Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 2969 times)

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Wii U
« on: June 08, 2011, 04:26:55 AM »
http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/750-nintendo-debuts-wii-u

just debuted, any preliminary thoughts on it? to me it looks like a ds turned tablet that works with the tv
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:02:47 PM »
I think potential is the best word I can use for this.
The wiimote had some potential that was incredible. For example, in one game (was it Red Steel?) there was an "assassination mode" where you only get points for targeting a certain player. But if that player could see your screen, they'd know to hide from you. So what would happen is your wii-mote would make a sound like a phone ringing, and you'd raise it to your ear and it would whisper to you which player to take out. When I learned this, I geeked all over the place. It was messy.

But, a series of games later, I realized they'd kinda hit the limits of the sensitivity of the accelerometers in the devices, because they rushed to market with the solution they had at the moment. Sure, the wii motion plus later added a lot of sensitivity and made the system more useful for the features they originally touted, but it still suffered from other problems, like tricky line of sight to the infra-red bar, and an abnormally low radius for bluetooth signal (not to mention the insane power consumption on the devices).

I'm cautiously optimistic about this new concept, and I say that because my caution has increased since the last gimmick they tried.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 11:43:21 PM »
Well, they did right by upping the power on the thing. I play Wii games better on my PC than on my Wii.

I'm not sure what to think about the controller.. I don't really see the point of having two screens as you can only look at one at a time. I fear that it is really only a novelty effect you get out of it.

But at least they seem to be catering to a more "hardcore" crowd this time. I RARELY use my Wii anymore as there simply aren't any games that appeal to me.

Personally, I think MS is on to something with Kinect, but unfortunately, it suffers from the same problems: no one makes any games for the kinect other than casual games.

The E3 lineup had some titles featuring Kinect, but that really seem like a feature added only to get the "Kinect" sticker on the box.

As for the PS Move.. Well let's just say that my second move controller I got for my birthday is still in the box.

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 12:30:19 AM »
My main concern with the thing is that the battery life of the controllers will be rather significantly reduced by the backlit screen.

I wonder if they'll add compatibility for DS games on it.

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:40:02 PM »
How much more will this thing cost gah
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse