Author Topic: twitter  (Read 6460 times)

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
twitter
« on: April 08, 2009, 08:21:31 PM »
what is this???

I've never heard the term...like EVER..until this last week, and now I hear the term a dozen times a day.

I realize I could wiki it - but then I'd not have a reason to post something!!!

OK - so I wiki'd it before I posted this....and it's been around since 06??? What the heck, how can I not have heard if it? Is it mainly a US thing?

Still, comments on this strange thing I do not know about would be appreciated. :D
"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: twitter
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 12:32:47 AM »
as far as i know twitter is a myspace type of teen thing for those who feel that everyone everywhere needs to know about what they are doing.

i have heard that because of twitter an international kidnapping didnt end in murder or anything. cant quite remember too many details of that story.

overall i would say that twitter is the younger sibling that wants to be cool in the family where facebook is the sorority/fraternity child and myspace is the emo kid.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 01:45:45 AM »
A waste of technology is what it is..... just like 99% of texting  :inquisitive: and heely's.  ::)
Back from the Wastes after far, far to long....

To those who remember such things, Was once Known as "Darkness Flame" (A looooong time ago)

Turjan

• Wasteland Denizen
  • You cannot kill a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 01:46:46 AM »
overall i would say that twitter is the younger sibling that wants to be cool in the family where facebook is the sorority/fraternity child and myspace is the emo kid.
A very apt description of all of those I would say. Or you could say Facebook is the Xbox, Myspace is the PS3, and Twitter is the Wii :nice:

The impression I get about Twitter is that its 'angle' is to offer more of a sense of immediacy, like a sort of blog equivalent of phone SMS messaging without actually totally conforming to the whole online IM feel.

However, as an anti-social "bah humbug!" hermit, I have to add that any info I possess about social networking on t'internets is generally completely hearsay, so make of that what you will ;D

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 01:59:51 AM »
turj'

i'm avid nintendo fan i WOULD NOT akin twitter as wii. i'm almost offended that you would.

if to go onto that sort of argument. twitter is not the next generation in gaming. wii will change what gaming will become if only due to the advancements of the wireless technology.

but i'm not going to start comparing game systems. i know people who would kill me for trying
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 03:39:28 AM »
Here's what Twitter is to me.

8:59: EATING BREAKFAST!

9:03: OMG! Chulula and Cheese on Eggs. OMG!!! YUMMY!!!

10:17: Watching Gilligan's Island.

10:29: Am I the first person to wonder why the Professor could build a reactor out of coconuts but couldn't fix a boat?

11:33: BORED!!! *YAWN*

12:00: Neighbors outside. SHUP UP!!!! OMG!

12:03: Neighbors STILL outside

12:13: Nightbors fighting outside.

12:44: Should I call the police?

1:01: Thinking about calling the police.

1:23: Fell asleep.

1:34 Neightbors gone. Thinking about ordering pizza.

1:36 What do you think? Peperoni or veggie?

1:39: Maybe a cheeseburger? I CAN HAS CHEESEBURGER? LOL!

...and so on...
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 02:08:38 PM »
For a different perspective, Randy Cassingham, one of the pioneers of internet-based business speaks out about twitter:  http://www.thisistrue.com/blog-twitter_why_you_should_care.html
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 06:56:52 PM »
I signed up recently for business reasons. Having written two books and making my living online, etc, I think it's probably pretty useful in that sense. Yea, I'm not going to tell people what I had for breakfast (coffee, oatmeal, more coffee), but posting links to cool stuff (and yes, my latest blog posts and business stuff) is likely useful to other entrepreneurs.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 08:29:14 PM »
I signed up recently for business reasons. Having written two books and making my living online, etc, I think it's probably pretty useful in that sense.

True. It can be used in the professional sense and in the Diamond Gypsy sense. The thing with Twitter is: People that think something isn't interesting enough to post on a blog suddenly becomes interesting on Twitter.

No it doesn't. You certainly have the right to talk about eating breakfast but it's just not that interesting to me. Even if you do photograph it. =)

Oh! To the people I'm following. I'm not saying YOUR posts are inane. I'm talking about the people I removed.
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 02:51:06 AM »
I've never understood twitter.

It's like starting a forum where you post everytime you break wind, and the only user there is you.

Seriously - who reads other people's twitter posts?

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 02:03:00 AM »
Twitter Creator On Iran: 'I Never Intended For Twitter To Be Useful'

SAN FRANCISCO—Creator Jack Dorsey was shocked and saddened this week after learning that his social networking device, Twitter, was being used to disseminate pertinent and timely information during the recent civil unrest in Iran. "Twitter was intended to be a way for vacant, self-absorbed egotists to share their most banal and idiotic thoughts with anyone pathetic enough to read them," said a visibly confused Dorsey, claiming that Twitter is at its most powerful when it makes an already attention-starved populace even more needy for constant affirmation. "When I heard how Iranians were using my beloved creation for their own means—such as organizing a political movement and informing the outside world of the actions of a repressive regime—I couldn't believe they'd ruined something so beautiful, simple, and absolutely pointless." Dorsey said he is already working on a new website that will be so mind-numbingly useless that Iranians will not even be able to figure out how to operate it.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 05:54:11 AM »
I've never understood twitter.

It's like starting a forum where you post everytime you break wind, and the only user there is you.

But enough about Diamond Gypsy!

*hears roaring laughter from the crowd*

lara

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 01:09:43 AM »
The fact that Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore twitter is enough to put me off. But then i also hate anything that allows yet more people to monitor my insanely boring doings :P

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 05:15:15 PM »
Oh oh, I got one.. I've been thinking about this one since April:

"Twitter? More like twatter!"

*looks expectantly at audience*

*skulks away*

karategoldfish

• Wasteland Denizen
  • uv mac enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • http://karategoldfish.livejournal.com
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 03:39:35 AM »
bah! you naysayers. i really like twitter. and yes, i read what other people write as well as my own ramblings. it's like blogging: v. 3.0. and fakechucknorris, rainnwilson, tinafey, and robcordry post really hilarious tweets. so humbug to you humbuggers. :)
love, fish