Author Topic: Nooooo! 3D Realms shuts down - No Duke Nukem Forever  (Read 7893 times)

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
Nooooo! 3D Realms shuts down - No Duke Nukem Forever
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:58:09 PM »
Well.. there goes the last hope of ever seeing a Duke Nukem Forever game.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1127

I declare May 6th an international holiday.

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
Re: Nooooo! 3D Realms shuts down - No Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:45:44 PM »
Well.. there goes the last hope of ever seeing a Duke Nukem Forever game.

As if it was ever coming.  "When it's done" Broussard was such a tool about that anyway, so I think his company got exactly what they had coming.  At any rate, they didn't possess the rights to DNF anymore.  They belong to one of the parent companies, so I imagine there's still a chance of seeing it, but no more of a chance than we had before.
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 11:54:27 PM »
I agree.. I really wonder what they've been doing for all that time..

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 04:45:54 AM »

Well, my theory is that they started out wanting to make the game the best thing out at the time, but the problem was that they were so anal retentive about making everything about it perfect that by the time they got anywhere close to release, the final product was no longer state of the art.  They could have easily released the game to much fanfare back in 2001 when they had an almost completed version and while it wouldn't have been bleeding edge, it would have been a great game and long-awaited considering that it would have been five years since the last installment.  Unfortunately, I think they pulled a Howard Hughes level of obsessive compulsive disorder and repeated that whole "rebuild it from the ground up" move a few too many times, each time running into the "What we used as the framework isn't the industry standard anymore" problem they encountered the first time around.  Couple that with the fact that they were working on other games at the time and the fact that 3d Realms is essentially 20-30 people, and therefore ill-equipped to crank out games at a Capcom or Konami-esque pace. 

I'm all for taking your time making a good product.  We've all seen what happens when you rush production of something, (SEE: XBOX 360, Ford Pinto AKA the BBQ that seats four, virtually every movie tie-in game ever), but there comes a point where you have to recognize that you will never make The Perfect Game.  How many great works of art would we not have if every artist almost completed a work, decided it wasn't perfect, and destroyed it and started over?  There will always be something you could tweak a little bit more, but eventually, you're tweaking things that only you notice.  At that point, you're probably also wearing Kleenex boxes for shoes and peeing in jars.

I'm pretty sure after about the second time they decided to start from scratch, well after any Duke fanfare had died down to a low simmer, their hearts just weren't in it anymore.  How passionate would you be about a job where your boss destroyed your work in front of you at the end of every day?  I think the only person who still thought that game would see the light of day right up to the bitter end was George Broussard, and the rest of the 3D Realms staff humored the "crazy old man" because he was a steady paycheck.

Never mind the fact that the development of this game appears to be aging backwards like Benjamin Button.

1998:  Near completed beta version of Duke Nukem: Forever debuts at E3, with a projected release date of late 1998.  This is effectively the tail end of the opportunity to cash in on the previous game's fanfare.  Nonetheless, development seems to be on track and things are looking good.

2001: Near completed rebuilt beta version of Duke Nukem: Forever debuts at E3 after extensive delays from its 1998 projected release date.

2004:  Extensive trailer of footage from rebuilt version of Duke Nukem: Forever debuts at E3 after extensive delays from its 2001 projected release date.

2007:  Teaser trailer of Duke Nukem lifting some weights and blowing cigar smoke in the face of his fans. (How Appropriate, since 3D Realms has basically done the same thing to the fans since 1996!  I suspect that the cloud of cigar smoke Duke disappears into was meant to be a subtle commentary on the fate of the game and eventually the company; up in smoke.)

2009:
  3D Realms disbands.

2015:  A man named George Broussard doodles a gun-toting, crewcut man in Wayfarers on a cocktail napkin while drowning his sorrows in some dive bar somewhere.  He decides to start his own game company, with the character he just created as the star of its flagship series.

I imagine that the only way we're ever going to play Duke Nukem: Forever is if we invent some sort of Sliders technology that will allow us to travel to a parallel dimension where we can pick it up in a two-pack with Starcraft: Ghost, Max Payne 3, or Tex Murphy 5.

Dear Fans,
F--- YOU!!!
Love,
George Broussard

Oh, well, at least there's still those third-person console-only Duke Nukem games they made a few years back.  Those are better than nothing.  Some of them are actually pretty entertaining.

EDIT:

Well, I know what Duke's been up to this whole time!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 05:27:34 AM by Loveshack »

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 06:23:26 AM »
I imagine that the only way we're ever going to play Duke Nukem: Forever is if we invent some sort of Sliders technology that will allow us to travel to a parallel dimension where we can pick it up in a two-pack with Starcraft: Ghost, Max Payne 3, or Tex Murphy 5.

Leads out of the tunnel holding my copy of Van Buren recently purchased from Babbages.

Reads the back in horror.

Runs on Amiga.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »

Leads out of the tunnel holding my copy of Van Buren recently purchased from Babbages.

Reads the back in horror.

Runs on Amiga.

You could always have gotten the Dreamcast 360 version.

Ever since President Gates was assassinated and the embargo dissolved, they've been selling like hotcakes!

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 10:28:58 AM »
Finally. >.<
Now we can bury it all and move on.
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 05:02:14 AM »
As some of you may remember, I am a huge fan of the Tex Murphy games. In a genre considered by many to be the worst in gaming, the FMV adventure genre, they are a bright point. Most people don't dare disparage FMV games as a genre without first exempting the Tex Murphy series.

That being said, making the games run on newer computers is extremely difficult, requiring extensive tweaking of the config files, after-market sound-processing software and DOSbox in some cases. However, if you're a fan, head on over to Good Old Games and you can get every game in the series for about $20. They're having a half-off special on them right now. Best of all, the games stream to your computer as a single program and are already tailored to newer machines, so no more swapping out discs over and over just to walk down the street, messing with the config files or anything like that, (though you may have to roll back your drivers depending on your graphics card). They even have the pre-FMV games, Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum if you're really old-school.

My only beef is that the version of Overseer they offer is the CD version. When Overseer first came out in 1999, it came with a CD version of the game and a DVD version (one of the first of its kind, if I remember correctly). The DVD version was convenient as the entire game fit on one DVD, eliminating the need for disc-swapping and the cut-scenes were in much higher resolution. The disc-swapping issue is irrelevant in this format, but I would have liked to have the higher-quality movies.

Now some even better news. The rights to the Tex Murphy franchise have reverted back to the original creators, Aaron Conners and Chris Jones. Conners and Jones now run a development firm called Big Fish Games. Since April of last year, they've been advertising a secret project on their homepage called "Project Fedora". Keep your fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:04:56 AM by Loveshack »

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 12:15:54 PM »
they've been advertising a secret project on their homepage called "Project Fedora". Keep your fingers crossed.

Innnnnnnteresting.

Always wanted to play those old games.  My computer didn't have enough memory to run Under a Killing Moon when it came out and by the time I had a better computer it'd faded from the shelves entirely.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 12:43:06 AM »
they've been advertising a secret project on their homepage called "Project Fedora". Keep your fingers crossed.

Innnnnnnteresting.

Always wanted to play those old games.  My computer didn't have enough memory to run Under a Killing Moon when it came out and by the time I had a better computer it'd faded from the shelves entirely.

I still have my copy of UaKM around somewhere.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Starseeker

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Unwashed Doc, Back from Alpha Centuri
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 04:43:37 PM »
Starseeker, signing off.

Life is short, Fall in Love, Maiden.

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 11:13:34 AM »
After reading the article, it sounds like my hypothesis on why they failed was pretty close to the actual circumstances. It's not that I'm incredibly perceptive; it's that the cause of their failure was just so obvious and avoidable. It would be tragic if it weren't so pathetic.

I swear, if I'd been one of the developers who put in the long haul on that game, since the beginning, hinging my entire professional career for over a decade on the outcome of this game and that jackass George Broussard had come to me, AFTER THE GAME WAS COMPLETED AND READY FOR PUBLISHING, and told me that the company was closed down and to clean out my desk, but then asked me to gather in the lobby for one last group staff picture... There's no guarantee he wouldn't have taken a dive through (and I do mean through) an office window from several floors up)

"Hey, you just sacrificed over a decade of your life and professional career and now have nothing to show for it! You might as well have been serving a prison term for all that you've accomplished! We're scrapping the completed game because of financing issues with the publisher. (I must stress that game was COMPLETED!) You're also fired, and remember that every professional credit on your resume is from over ten years ago... SAAAY CHEEEEEESE EVERYBODY!!!"

I didn't even work for 3D Realms and just reading that makes me want to beat Broussard to death, hire a team of doctors to resuscitate him and then burn him alive... and piss on the ashes.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:18:20 AM by Loveshack »

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 08:57:03 PM »
While we may never get to play Duke Nukem Forever, you can always pay 6 bucks to download Duke Nukem 3D from GOG.com and then install the HD pack to it. It bumps the graphics up to around Half-Life levels, so you can pretend that DNF came out in 1999...when it should have. In all seriousness, I think this is pretty impressive, especially for an unofficial mod; fully 3D enemies and weapons, high-def backgrounds, no "pixel-bloat", remastered sound and more.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:50:52 PM by Loveshack »

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 01:22:43 AM »
While we may never get to play Duke Nukem Forever, you can always pay 6 bucks to download Duke Nukem 3D from GOG.com and then install the HD pack to it. It bumps the graphics up to around Half-Life levels, so you can pretend that DNF came out in 1999...when it should have. In all seriousness, I think this is pretty impressive, especially for an unofficial mod; fully 3D enemies and weapons, high-def backgrounds, no "pixel-bloat", remastered sound and more.

Nice! It makes it more playable!

I'm a graphic/tech snob. The BF gets somewhat irritated that I can't play old NES games or Kings quest without sighing.

BF: "These are CLASSICS!"

Jen: "These are OLD!!!!"
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 03:56:21 AM »
Nice! It makes it more playable!

I'm a graphic/tech snob. The BF gets somewhat irritated that I can't play old NES games or Kings quest without sighing.

BF: "These are CLASSICS!"

Jen: "These are OLD!!!!"

I've noticed that if I enjoyed playing a computer game when it was new, then I will usually enjoy playing it regardless of its age. Computer games from before 1994 or so I usually don't like because that was before I started playing computer games. Wolfenstein 3D is pretty rough sit for me now because it's just not fun anymore. I like most console games regardless of their age though. I've been test-driving that HD Pack all afternoon, and it's seriously like night and day compared to the original Duke Nukem 3D. Best of all, you can still play regular Duke Nukem 3D if you get nostalgic. Some of the villains are actually a bigger threat as 3D models because they move faster and chase you farther. The main offender is Mister Gatling Lizard Man up there.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 03:58:10 AM by Loveshack »