Author Topic: I love Saganaki  (Read 6980 times)

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
I love Saganaki
« on: August 07, 2007, 09:38:21 PM »
Fried goat cheese. Yum!
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
Re: I love Saganaki
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 10:00:25 PM »
Can you make Toastados out of it?

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 11:26:39 PM »
Can you make Toastados out of it?

Probably not, but you might be able to sort of dip tostados in it.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Unwashed_Amazon

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 03:01:36 AM »
I'm actually eating this tonight for my boyfriend's birthday.  He is going to put brandy on it and set it on fire.

He's a good guy, you know.

Unwashed_Amazon

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 11:25:39 PM »
I also ate lamb yesterday.  Mmm, innocence.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 01:44:51 PM »
I'm actually eating this tonight for my boyfriend's birthday.  He is going to put brandy on it and set it on fire.

Did he say "Oopa!" when he did this. It's just not the same without a good "Oopa!", you know.

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 11:17:39 PM »
I think the more traditional "My Hair is on FIRE!" repeated over and over quite happily makes up for the lack of "oopa"
:)
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Larspeart

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 06:11:57 PM »
Next time, pour a little Tsipouri or Ouzo on-top before setting it alight.  The anise flavor adds adelightful touch, and the higher alcohol content in those two will do a two-fold bonus.  Higher temptaure flambee point will give you better browning and caramelization, and it's just a bit more of a dramatic presentation (and authentic).

Larsy, since he last was on here, has become quite the encyclopedia of cocktail/cooking/spirits knowledge. I was just at the International Cocktail and Spirits Festival in fact.  Major celeb-action there... buying lowly ME drinks!  ha!
We're only immortal
For a limited time.

www.myspace.com/kristopherw

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 09:39:15 PM »
Next time, pour a little Tsipouri or Ouzo on-top before setting it alight.  The anise flavor adds adelightful touch, and the higher alcohol content in those two will do a two-fold bonus. 

I've always seen it spelled Tsipouro. In any case, neither of these necessarily have more alcohol than brandy. All sit around 40% ABV on the low end (Ouzo bottoming out at 37.5%), with some Eastern European fruit brandies getting up to 70%. (And cognac brandy after distillation but before aging is around 70%. They water it down after the aging to 40%.)

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 10:42:14 PM »
They water it down after the aging to 40%.)

The bastards!  :beadyeyes2:
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

JC

• Wasteland Denizen
  • My Being is Zorg!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 10:53:18 PM »

I've always seen it spelled Tsipouro. In any case, neither of these necessarily have more alcohol than brandy. All sit around 40% ABV on the low end (Ouzo bottoming out at 37.5%), with some Eastern European fruit brandies getting up to 70%. (And cognac brandy after distillation but before aging is around 70%. They water it down after the aging to 40%.)

Correct, what you need is some Hungarian Palinka.  It's the peasant way to brush your teeth!

Unwashed_Amazon

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 10:57:45 PM »

Did he say "Oopa!" when he did this. It's just not the same without a good "Oopa!", you know.

Yes, he did!

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 01:50:31 AM »

Yes, he did!

Excellent!

Although I'm now in the mood to go out and eat Greek food.

Larspeart

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 02:23:11 AM »
Once you go Greek, you'll never flip back.

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

www.myspace.com/kristopherw