Author Topic: Brits to brainwash their kids with Global Warming propaganda  (Read 6477 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Brits to brainwash their kids with Global Warming propaganda
« on: August 15, 2007, 04:45:37 PM »
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2007320449,00.html

At the expense of teaching them about Churchill, Stalin, MLK and Hitler. What could possibly go wrong?

Yeah I know it's the Sun but it seems legit here.

The proposals will see traditional timetables torn up, with pupils focusing on modern “relevant” topics such as drug and booze abuse, climate change and GM foods.

Churchill — voted the greatest ever Briton — goes off the required lessons list, along with Hitler, Gandhi, Stalin and Martin Luther King.

There will also be no need to mention the Wars of the Roses, Elizabeth I or Henry VIII.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Brits to brainwash their kids with Global Warming propaganda
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 07:32:37 PM »
Eh, While wrong I think we should be much more pissed about history getting passed over due to NCLB.. It's the social studies that are the victoms of that POS legislation that should have only been passed as a last step instead of the 'first and only' step in education reform.

*edits to add* that's not to say that, if this is true, it is 'right'... but right now we have a simular and provable case of this at home that we should be much more pissed about before we start worrying about what the brits are doing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 07:34:37 PM by Celest »

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 08:04:47 PM »
The proposals will see traditional timetables torn up, with pupils focusing on modern “relevant” topics such as...GM foods.

Well of course that's relevant. Nothing worse than giving your GM the wrong food. He just might kill your character out of spite.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 08:43:10 PM »
The proposals will see traditional timetables torn up, with pupils focusing on modern “relevant” topics such as...GM foods.

Well of course that's relevant. Nothing worse than giving your GM the wrong food. He just might kill your character out of spite.

LOL!

Top Ten Signs Your DM (or GM) is Too Hard - Cut and pasted

1. You've been playing for 3 weeks, and have 76 dead characters.
   2. You're playing in Darksun, but still only use Method I to roll characters.
   3. Your fighter gets a bit tipsy, and piches the barmaid's bottom. The barmaid pulls out her bow and her arrow of fighter slaying.
   4. Your 15th level thief just had the snot kicked out of him by an eight year old girl.
   5. There are lethal traps on every latrine door.
   6. Most peasants have 20 hit dice, and many know the power word, kill spell.
   7. Somehow you've done it. Your party has slain Emberburn, the most fearsome and powerful Red Dragon the DM has ever created. The DM stares at you in shock, still staring down at the "1" he rolled on the dragon's last attack. After poking him in the arm for five minutes, chanting "horde�.horde�..horde�." over and over, he looks up at you. The look of surprise fades, and an evil grin replaces it. "As it happens," the DM says with glee, "the dragon had cast project image just before the party entered the cavern�.".
   8. Your mage has an argument with a local spice merchant. Finally, annoyed to the breaking point, he casts charm on the merchant. Sadly, the merchant is a retired 22nd level elven mage. Shaking your head, you reach for the statistic rolling dice once again�
   9. Trees can, and often do, explode in huge, 20d6 hit die fireballs. No explanation is ever offfered.
  10. Regular rabbits are gone. They have been replaced by the killer-rabbit from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 08:45:25 PM »
Mmmm I should post this for balance.

Top Ten Signs Your DM is Too Easy

1. The red dragon suddenly develops a chest cold, and cannot use it's breath weapon.
   2. Your party sneaks into the lich's secret dungeons. Luckily for them, the lich has been born-again, and sent all his undead minions off to do charity work for the poor.
   3. The phrase "Oh geez, what do I need with another +5 vorpal longsword" is used during game play.
   4. Your cleric is on a first name basis with his god, because of all the times the god has had to pop in to save the cleric's butt.
   5. Any major city has at least one "Ressurect-a-matic" on every street corner.
   6. All the city's guards are first level, and are easily spooked by the flamefinger cantrip.
   7. Bubba the Mighty, the most powerful and evil mage in the world, has a soft spot for fast-talking halflings. Instead of casting meteor swarm and annihilating the party, he decides to teleport away.
   8. The party is dividing treasure. The fighter says "Ok, who wants the staff of the magi? Anybody? Anyone at all? Ok, we leave it leaning against a tree stump."
   9. The DM uses a four sider to roll monster attacks.
  10. The gods in your campaign worship the player characters.
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 09:55:19 PM »

5. Any major city has at least one "Ressurect-a-matic" on every street corner.

8. The party is dividing treasure. The fighter says "Ok, who wants the staff of the magi? Anybody? Anyone at all? Ok, we leave it leaning against a tree stump."

these basically were the norm in our early campaigns.

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 10:52:35 PM »
With my current Eberron game that I'm playing in, its usually:
Me: "Okay, so what do we find? Cash. Cool. Any scrolls?"
This is normally a poke at the GM constantly rolling scrolls for random loot.
GM: "Not this time. Remember that fireball your wizard cast? Yeah, its all gone."
Wizard: "I dont care. I take his spellbook."
GM: "Uhh, that was made of paper too, dude."
Wizard: "Doesnt it get a save?"
GM: "It wasn't magical."
Wizard: "DAMMIT!"
Me: "Oh well, I guess I'll take this money and take it to the bank."

Thats right. Our GM is so harsh (read: realistic) that the wizard has to prepare properly if he doesnt wanna destroy the loot, and I, the barbarian, have to visit the damn Kunderak Bank Every freakin adventure. I swear, I'm gonna start implementing my "Dwarves give me interest or they get my axe" plan. I need more lewt >.<

Anyway, as for global warming: Meh? Kids need to be scared that they're ruining our planet. Then they'll fix everything and I can go back to living like a bum :P
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Sweetpea

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 05:09:46 PM »
in a bid to get the thread back on track:

I think the fact that its the Sun reporting is enough warning that the facts are perhaps a bit skewed.

If anything, those topics should be covered in Modern Studies or Social Studies and Hitler and Stalin left in the History department so there would be no need to scrap the 'traditional timetables.'

the Sun is a waste of the paper its printed on and if I see anyone reading it i'm likely to jump to the conclusion that they are an arsehole.
Thomas Jefferson: Question with boldness even the existance of a god; because if there be one,  he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.

Turjan

• Wasteland Denizen
  • You cannot kill a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 08:26:51 PM »
The Sun is shite - it's little more than a joke newspaper these days.
The state of British education these days is also shite. Therefore what you're looking at here is shite squared.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6949084.stm

Have a look at this Beeb article today - it details an amazing Increase in top grades at A-Level. For the 25th year running in fact.
This is also shite.
I don't mean the Beeb - they're not shite. Not quite, not yet anyway. What I mean is that the whole education grades thing is complete and utter bollocks. I mean, look at it logically : grades have increased for the 25th year straight? What, so 25 years ago, bugger all people passed their exams and were all badly educated morons were they? I think not.

The sad truth of today's youth in Britain is that they're being conned and deceived into believing the education they're getting is good when in actual fact it's a pale shadow of the education I received as a kid. Young Brits today can't write properly, they often are incapable of doing even simple maths, and their general knowledge can best be described as pitiful. But hey, they all got A-Level passes so obviously everything's okay, yeah?

Well no, it isn't.
You can give a kid leaving school as many nice printed certificates as you want saying they've passed all their exams, but they're not worth shit if the exams they passed were deliberately mutilated and dumbed down to make the pass stats look good. Employers today know that a prospective job candidate will be able to present them with a list of passed exams, but they also know that list means nothing at all. It quite literally isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

I want to know exactly what a kid needs to do these days to actually fail a school subject in Britain...

Bah and indeed humbug >:(

So you'll forgive me if I can't find it within myself to raise more than a yawn at some bullshit scare story in that fish'n'chip rag The Sun because it's already too late to start being bothered about declining standards in UK education. But regardless of that, the term "brainwash" in the subject of this thread is needlessly emotive and biased - but then coming from Brugdor this isn't exactly a revelation is it? I mean like...what else is new?
:sleeping:

Irrelevant point : mentioning global warming
Important point : realising that the whole UK education system is on a steep downward slide.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 08:55:18 PM »
The Sun is shite - it's little more than a joke newspaper these days.
The state of British education these days is also shite. Therefore what you're looking at here is shite squared.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6949084.stm

Saw this and thought of you after reading the post.

Pardon the language.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/seethroughhero/WTFISTHISSHIT.jpg

Sweetpea

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 12:26:54 PM »
I heard the other day that 4% of primary school kids still cant read by the time they get to high school?!!!!

so why the fuck are they getting to go to high school?!!! keep them in primary school for fuck sake and teach them til they learn!

its not That hard!! dumb bastards
Thomas Jefferson: Question with boldness even the existance of a god; because if there be one,  he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 10:56:25 PM »
I dun need to learn me some werds as I've already got me enuff troubles tryins to catch mah sistah.
AHYUK
:P
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Turjan

• Wasteland Denizen
  • You cannot kill a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 06:50:04 AM »
Hmm...I like this image -

- and will probably use it as & when the occasion warrants on the board ;D