Author Topic: Why do we work?  (Read 3131 times)

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Why do we work?
« on: August 12, 2015, 07:37:30 PM »
Kind of in relation to "The real question", I have been thinking about why we work and struggling to see where work fits in modern society.
I see it as giving up some of your freedom for currency, so you can live. But it should be about passion, and sometimes people cheat in work so they don't have to give up so much of their lives. Others use work as an escape, joyfull to find some life purpose in making other people rich.

What role does work serve in human existence? why do we work?
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Why do we work?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 03:24:42 AM »
I think in part it goes back to the barter system. "I have x-skill/strength/time and will do y in exchange for your skill/strength/time." If you look at the history of currency it started as a representation of "x-cows for y-sheep" or whatever the agreement was. Eventually that became "valuable metal for x-cows" and then a regulated amount of valuable metal became coins. Now you can argue that the cows turned into a skill and then into a time alotment.

Translating that into work analagies, look at the basics of survival food+shelter. How would you get your food and ensure your shelter? Maybe you're a super hunter but I claimed prime cave realestate. For x amout of meat I might agree to share my cave and you are able to survive another winter.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 09:44:14 AM »
Yeah, you're basically being paid for your time, when it comes down to it.
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 01:10:15 PM »
I see what you're saying Acd, but I think your post has more to do with the role of currency in trading goods (which is a whole other argument). What i'm getting at is more the role is work itself from a society standpoint.  Currency is abstract and relative; that is, doing the same job pays differently depending on where you live, your experience, your gender, and other factors. Payment for services or goods is often negotiable. What isn't negotiable is the need for the work to be done.

To give you an idea of what I mean, consider the rise of machines replacing human labourers in production. When it is cheaper for a business to build and automate machines than pay labor wages, the "jobs" become obsolete because there is no demand for skilled workers. We see this all the time. Eventually, the high paying jobs will be narrowed down into exclusively fields that operate the machines (which is happening now ie; Healthcare and Technology) Kind of the opposite of what happened during the industrial revolution. What will happen when machines are so advanced, they can replace every menial job in existence?

But this isn't about machines replacing workers. I think that work fullfills a "purpose" more than anything else. Find a skill that keeps the money flowing or benefits a company, and earn a personal reward. Ideally, I think that societies should be working long-term toward eliminating work as a requirement to live, that one day most jobs will be automatically run, and everyone will receive a stipend to live on.  Unfortunately, this conflicts with most positions of power, which rely on exploitation of lower paid workers. Essentially, its still a jungle out there, but the predators are wearing suits
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse