Author Topic: Apparently Fallout 4 is real after all.  (Read 3344 times)

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
Apparently Fallout 4 is real after all.
« on: December 13, 2013, 06:41:21 AM »
http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reveal-that-fallout-4-is-real-set-in-1481322956

To quote Liz:  "Boston? Isn't that already post-apocalyptic?"
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
Re: Apparently Fallout 4 is real after all.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »
http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reveal-that-fallout-4-is-real-set-in-1481322956

To quote Liz:  "Boston? Isn't that already post-apocalyptic?"

Clearly she's never been to Stoke on Trent...

But, yeah it was shared on that vaultofthefuture site.

In related news: Did anyone notice how much dialogue there was, for the player character?
I hope they aren't planning on making it like a Bioware game. Don't get me wrong, I love Bioware/Tell tale's story focused games, they're very well written and often moving but I don't think that Bethesda could cut that...

Besides, Fallout was always a game in which the player chose their level of immersion, that's what is good about about it. Like Half Life you can be as involved or as removed as possible and still have fun. Having a very story focused game with a default/generic protagonist will not only detract from that but it'll also kill the series.
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:05:46 PM »
Boston sounds like a great location. I'm glad its apparently taking place on the East coast again, and not the West. More historical context to explore. Apparently they even scoped out M.I.T.

On a fun side note, I went to Boston once. But it mostly consisted of me literally sprinting across the city in 20 minutes in time to see Paul McCartney perform in Fenway Park. To this day, im still not sure why I didn't take a cab.

I hope they aren't planning on making it like a Bioware game.

Besides, Fallout was always a game in which the player chose their level of immersion, that's what is good about about it. Like Half Life you can be as involved or as removed as possible and still have fun. Having a very story focused game with a default/generic protagonist will not only detract from that but it'll also kill the series.

Except in Half-Life, the player didn't have any dialogue. Interaction was basically limited to just deciding whether or not to listen to the characters. I've never played a Bioware game, but one thing I hope they do is to give the character a greater motive. Even if its just vengeance. A clear antagonist or group would be nice too. Mr. House was a good antagonist IMO, and confronting him at the end was very satisfying.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:28:17 PM by KMD »
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

MrWeasel

• Wasteland Denizen
  • God of nekid volleyball and serving wenches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:17:08 PM »
SWEETNESS!!!
You May Soar with the eagles but Weasels do not get sucked into ramjets! Gotta watch out for the hovercrafts though...

Silver Dragon

• Desert Nomad
  • Go rub two monkeys together and see what happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 02:06:16 AM »
LISTER: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.  In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. NO TOAST.
TOASTER: How 'bout a muffin?
LISTER: OR muffins!  OR muffins!  We don't LIKE muffins 'round here!  We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and DEFINITELY no smegging flapjacks!
TOASTER: Aah, so you're a waffle man!