Author Topic: I'm Ok. San Diego's on Fire  (Read 10774 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
I'm Ok. San Diego's on Fire
« on: October 22, 2007, 06:08:43 PM »
Just in case since I'll be gone for a bit. We're moving all of our stuff (that's valuable) and getting it out of San Diego. It's bad over here. Some of my friend's parents and loved ones are trapped.

I'll be gone for two days. Don't take it as because of the fire.

Hugs!

Byeeee
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
Re: I'm Ok. San Diego's on Fire
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 06:24:45 PM »
Have fun, Dooms :S

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 08:20:14 PM »
Thanks for checking in to let us know.  Sorry to hear about your friends being affected.  :(
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 10:56:24 PM »
Did you happen to hear a celestial trumpet sound? No?
Okay, we good then :)

Hope to hear from you soon!
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:59:44 PM »
Found a google map of the fire

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&om=1&msa=0&msid=110843972437490243128.00043d17033ebc98b0e83&ll=33.231796,-116.740723&spn=1.633403,1.829224&z=9

I'm hearing that something like 300k people have been evacuated so far. Many have gone to the football stadium in town but thankfully it's much more organized than what we saw with Katrina. Food and supplies were waiting on those that fled there. It's still a very sad situation though.

:(
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 06:40:35 AM »
Ok. We’re back. Here's my story.

First, We're very lucky. The fires are still burning and they are surrounding us in a sort of backward 'C' pattern. The open part of the ‘C’ is the ocean. San Diego is surrounded by wooded and rural areas. Kinda like a modern city that tapers out into the woods. However instead of a city with less and less woods, foliage we have it thought the city. To the south we have Mexico. Mexico is a tinderbox. If it’s burning down there all those little shacks are going to spread fast.

At this point 500,000 people have been evacuated. (I just heard one million people) I still cannot get a hold of my parents living in Mexico where I think there's a fire. I just got in a short while ago and I'll looking though the Google Fire Mash ups. I missed most of events since I was to start my vacation. I don't 'care' about our ruined vacation but I'll give a run down anyway.

We rented a truck to take some of our possessions to Vegas and we were going to see Spam-A-Lot and check out some houses. It took us about 10 hours to get to Vegas when it normally just takes 5. So we we unable to do our plan. The sky was thick with smoke. It looked like something out of Fallout. The whole experience screamed: “After The Bomb”. That was on Saturday. During the fires we had hurricane force winds (according to the news) and several...SEVERAL semi trucks were over turned on their side. I was driving a giant SUV truck and it was difficult to keep under control. The wind would gust and blow the truck a few inches to the side. We got to Vegas and moved the check in time for the hotel. This meant we had to take everything inside since it would be foolish to leave things outside. Do we took a truck full of items inside and had to leave the Tron machine out. Fortunately nobody did anything to it. Also the properties we were going to look at were rented out.

SO the next day we took everything out of the hotel room and packed it into the truck. We drove to the unit and drove back.

So if anyone wants to know about my vacation… there you have it. It was pretty much a bust but we don’t have a smoldering pile of ashes to come back to so we’re fortunate. If my parents are alive then I’m really fortunate. I just feel sorry for all those people at the stadium right now.

Here's what parts of the trip looked like. You know the scene from Lord of The Rings (or Return of the king) where they see the clouds around Mordor? That's what it looked like. Dark, Grey and hints of red coming out. It looked like something from The Day After or some sort of war zone. We had to wear bandanas getting back. In fact… it felt like I was driving into Death. If Death had a geographic location then it felt like we were driving intot it. Smoldering hillsides, flames on the side, thick air and a glow in the distance to suggest something worse with the weird light just gave it a unnatural feeling.

We weren't sure if we were being smart or foolish coming back. Smart if we come back and rescue the car and other essentials. Foolish if we get trapped. Foolish if we wait and COULD have saved the car and valuables. Smart if the area burns and we save things. Our lives are important but if we can save a automobile with a small degree of risk then it’s a logical chance. (Without a car it would be hard to work) Fortunately everything is ok here. I live in Old Town San Diego which is the birthplace of California. I'm within walking distance of the original buildings so it's pretty certain they're going to try to protect that... at least more so. My reasoning is: Old Town is a money maker for San Diego in addition to being a historical site. I’m sure they’ll try to save a housing area but given the choice between a few houses and Adobe buildings from 1820, they’ll save the buildings even if they won’t admit it.

Well… I’m tired and my words are a bit jumbled but I thought I should post something. We're going to pack some items just incase there's a evacuation call.

Going to bed. Hugs everyone.

Edit: To the idiot smokers out there. You would THINK… if there’s a brush fire out there… you wouldn’t throw your lit cigarette out the window as you’re passing though dry country. I saw three people do that on the way to Vegas. Amazing.

pss. Here's some photos. I didn't take them.

Flickr: The San Diego Wildfires October 2007 Pool

ps. This is what the lighting looked like.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/1712936169_658e8989f1.jpg

Here's a few more, I thought were interesting.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 06:55:09 AM by Doombot »
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 01:24:55 PM »
*hugs*

Glad to hear you're ok. I wish I could make some kind of robot that could put out the fire for you, but seeing as "someone" put a lot of stuff on my todo list, I just don't have the time. (That and its kinda hard to make fire extinguishing robots out of only software)

Please keep us updated on the fire if you get the chance. Seems silly saying so, but I really don't hope your house burns down *nods*

Sweetpea

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 02:35:05 PM »
I second that, let us know you're safe when you can and I hope your parents are ok too.

those photos are kinda frightening, i thought 'mad max' when i saw them.

*hugs doomsie, doomsie's beau and puppy

stay safe
Thomas Jefferson: Question with boldness even the existance of a god; because if there be one,  he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.

Na_Day

• Desert Nomad
  • Time has not treated me well
    • View Profile
    • Come See Spriggs: The Machinima
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 04:17:52 PM »
Good to hear your all right Doom, and hopefully your parents come through okay.

*hugs*
The artist formerly known as TSSR, Sheriff

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 07:51:22 PM »
I'm glad you escaped the "blast radius" there.

My family lives all over California so we've been getting calls on and off, but fortunately most of them moved far north a few years ago.
In any case, they're still getting effects of the fire all over the place, and they weren't directly in it.

Good to hear you're safe. : )
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 10:21:10 PM »
Okay, I know the fires caused devastation and plenty of injury, but that lighting looks awesome XD

Also: Smokers are evil >.> I hear they burn kittens
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Wraith

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 10:32:11 PM »
Also: Smokers are evil >.> I hear they burn kittens
You heard wrong, though I *am* evil, I would never burn a kitten.

Smokers, like most demographics of people come in all flavors.  You've got the incredibly stupid, the highly intelligent, and virtually everything in between.

Anyway, glad to hear you're ok, Doomsie.  I'll be hoping the best for your folks and friends, along with the general hoping that the damn winds die down so those poor beleaguered firefighters can start kicking those fires in the tail.

This past summer, a friend of mine and I were on our motorcycles across large areas of the north-western US, and we almost got caught by some fires in and near Montana.  Nothing quite as bad as these, but we were driving with cloth on our faces, dealing with the burning eyes from tons of smoke, and watching the night sky glow orange as we tried to find routes that hadn't been completely sealed off.  It was just a small taste of what the people affected by these fires are going through, but even that much was plenty that I know I don't want to be there and I really hope they get things under control soon.

-Wraith

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 12:13:44 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Here's a picture that shows the fires. I don't know how 'long' of a stretch that is. I'd estimate about 250 miles from Malibu to Ensenda.

The smoke seems to be dying down in Old Town. There's a weird orange/yellow glow outside.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o27/Arisingpro/california-wildfires-from-space-2cv.jpg

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 12:33:53 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-arson25oct25,0,1196901.story?coll=la-home-center

2 arson suspects found. One arrested and the other shot and killed thus saving us the trouble and cost of a trial. Of course authorities have no idea if these two started the original fires or were just helping things along.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 03:15:49 AM »
My parents are safe! =)