Author Topic: Life!  (Read 3656 times)

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
Life!
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:10:36 AM »
So, life.

I'm super sad that because Robert Jordan died, we will never get the follow up series about Mat kicking ass in Seanchan.

I've been super pumped about a lot of video games lately, but none of them have really been slayers.

I'm sad about my handle, because as an adult, I can see that Pierce Anthony is kind of a weird misogynist.  I didn't realize that shit when I was like 13, yo. 

I like Java more than C++, but they're both fun.

I continue to struggle with my alcoholism.  I've been doing a lot better lately, but shit yo, it can be tough.

Uhm, what else.  My older sister just had her first kid and I'm the godfather, that's kinda fun;  I've come to the conclusion that the only reason I like one of the major US political parties more than the other is because I am of the opinion that one happens to be more hypocritical;  I think my gums are receding because I abuse my vaporizer so much.

So how is life treating you cats?
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Life!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »
Congrats on the godfathering! I imaging thats going to be a fun ride.

On my end of things,

We recently bought a house (middle of August) and things are adding up in unexpected ways. We have alot of work to do, they were in the middle of turning a duplex into a single family. The major consteuction is done and I'm learning how expensive my tastes actually are.

I got a new job. It's a transfer to a new group home within the same company (I work on adult foster care). I'll finally have coworkers on shift with me and the added perk of included meals.

In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 05:05:59 AM »
Liz's law business is still surviving, if not exactly successful yet.

I'm still enjoying the job I've had for the last 2.5 years or so, and I make enough to support the two of us until she can get some of her contingency cases come through, at which point she might be able to pay off the $215,000 or so she owes in loans and we can actually look into getting married.

On the negative front, my father is likely going to die of cancer in the next year. He developed colon cancer at some point, likely not too long after he lost his 12-year-old grandson (my nephew) to a sudden brain tumor last December. He ignored the problem--as his stubborn ass is wont to do--until my younger sister (mother of the nephew) said he looked like he was pregnant and pretty much dragged him to get it looked at. They drained 2 liters of fluid out of his abdomen. Turns out he has a secondary tumor in his liver. The odds of surviving a secondary liver tumor are pretty much 0% because at that point the entire liver is cancerous. The odd thing is that primary tumors in the liver have one of the highest survival rates since they can typically lop off the bad part of the liver and it'll grow back.

So that whole thing sucks. Fuck cancer! Fuck it in the ear!
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 05:18:39 AM »
That's rough news about your father Hoop.  My condolences. 

As to the whole "gotta pay off 215000 bucks before we can get married" thing, uhm, that's a huge amount of money.  I'd just get married.  Listen to your signature!

AcdQueen, yeah, I look forward to being the disreputable uncle.  It should be fun as hell.  I worked at an assisted living facility for a number of years; it can be weird (and super gross) but it was always very rewarding.  Grats on the new job!
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »
Lifes alright. I'm back in school, and while i'm doing well, I don't particularly like the school. Most of the students commute, there isn't a big sense of pride. It feels like high school all over again. 2 more years seems like a huge chunk of my 20s.

Good luck with the alcoholism, Than. I think  all you need is serious self discipline. My advice; Find a hobby, something physical, to do instead of drinking.

Sorry to hear about your Father Hoopy. Cancer is such a mysterious, deadly, and unforgiving thing.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:50:49 AM by KMD »
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 03:16:24 AM »
As to the whole "gotta pay off 215000 bucks before we can get married" thing, uhm, that's a huge amount of money.  I'd just get married.  Listen to your signature!

The problem is, we get married and the Feds come after me for $2800 a month or so. While I make a comfortable living and can easily support the two of us, things take a dramatically different turn when I have to come up with that much out of my take home pay.

There's always the married filing separately option, but that carries its own hassles.

And thanks for the condolences on my father, guys.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!