Author Topic: Species of fish reproduces without sex  (Read 2408 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Species of fish reproduces without sex
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:38:11 PM »
http://news.scotsman.com/scitech/It-doesn39t-have-sex-and.4008899.jp

It doesn't have sex and should be extinct – so how come this fish is thriving?

Published Date: 23 April 2008
By Hilary Duncanson

A TINY fish that has survived for 70,000 years without reproducing sexually is swimming against the evolutionary tide, new research has found.
Scientists have shown that the Amazon Molly is defying some laws of evolution by avoiding extinction.

Researchers believe the fish may be employing special genetic survival "tricks", and they are now trying to understand more about how the species has managed to stay alive.

Amazon Molly fish, all of which are female, interact sexually with males of other species to trigger their reproduction process.

More at linky

The first thing I thought of when I saw this was that old quote from the movie Wargames

Mr. Liggett: "All right, Lightman. Maybe you can tell us who first suggested the idea of reproduction without sex."
David Lightman: "Um, your wife?"
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
Re: Species of fish reproduces without sex
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 12:43:49 AM »
The little fishy whores!
:P
I wonder how many get eaten because they flirted with the wrong fish.
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
Re: Species of fish reproduces without sex
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 04:34:03 PM »

Amazon Molly fish, all of which are female, interact sexually with males of other species to trigger their reproduction process.[/i]

Asari fish!