Author Topic: Wow...  (Read 6104 times)

Silver Dragon

• Desert Nomad
  • Go rub two monkeys together and see what happens.
    • View Profile
Wow...
« on: October 24, 2010, 08:54:10 AM »
A new Fallout game drops less than a week ago and not a single new post about it...this place is officially dead, isn't it?  :(
LISTER: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.  In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. NO TOAST.
TOASTER: How 'bout a muffin?
LISTER: OR muffins!  OR muffins!  We don't LIKE muffins 'round here!  We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and DEFINITELY no smegging flapjacks!
TOASTER: Aah, so you're a waffle man!

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Wow...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »
Too busy playing it, haha.

But yeah, the boards are pretty dead,

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »
Haven't picked it up myself yet. I was actually kind of wondering, how that could be in the first place?

Agreed about the graveyardish atmosphere. Heheh. Personally, my posting seems to have degenerated into fire & forget, even if it wasn't meant to be like that.

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 12:32:01 AM »
So far it's pretty much more Fallout 3, which isn't a bad thing at all.

The story explains itself pretty well, how the setting actually works.

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 06:01:49 PM »
I like it a lot - it seems to be the deepest "roleplay" of the series so far. They also nerfed the traits you could pick in the beginning - no more being "gifted" and starting with six more attribute points (did anybody NOT take that one?)

Enjoying it now on normal difficulty, but I'll definitely be going through a second time on hardcore mode (ammo has weight, you need to eat and drink, etc).

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 03:01:12 PM »
I'm hitting up hardcore mode from the outset and it doesn't seem to have all that much of an impact, though you do have to restrict yourself to carrying ammo only for the weapons you're going to use if you don't want to keep running back to stow loot.
The biggest pain has been the need to drink, but if you don't mind a little radiation it's easier to have a quick sip from a puddle than it is to carry around bottled water.

lara

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 10:55:11 AM »
I just got back from vacation but I'm  decrypting my New Vegas files on Steam as I type.  I came here to see what people thing and found Silver Dragon's thread.
I had mentioned FNV last time I posted here a few weeks ago, but noone even seemed to have heard of it :(
I don't want to lose touch with people, but though I have a Facebook and a Twitter, I literally never go to either except to read other people's business. I can't imagine what I would put there!
So in case this forum does die (and I notice spam on main page from 10 days ago that hasnt been removed, so it's already rotting nicely :P) if anyone from the medium old-days wants to add me on MSN, my nick on that  is lara_fragilechild@yahoo.com.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »
I just got back from vacation but I'm  decrypting my New Vegas files on Steam as I type.  I came here to see what people thing and found Silver Dragon's thread.
I had mentioned FNV last time I posted here a few weeks ago, but noone even seemed to have heard of it :(
I don't want to lose touch with people, but though I have a Facebook and a Twitter, I literally never go to either except to read other people's business. I can't imagine what I would put there!
So in case this forum does die (and I notice spam on main page from 10 days ago that hasnt been removed, so it's already rotting nicely :P) if anyone from the medium old-days wants to add me on MSN, my nick on that  is lara_fragilechild@yahoo.com.

fragilechild? lol, that's a little too much like delicate flower for you.  ;)

Oh and I guess I should add that I intend to pick up FONV but I'm not buying new games much anymore. Civ V was my only one this year. So I'll wait till FONV drops to half price or less on Steam and then get it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 08:41:39 PM by Brugdor »
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Hatchetman

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 10:22:19 PM »
Everyone dispersed too far, I can't even find a good place to complain about ending sequences. The places I've drifted to barely understand Fallout at all.  :stunned:

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 08:05:31 PM »
Fallout New Vegas was something of a glitchy mess and I didn't enjoy it to the degree I did with Fallout 3 because of that, but it's still not a bad game.

As for the UV - its had a good innings, but all good things as they say. The place hasn't been the same for the last number of years. It's not the fault of anyone or everyone, most of us have just moved on as the years passed. Some have fadded into the wastes, some are wandering around in them, a few remain behind. This is only the 3rd time I've posted in over a year in my case. Maybe it'll live on, but the time may have finally come for some to let it slip into the annuals of history.

You can still find me on Xbox Live, though you'll never see me on Facebook, MySpace or whatnot as I still have a steadfast refusal to use them.  ;) I've had good times, bad times, made friends, lost friends, good decisions, bad decisions - but it was a good run. If all else fails, Turjan and I are still in regular contact and I see Kama now and then, so they'll know how to get hold of me.

On that note, I'll sign off for what's likely to be the final time. Goodbye, good luck and all the best for each of you in the future, whatever it holds.

Silver Dragon

• Desert Nomad
  • Go rub two monkeys together and see what happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 06:15:24 AM »
Fallout New Vegas was something of a glitchy mess and I didn't enjoy it to the degree I did with Fallout 3 because of that, but it's still not a bad game.

You know, I've played it through only once, but I tried to go everywhere conceivable and find as much of everything (as far as locations go, anyway) as I could, and I think it only crashed to desktop on me three...maybe four times in what was probably 60+ hours of gameplay.  Other than that, I experienced hardly any glitches (that I noticed, at least); there were a couple times when my character would get stuck in the curb or rocks or what have you if I crouched/uncrouched at just the wrong time, and then everything control-wise would lag/freeze for 10 seconds or so, then I would un-stick from the environment.  Other than that, I had a few random NPCs  (like just one of the 5 fire geckos that were trying to eat me) turn into 'flagged as unkillable' where they would just go unconscious instead of exploding into a puddle of gore.  Don't recall any other bugs, major or minor.  I'm playing through Dragon Age Origins: Awakening (its been sitting on my desk glaring at me incessantly since my birthday, so I figured I better play it) right now, then I'll probably have another go at Fallout New Vegas and see what other bugs I can find.

My only real complaint is that they chose to make it a pseudo-sand box world, unlike Fallout 3. FO3 you could literally go anywhere you could conceivably walk/hop/wiggle, there were no 'dead zones' except for the areas outside the bounds of the overland map.  FO:NV has multiple areas where you should be able to walk but are stopped by the 'invisible wall'...As such, for example,  instead of being able to walk over that ridge, I have to walk all the way around...
LISTER: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.  In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. NO TOAST.
TOASTER: How 'bout a muffin?
LISTER: OR muffins!  OR muffins!  We don't LIKE muffins 'round here!  We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and DEFINITELY no smegging flapjacks!
TOASTER: Aah, so you're a waffle man!

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 04:39:36 AM »
if anyone's still playing, the PS3 patch went up on Friday, and the 360 and PC patches are expected to be up first half of this week. i still have to do NCR and House playthoughs, and maybe try Hardcore mode. MAYBE. :P

source for patch news + patch notes:
http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/12/10/new-vegas-game-update-available-on-playstation-3-will-be-on-xbox-360-steam-next-week/

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 01:54:18 AM »
I can't play it anyway since the 360 decided to E74 the other Day (still under the 3-year mark, so it's covered). So I should be playing it again sometime next month.

Glitchiest. Game. Ever.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!