Author Topic: How do I make Autoplay quit popping up for my two USB Hard Drives?  (Read 4193 times)

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
Hey guys,
I have 1TB and 3TB My Book Essential USB External Hard Drives connected to my computer.  I am running 64-bit Windows 7.  I recently unplugged both of these drives to transfer data to another computer and have since returned them to my computer, however I MAY have plugged each one into a different USB port than the one they were originally plugged into, if that makes a difference.  Now, whenever I start up Windows, an Autoplay window opens up for each of these drives which didn't happen before and it's really annoying.  I've looked around online and it looks like this is a pretty common issue but nobody recommends anything useful beyond shutting off autoplay all together or somewhat sketchy tweaks to the registry which I don't like doing if I can avoid it.  Does anyone know how I can shut off autoplay for just these two devices?  Is it something that it will eventually "learn" to stop doing if I keep closing those autoplay windows without selecting an action?
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make Autoplay quit popping up for my two USB Hard Drives?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 10:05:08 PM »
i hook all my externals like that to a usb hub and attach that when i want to use my externals.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:49:17 AM »
Well, I'd like to keep them hooked up all the time if I could.  I had them set up this way before and all I did was plug them in, so this is a new development.

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:42:11 AM »
When the autoplay comes up there should be a checkbox for "always choose this option when I plug this device in"
If you choose "do nothing" and check the "always" box that should fix the problem, I think.  Unless it's seeing it as a different device every time.

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 02:50:06 AM »
There's no "Do Nothing" option unfortunately.

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 06:28:14 AM »
When you say it's an autoplay thing, do you mean the driver installation thing or the "what do you want to do with this drive" thing?

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 08:06:43 AM »
A "What do you want to do with this drive?" thing.

Silver Dragon

• Desert Nomad
  • Go rub two monkeys together and see what happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »
When the autoplay comes up there should be a checkbox for "always choose this option when I plug this device in"
If you choose "do nothing" and check the "always" box that should fix the problem, I think.  Unless it's seeing it as a different device every time.
Windows 7 doesn't seem to have that option like Windows XP does.  I just poked around for a few minutes before going to work, but it seems that Windows 7 only has an overall ON/OFF switch for AutoRun/AutoPlay, or On/Off for different file types, but I couldn't find anywhere that one could adjust AutoRun/AutoPlay settings for individual USB devices.... Odd, that.

Loveshack, you could try going to Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/AutoPlay and changing settings (like setting Mixed Content = Do Nothing) there, but that probably will also affect any other USB device you happen to plug in.

I wouldn't think plugging them into different ports would matter, but if you had any software installed with the devices, maybe reinstall the software might help..?

Oh, there is a listing for Devices (toward the bottom of the page) under Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/AutoPlay, but nothing shows up in that list for me, even when I have my little 2GB Kingston or my external HD plugged in; you might try looking in that list and seeing if your external drives show up there, you may be able to change individual device settings if they do.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:33:00 PM by Silver Dragon »
LISTER: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.  In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. NO TOAST.
TOASTER: How 'bout a muffin?
LISTER: OR muffins!  OR muffins!  We don't LIKE muffins 'round here!  We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and DEFINITELY no smegging flapjacks!
TOASTER: Aah, so you're a waffle man!