Author Topic: Getting The Gang Back Together For 76?  (Read 21279 times)

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
Re: Getting The Gang Back Together For 76?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 01:37:13 AM »
I've played the Beta over the weekend, on your own it's kinda boring and I struggled to find a point in what I was doing. There's no NPCs to interact with or story to follow, the closest thing to the latter is finding a bunch of audio casset tapes that describe the backstory of an old lady you've never met and it's not particularly interesting.

I played it with my girlfriend and we had a bit more fun, we decided to build a house together, which made us want to gather resources and the like and exploring some of the world with your friends is kinda fun as the world is really well made. If anything the map is the best thing about it but it feels so empty and barren, that it feels like they made the map and called it a day. Well, the map and the new enemies, which are kind of interesting.

It feels more like a multiplayer mod foor Fallout 4 than a new game, it feels oddly lonely and lacking in any depth or motivation.

I played with my girlfriend for three or so hours on friday, played for an hour and twenty five minutes last night and didn't even feel like playing tonight. It's not terrible, per say but very very average.
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 11:41:22 PM »
Soo. Having read a few reviews and judging by the mob's reaction on reddit, I guess I'll give this one a pass. Also, I have zero time to actually play any games at the moment.

Any opposition, or is there something salvageble about this game?

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 04:43:57 AM »
Soo. Having read a few reviews and judging by the mob's reaction on reddit, I guess I'll give this one a pass. Also, I have zero time to actually play any games at the moment.

Any opposition, or is there something salvageble about this game?

I haven't heard very good things about it either.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 10:58:30 PM »
I've heard a few friends that like it but they definitely don't hesitate to point out many many glaring flaws.

It might eventually become a much better game but I'm passing on it for now, will see where it's at in a year and decide.

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2018, 12:56:28 PM »
I guess I'm the only one who has played it. :D

It's so good, that I've spent the last three weeks, writing out a review for it as I find new flaws every day. The additions to the lore are insultingly stupid (the original super mutants are the result of an environmental catastrophe, created by a captain planet villain! Suck on that kids!) and the game is completey lacking in stability. You will encounter several glitches per play session, guarrenteed.

Then there are the long term issues, like how some part of the map can have you encounter 3 giant bat creatures, who are essentially dragons from Skyrim. Yes, you have to fight THREE dragons at once and sometimes this can happen, the second you spawn into the map. Like Bethesda are saying 'thanks for playing! Go fuck yourself! :D'

The weight is awful as well. With no companions or home base to dump your loot on (you have a camp loot but it has a max wg of 400, which is nowhere near enough), you will find yourself walking through most of the wasteland's perils, including the afformentioned 3 dragons attacking you at once fiasco.

The story is virtually none existent, it lacks anything interesting as most of the people involved are long since dead. It feels more like an online version of 'Everybody's Gone to the Rapture' than online Fallout. FOnline could have NPCs, so I don't know why this can't...

You'll rarely meet other players and when you do, they won't impact you positively or negatively. It's the pollar opposite problem of games like GTA Online, where everyone kills you on sight. Player interractions are somewhat meaningless, due to them not being able to hurt you, without your permission and you don't really need another person to complete a quest.

I've been playing it since the beta, almost every day and in spite of all of its flaws, I'd still say it's really average as an experience overall. There's fun to be had, I guess and I really like the new creature and weapon designs. Even the little things, like the guitar sword and Fallout-ized squirrels add a lot to the game and the factions are pretty decent on a concept level, along with some of the enemies like the Mole Miners and the Urban Legends like the Mothman.

However, the fact that they're in Fallout 76 is even more insulting.

I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone, especially not at full price. Maybe if Bethesda fix it up a bit, it would be tollerable but even then, it won't ever be good. It's too... nothing to ever be something.

I'll post my review, when I finish it. I'm still scripting the bastard and I'm still writing the stuff I hate about the lore/story and main quest, so... it'll probably take a while. :>

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch

Dessert Ranger

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 01:29:11 AM »
I wanted to throw in my ten cents about something that I liked most about Fallout and those are the unique and interesting Factions, some of which are nice and original in 76, but they aren't really factions if you think about it, since you can join them all with no restrictions or consequences. Since there are no NPCs, these aren't really factions but just remnants, which is boring af.

So you got some original factions made for the game:
The Responders - Makes sense for Public Service careers, such as Police and Firefighters, banding together to protect people or ensure that the world doesn't suck too much. Think of Minutemen from FO4 but not a silly twist of a real life organization that doesn't really have much connection to its real life counterpart. But, of course, they don't exist really in game, so there's that.

The Free States - Interesting way to answer what the doomsday preppers were doing in the Fallout Universe, but their early story of being a separatist organization for West Virginia is interesting too. That's pretty much it, they started a home base at Harper's Ferry then all died. Great.

Then old factions that somehow find their way into the game:

Enclave - I think the Enclave's existence in the game is the most understandable. The re-writing of their origins as a Cabal that controlled the Pre-War US is a (in my mind) cool change, since it kind of makes sense. But I think if we remember, the only reason they are called the Enclave is some communication error when the game devs switched to Bethesda. But, of course, it's gotta be like Fallout 3, so you got an AI controlling the faction again.

Brotherhood of Steel - This faction had a lot of flak with its presence in 76, and I still think the existence is a little cheesy. First of all, they seem to have outfits from Fallout 4 which I feel is a little wacky imo. Now the story is that Roger Maxson founded the Brotherhood, then some how got into radio contact with an army unit that his friend was in command of (Kind of curious as to why the Enclave wouldn't do this, but whatever) and then they became a weird detachment of the Brotherhood existing in WV. Then they all died, and no one talked about them anymore, very cool.

Anyway, sorry for spoilers, but I figured that the spoilers won't really hurt anyone's experience
But it'll help

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2019, 12:33:20 AM »
I made an hour long video about Fallout 76, I think it's the longest I've ever done.

Dessert Ranger

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 11:05:17 PM »
I made an hour long video about Fallout 76, I think it's the longest I've ever done.
Link? :O
But it'll help

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 12:57:38 PM »

About how bad it is, right?
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 04:47:05 AM »
Fallout 76:  The suck that keeps on sucking.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2019, 02:12:56 PM »
Fallout 76:  The suck that keeps on sucking.

Such a shame. I still haven't played it, really seemed like a half-baked idea from the start.

Heres an entertaining video about the failure of FO76. Its 28 mins long, but totally worth watching through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjyeCdd-dl8
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Dessert Ranger

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 02:54:57 AM »
They're adding a Battle Royale to 76
But it'll help

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2019, 10:40:53 PM »
Apparently Fallout 76 is now free to play through June 17.

That announcement prompted someone at the Straight Dope message boards to quip:

"Have they patched it to the point that it's worth playing at that price?"

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2019, 04:40:04 PM »
I was not able to try the B.E.T.A. and am just now trying it during the free trial. So far I've made it to lv 11 or 12 but I'm enjoying my trek through West Virginia! People tend to be incredibly friendly but I acknowledge there's still some design problems to iron out. While I don't personally mind the hunger and thirst function, it feels...kinda pointless being that death isn't permanent and you're in a multiplayer scenario. As for the lack of NPCs, you don't seem to notice immediately- or at least I didn't as I was taking in the sights- but it becomes pretty clear shortly after you leave the early areas.

I know they're adding NPCs with the Wastelanders update and making it lore friendly but I think it shows that Fallout 76 should have probably launched that way. Not going to knock them for trying it though I think the 24 player map limitation was a little low and they probably should have made the player driven vendors/etc a launch feature or be able to "buy" and clear out locations for settlements or something. Still a number of bugs but these things don't tend to bother me as much as I've not run into anything that causes a loss/lack of progression or something game ending. I'm hoping the Wastelanders update really injects that oomph it needs for longevity and that they keep taking feedback like they have been even among the SCORCHing criticism. I can see myself wandering the wasteland and rooting out all the holo-tapes, notes, and just generally exploring but I don't think it'd hold me for too long without an update like that or something similar, so I'm hinging my long term investment and possible purchase on that.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 04:45:34 PM by Sandru »

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2019, 01:32:36 PM »
While I have some interest in the game, I don't want to support a company who thinks they can half-ass a multiplayer game, charge early adopters full price, release it as a broken mess, and be unclear about how refunds work. Then attempt patch it to a functional state, and give it away a year later to increase player count. This was the biggest fumble of the past year.

Also the "SPECIAL edition buyers get a canvasbag, oh wait you don't we lied haha our bad! blame the marketing team" made me pretty upset.

Killmod/Jesse