Author Topic: What are your thoughts after finishing Fallout 4?  (Read 8661 times)

TheManWithAGoldenEyeball

• Tangerine Target
  • That feeling when your last mini nuke misses D:
    • View Profile
What are your thoughts after finishing Fallout 4?
« on: January 23, 2016, 11:41:21 PM »
I just recently finished Fallout 4, and I'm a bit underwhelmed. I feel it's real strength is in the endgame. I Got tired of helping settlements again and again with the Minutemen and training relentless recruits with The Brotherhood of Steel. I just started doing my own thing and boy was it better than tedious quests. The south is the most expensive part of the game and now that I'm a higher level it isn't TOO much of a challenge anymore, but it's still dangerous. All the places I still haven't discovered, and all the bosses I haven't fought are still out their, and waiting for me to find them. Just wanted to see what your guys opinions are.    :D

-TheManWithAGoldenEyeball
To See all is to know all that is coming.
To Know all is to know everything that has happened.
Between these two you are given a choice.
Knowing all?
Or
Seeing all?

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What are your thoughts after finishing Fallout 4?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 08:58:02 PM »
Haven't actually finished yet.... it's been fun so far. Always something to do is nice!

/hands you a cow suit. Nods at you to put it on.

/gives out sticks and tangerines to everyone else.

Welcome to the Unwashed Village!

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 03:05:34 AM »
/gives out sticks and tangerines to everyone else.

do we have enough people for a proper welcome?
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 06:12:17 PM »
:pelts with tangerines:

I haevn't played it yet  :-X
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Dessert Ranger

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 06:19:07 PM »
I made a post kind of answering this earlier so I'll make the small points I made of things I didn't like about it

1. Repetitive quests are good, but it feels weird to have a large parts of the quests being "Go here and kill everything"
2. No weapon degradation results in weapons being random generated "loot" like from Borderlands
3. Speech options are sometimes an illusion of choice
4. Special skills are changeable so you can literally become a god with tens across the board through grinding
5. No Ron Perlman minus a few seconds at the beginning (Not even the Narrator)

So... yeah I probably missed a few and some people might disagree but that's fine.

But it'll help

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 12:46:58 AM »
To be honest, the repetitive quests are a dream come true for me as I felt that Fallout 3 sorely lacked anything like it. As for the ending of 4, my biggest complaint is the ending slideshow thing... To me, it just doesn't make any sense, what the character says, like the 'war never changes' line is so forced in, that you can see the scratches on it, from where someone was a little too rough with the crowbar.

Barring that... I thought that the rest of it was effective, I've done minutemen and Institute and both turned out okay.
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

Dessert Ranger

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 03:46:38 AM »
To be honest, the repetitive quests are a dream come true for me as I felt that Fallout 3 sorely lacked anything like it. As for the ending of 4, my biggest complaint is the ending slideshow thing... To me, it just doesn't make any sense, what the character says, like the 'war never changes' line is so forced in, that you can see the scratches on it, from where someone was a little too rough with the crowbar.

Barring that... I thought that the rest of it was effective, I've done minutemen and Institute and both turned out okay.

I liked what they did with the Brotherhood at least
But it'll help

TheManWithAGoldenEyeball

• Tangerine Target
  • That feeling when your last mini nuke misses D:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 03:07:36 AM »
Thanks everyone who responded! As you can all probably already tell I'm new here and all. I've always have bad experiences with bigger places like this and when I heard about this place I thought it was a dream come true! A tight nit community that is more mature than the average forum? Sign me up! Thanks all for the warm welcome. Hope to talk to you all again soon!
To See all is to know all that is coming.
To Know all is to know everything that has happened.
Between these two you are given a choice.
Knowing all?
Or
Seeing all?

Paladin Shlumps

• Tangerine Target
  • The preferable alternative to communism, is death.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 07:19:21 PM »
I'm not sure what it is, but it really felt like Fallout 4 didn't have has much content as Fallout 3 or New Vegas in terms of quests.
The preferable alternative to communism, is death.

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 11:31:44 PM »
*mandatory barrage of citrus fruit*

Welcome!

Ahem.. I pretty much stopped playing Fallout 4 after the main quest was completed. I chose to side with the Minute Men, and after discovering all buildable sites, I lost interest in the generic quests. For my part, they might as well have left out all the random quests as they add nothing to the experience.

I did find some enjoyment in just running around and exploring a bit, but there is little challenge in combat after playing most of the game, so that only took me a few hours until I got bored of that. I hope the DLC will provide some more content.

If not, I still haven't played any of the FO3 or F:NV DLC yet.

Dirty Mailman

• Tangerine Target
  • Pelt me with tangerines until I change this text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 07:31:39 AM »
I didn't finish the game.
I waited so long and all I got was skyrim with guns and a new paint job.
Failout 4 is like a really bad joke.

TK

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Too lazy to type Throwback Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 08:53:51 PM »
Finished? I've barely even started, I got myself a gaming machine especially for it but haven't had time to play yet. Will probably need to upgrade again for the 3D release.

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 05:19:38 PM »
A couple of months ago, I bought an Xbox One. Later, I bought Fallout 4, and after about 50 hours I finished one of the main storyline paths.  I’m a little late, but I thought now would be a good opportunity to take a break from my hiatus to talk about my thoughts on Fallout 4 with you.
   One of my biggest feelings about the game throughout was how “samey” it felt to FO3 at a core game DNA level. Mostly, this meant the limitations and what I expected to be able to do within the engine. Given that this is a Besthesda game, and their open world RPG games are similar with marginal changes, I wasn’t very surprised. A good example of this was the introduction. While it was a refreshing change to start the game before the War, seeing my home, my wife and my baby boy, it all was so obviously limited. The wife was so lifeless, it was disturbing. When the vault-tec salesman knocked at the door, I didn’t want to answer; I would rather explore the house, so I did. I ignored him for almost an hour, the man constantly knocking, me thinking “doesn’t he get the point!?” while my wife pestered me to “just get the door honey”. For a fucking hour. This was when I realized the game would not take a realistic approach to choice, and I would have to talk to the man to finish the introduction. Maybe if I never answered him, the sun would never set and the bombs would never fall, but it was not meant to be. Oh, Bethesda.
   So at this point I literally hated my wife, and got to listen to some asshole try to tell me about how I was “specially selected” to stay in a vault, no matter how many times I picked the “Go away, not interested” option. What a great way to start. 5 minutes after talking to him, LO AND FUCKING BEHOLD, the sirens go off. How convenient. The bombs are dropping, and our neighbors are running around in a frenzied panic. Luckily, I was just chosen to be saved! In the street, soldiers are directing people to a nearby vault. Me being a rebel, I ran in the opposite direction only to be instantly vaporized by atomic bombs  as soon as I crossed my neighborhood boundary. I mean, this happened at least a dozen times. This was a railroad, and I wasn’t getting off the damn train. So I follow these guys to the vault. Theres some losers being outside crying about not being “chosen” to go in, but I don’t give a fuck about them because I’m special.
   So myself, my wife and baby boy get inside the vault. As we go down the elevator we get to see a beautiful nuclear sunset. Inside, its pretty chill (pun intended heh). The goofy G-men fucks tell us to go to these weird pods to be “decontaminated” or something. Come to find out, it was all a sham, and everyone was put in cryostasis for some reason. This part was actually an interesting twist, even if it took control away from the player. You get to experience a deep freeze in first person, you see your wife’s pod being opened up by some strange dude who takes your baby and shoots her in the face while you stand there helpless. WHAT THE FUCK! But like I said earlier, I hated her, and she didn’t do anything for me in the introduction to make me care so that point was pretty null.  Somehow, my pod opens on its own and I am able to escape the vault. Theres nobody around, and some time has passed (spoiler: its been 200 years, and your son is now an old man trying to take over the world, who shares zero emotional connection with you at all) and I’m finally free to explore the world at my whim.
   I went into a lot of detail about the intro, but I think it says a lot about the game as a whole. Honestly, I probably had more fun in the first 2 hours, before the bombs went off and trying to test the limits of the engine, than the entire rest of the game. The game is pretty great (more about the good stuff below), but there were few surprises. Much like the intro, Bethesda tried to have some real twists, but never actually let your decisions affect the game. This is no Deus Ex.
   Boston as a setting was pretty cool. Its nice that FO4 takes place near the Capital Wasteland, while being distinct and having its own history. Incredibly, there are a few returning characters and familiar rumors from FO3. I was really surprised at how detailed Diamond city and downtown Boston were. This was one of the first games I’ve played where you could walk around a city and go inside literally every damn building and feel like theres something new to find. The areas around Boston, although sparse, have a lot of variety and character. The glowing see, forests to the south, and ocean and islands to the east were enjoyable to explore. I felt like the desert wasteland was played out after FO1, FO2 and NV.
   When you talk about character interaction, that's where one of the biggest flaws starts to show. Put simply, the dialogue choice system is terrible. Always having 4 choices when talking to anyone, usually only 1 or 2 words to describe your reaction, is a frustratingly arbitrary decision. (heres a good video detailing this problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqkZXNZwZq4) Comically, the voice acting quality is top notch. So even though your character rarely says what you’d want or expect him to, his smooth sexy voice makes it all okay. Theres also a mind-blowing amount of voice acting, more than Skyrim and FO3 combined. Honestly though, in a series known for in depth dialogue choices, this is an incredible disservice to the series. The only reason it exists is because consoles have 4 main buttons, and Beth didn’t want players to have to read too much. That's a shame.
   Many other parts of the game felt same-y, with strange new changes. Why does time now move slowly in V.A.T.S.? Why are skill trees changed, and I can upgrade my SPECIAL stats every level? Why is there no level cap? Overall, these changes facilitate this as an “action game with some RPG elements” than the other way around. Also, I really felt there was too much emphasis on combat in this game. At some points, I felt like I was playing Call of Duty, and that's a fucking problem. At later levels, most enemies become bullet sponges, sometimes taking hundreds of shots to kill.
   There are a few nice new additions though. Having 4 major factions and having to choose between them was pretty cool. I choose the Brotherhood ending, because it seemed the most logical, even if they were fairly evil. I really liked how synths and the Institute were incorporated into a big conspiracy theory among the NPCs. The workbench base building system was pretty incredible. So much depth, being able to tear down ruined houses essentially piece-by-piece for materials was pretty mindblowing. But again, it never feels holistically involved with the game as a whole. It becomes a borderline “Doll house simulator”.
Overall the game was a bit underwhelming, but still enjoyable. Earlier I said it was “great”, and while I believe that, its also been bogged down by sameyness and some decisions that limited its effectiveness continuing the series I think.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:29:50 PM by KMD »
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Dessert Ranger

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 06:10:58 PM »
Well put KMD. I couldn't have said it better myself.
What did you all think about how they did Power Armor in this game?

I felt it was a good change than the "Outfit" you equipped in Fallout 3 and NV (But that was fine at the time). But I feel the Power Armor is more imposing and "tank like" in Fallout 4 in feeling (Too bad the armor is actually made of Paper mache and breaks outrageously easy)

They should have made the armor harder to obtain (Bring back Power Armor training) and make the moment you obtain it later in the game. But sticking to this game being more combat oriented, of course it would pander to those who enjoy that stuff by giving them Power Armor early.

I feel like I'm on the fence of this all. 
But it'll help