Author Topic: What's going on in your life?  (Read 541485 times)

Dourak

• Desert Nomad
  • "Lave plus blanc que blanc."
    • View Profile
    • Please Wait Here
Re: What's going on in your life?
« Reply #870 on: September 03, 2011, 04:20:47 AM »
But in another way, as everybody noticed (because of my incredibly-well-wrote english), I'm french, so I live in a kind of troubled country.

At least you don't live in Greece.

Well, the same thing will come soon in France, so ... just a matter of time.
I was also refering to the raising of nationalism. And also the little nervous guy, who's is convinced he is the president. And he is. *sob*

I love your accent.

LMAO!

No but serously, Durak, Welcome. Bonjour and such. Ok, all the French I know, sorry :(

Bonjour à toi aussi. :)
Don't worry, I suppose french isn't a really usefull language anyway. Except if you like terrible songs or very bad series.
But, just, what means LMAO ? Lemmings Mothers Across Ocean ?

I love your accent.

gentleman mode/on "Merci beaucoup monsieur ..."
/off

Some red wine, maybe ? ^^
Reminds me a SMBC. http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2343#comic
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 04:29:46 AM by Dourak »
Can't turn a washing machine in time-travelling machine. But a friend of my cousin said he did.

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 03, 2011, 09:53:04 PM »
my plans to try deep fried cola syrup may have once again been foiled by nature.

in the last year or so, i've bought a bass, went to Philly (going again in a few weeks), did some animation work for Public Health (free and payed), did an open mic set, met the exeuctive producer of Gears of War, and saw CJ Ramone do an hour and a half Ramones set (closest i'll ever get to seeing the Ramones).

oh, and i made a Flash cartoon. made my love-hate relationship with Flash a bit more bearable.
(channel is a bit messy since i didn't organize it)

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 05, 2011, 07:40:09 PM »
But, just, what means LMAO ? Lemmings Mothers Across Ocean ?

Old internet abbreviation for "Laughing My Ass Off".
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #873 on: September 07, 2011, 03:32:17 PM »

But in another way, as everybody noticed (because of my incredibly-well-wrote english), I'm french, so I live in a kind of troubled country.

Alright, I'm no longer the only Frenchie on the board! I'm actually American, but my grandfather emigrated from France.

I'm sorry to hear about everything going on in Europe in general, especially with all of the insane wiretapping and the clamping down on freedom of press that's happening there. : (

This too, shall pass. We hope. My cousin actually went to Paris to learn to be a pastry chef, and then just decided to stay, so she tells us every now and again what's going on over there.

In my life? I'm currently working yet another job (neet to get with Night Owl about one of those cards), but I'm fairly sure I'm going to stick to this one. I'm doing linux administration, along with developing a lot of web applications. But I'm in the cattle industry, so I'm surrounded by cowboys, which is actually kinda cool because that's how I grew up.

The company is pretty small (as far as staff, it's like 20 people full-time but it's a multi-million dollar operation with over a thousand sales reps, typical for these types of companies), so they let me pick my own title. I told them Code Wrangler.

We'll see if that shows up on my business card.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 08, 2011, 03:19:08 PM »
Let's see, there's lots of stuff for an update.

My mom got diagnosed with a rare liver cancer a couple of years ago. She got a heavy dose of chemo for a while, the tumor shrank quite a bit but not enough where they could remove it surgically. Her body started to reject the chemo so they gave her a break from it. It's been over a year and she still isn't back on it. The tumor has just started to show some signs of life again but not to the point where they feel like she has to resume chemo. She's doing fine, is still very active, and has a positive attitude about the whole ordeal. That's where things are atm.

For myself, I've taken on the task of trying to lose enough weight that my sleep apnea goes away on its own. I tried surgery a couple of years ago and everything was great for about 2 months and then it basically all went back to where it was except I required roughly half the air pressure that I used to. So it became obvious that I had to tackle this thing on my own somehow. I've lost about 30 pounds, weigh less now than I did 10 years ago when all of this started, and I'm walking every day for at least 25 mins or so.

Oh and after 20+ years of having it long, I've cut my hair short as of a few weeks ago.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #875 on: September 08, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »

Oh and after 20+ years of having it long, I've cut my hair short as of a few weeks ago.

I can't believe you survived Hotlanta for 20+ years with long hair.

Grats on the weight loss, man!

I've lost about 40 pounds in the last 2 years, and I'm still fighting to lose another 30 or so.

My dad had to recently start wearing a CPAP, so we've been trying to convince him to lose weight. He only start snoring really bad when he got over a certain weight line, and then the apnea happened once he hit another line, but he has refused to see the correlation.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 08, 2011, 05:12:28 PM »

I can't believe you survived Hotlanta for 20+ years with long hair.

Grats on the weight loss, man!

I've lost about 40 pounds in the last 2 years, and I'm still fighting to lose another 30 or so.

My dad had to recently start wearing a CPAP, so we've been trying to convince him to lose weight. He only start snoring really bad when he got over a certain weight line, and then the apnea happened once he hit another line, but he has refused to see the correlation.

Grats on your weight loss as well. It sure feels better not to lug around all that extra fat eh?

As far as your dad goes, if I can be of any help as far as info regarding apnea, cpaps, surgical procedures, etc then let me know. I hope you're able to encourage him to lose the weight. 
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #877 on: September 08, 2011, 05:37:31 PM »

Grats on your weight loss as well. It sure feels better not to lug around all that extra fat eh?

As far as your dad goes, if I can be of any help as far as info regarding apnea, cpaps, surgical procedures, etc then let me know. I hope you're able to encourage him to lose the weight.

This is the least I've weighed since college. I'm trying to get back to what I weighed right before my freshman year of college, which was 190 (so the goal is more or less getting back under 200). The problem is that back then I never worked out and had insanely high body fat %, so I was a skinny fat kid. After four years of working 60 hour weeks and practicing piano/bass for 5 hours a day, I was just a regular fat kid (around 280).

Right now, I can lift more than I ever have (and for the first time in my life can do pullups... as in more than one!), so I'm not sure if I can get back down under 200 without starving myself or running a lot. But yeah, I'm amazed at the little things, like being able to kneel to do some housework for a long period of time without being in extreme pain.

With my dad, he tried a bunch of fad diets like HcG and that weird drinking a ton of cranberry juice diet, but we're trying to just get him to cut his carbs. He tends to stress-eat things like crackers and candy, so he's just putting on a lot of abdominal weight. My dad was one of those guys who was always skinny and tall and now he just has this huge gut, so he looks like a potato with toothpicks sticking out of it. Or Hank Hill.

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 08, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »
So, I finally bought New Vegas! It took it's sweet time, and now I'm almost nervous to play the game. After some furious replaying of FO3, I think the main story rocks, but the game could have used a helluva lot more attention to detail. For instance, Shrapnel doesn't even seem to notice that his partner has been sold to slavers or that he is even gone... and I would have thought that a nuclear explosion in the neighborhood would have initiated a bit more conversation among the wastelanders... :)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 08, 2011, 09:02:10 PM »

This is the least I've weighed since college. I'm trying to get back to what I weighed right before my freshman year of college, which was 190 (so the goal is more or less getting back under 200). The problem is that back then I never worked out and had insanely high body fat %, so I was a skinny fat kid. After four years of working 60 hour weeks and practicing piano/bass for 5 hours a day, I was just a regular fat kid (around 280).

Right now, I can lift more than I ever have (and for the first time in my life can do pullups... as in more than one!), so I'm not sure if I can get back down under 200 without starving myself or running a lot. But yeah, I'm amazed at the little things, like being able to kneel to do some housework for a long period of time without being in extreme pain.

With my dad, he tried a bunch of fad diets like HcG and that weird drinking a ton of cranberry juice diet, but we're trying to just get him to cut his carbs. He tends to stress-eat things like crackers and candy, so he's just putting on a lot of abdominal weight. My dad was one of those guys who was always skinny and tall and now he just has this huge gut, so he looks like a potato with toothpicks sticking out of it. Or Hank Hill.

Yeah I'd be happy with anything 200 or below myself. Getting down to my high school weight of 180 would be beyond awesome. I hit 170 in high school once but it was really a bit too low as my body struggled more than a little with it. Dizzy spells and such. The last time I saw 200 was 15 years ago. I looked and felt pretty good at the time so I think I could be happy with that.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 09, 2011, 05:05:53 AM »
Start lifting weights as well. Muscle burns fat.

I was 6' 1.5" and almost 230 pounds by the spring of 2004. I started running, changed my eating habits, and later added weight training. By spring 2006 I was down to 190 lbs. with probably an additional 10 lbs. of muscle beyond what I had two years ago. So I lost 50 lbs in two years. I did it healthily and have kept the weight off. I'm still at the same weight by maintaining the same regimen. (Muscle memory kicked in so I'm not gaining muscle anymore. In order to put on more muscle I'd really have to up my weight training regimen to a higher point than I have desire, time, or need for.)

So I've been keeping it off for 5 years now. I've been as much as 5 lbs lighter and as much as 5 lbs heavier, but I've been pretty much holding at 190. A very healthy weight for my height and body type.

Diets don't work. All they will do is allow you to lose weight quickly, but you will soon hit a plateau where you stop. And once you go off the diet, you'll gain all the weight back because you actually need to train your body to both intake and burn calories differently from how it currently does it. Your body will not change without applying stress. (Preferably healthy stress.) And it takes 90 days or so for all your body's cells to die and be replaced, so it can take 3 months for you to see any dramatic difference in your body type.

But congrats to both of you for the weight loss. It's a slow process, but the payoff is worth it.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #881 on: September 09, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »

I was 6' 1.5" and almost 230 pounds by the spring of 2004. I started running, changed my eating habits, and later added weight training. By spring 2006 I was down to 190 lbs. with probably an additional 10 lbs. of muscle beyond what I had two years ago. So I lost 50 lbs in two years. I did it healthily and have kept the weight off. I'm still at the same weight by maintaining the same regimen. (Muscle memory kicked in so I'm not gaining muscle anymore. In order to put on more muscle I'd really have to up my weight training regimen to a higher point than I have desire, time, or need for.)

So I've been keeping it off for 5 years now. I've been as much as 5 lbs lighter and as much as 5 lbs heavier, but I've been pretty much holding at 190. A very healthy weight for my height and body type.

Diets don't work. All they will do is allow you to lose weight quickly, but you will soon hit a plateau where you stop. And once you go off the diet, you'll gain all the weight back because you actually need to train your body to both intake and burn calories differently from how it currently does it. Your body will not change without applying stress. (Preferably healthy stress.) And it takes 90 days or so for all your body's cells to die and be replaced, so it can take 3 months for you to see any dramatic difference in your body type.

But congrats to both of you for the weight loss. It's a slow process, but the payoff is worth it.

Hehe. My friend, who is a dietician, said "Diets are great. If by diet, you mean what you're going to eat every day for the rest of your life."

Also, I like that you put 6' 1.5''.

I'm going to start saying I'm 5' 10.5''

On a related note, this isn't my update, but I thought I should out him to the village. Brugdor got a d3 beta invite. Let's all shun him together.

/shun

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 09, 2011, 02:37:24 PM »

On a related note, this isn't my update, but I thought I should out him to the village. Brugdor got a d3 beta invite. Let's all shun him together.

/shun

I could just *Dwarf strut* and leave it at that but I feel the need to point out a couple of things. First, there's no NDA so what I'm about to tell you isn't super secret. Second, I'm one of many who are currently experiencing a bug that crashes the game as soon as you get to the character creation screen. So we get a brief glimpse of the Barbarian on that screen and then crash. It's rather cruel really.  :(

Despite this, I did manage to play for about 2 hours last night after spamming text into the character name field long enough to have the Create button light up. This morning it's back to being crash-tastic though. So I'm eagerly awaiting a patch.

The game is very similar to I and II. It appears there will be crafting of some sort as you are able to both sell and break down items you find no matter where you are. I've played the Barbarian for a bit and the Demon Hunter for a longer stretch. I enjoyed the DH more just for being ranged.

BlueCross

• Something is supposed to go here??
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Addict
  • or perhaps it goes here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 09, 2011, 05:44:05 PM »

That's awesome, nice work.

It turns out we are very similar in build (although I am at the 'top end' now), plus I'm 6' 2.25" although there is a suspicion that I may now be 6' 1.75" (Old Fart Shrinkage).  I'm happy to see you were able to lose 50 pounds; that would be my ultimate goal but I would settle for 30.  I also completely agree with your regimen: take it off slowly and soundly, and keep it off by doing the same thing.

Congrats.
"for the record, I'm not some kind of psychotic provincialist." - Than (ed: Cit. required)
"I lost my game of NT: Garry's fault. Global warming: Garry's fault. End-of-the-Universe: Garry's fault. See it always fits. Anyway, what is Garry up to? No good I bet." - Laszlo
"As for your French, it's probably better than the average English-speaking Frenchman's Finnish! (Or something.)" - wa
"I'm back at Thunderfalls now and every minute thinking of poking a bandit in the eye with a fishhook." - Preyveil
"and yet still nothing has made it to BC's signature!"-KMD

A.S.S.R.

• Desert Nomad
  • The Claw!
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 17, 2011, 11:31:06 AM »
And the bungee snaps back.

I've just moved to California (Bay Area) for grad school. In the past 2 years I finished my undergrad in the Toronto area, and interned in Alberta and France. Life is busy and frightening.

Thought I'd check in for my 10-year anniversary as a UV'er (Yikes!). I joined when I was 12.

- A.S.S.R./Deathclaw/Mike