Author Topic: 100 players you love to hate  (Read 3328 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
100 players you love to hate
« on: September 18, 2007, 06:36:15 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keri/070917&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Although hate is too strong a word for my taste, some of these are pretty funny.

13. Vinny Testaverde, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: An interception machine with the Bucs, he was constantly heckled for his color blindness. A Tampa radio station once rented a billboard after a loss to the Giants, with Testaverde standing in front of a blue background. The billboard read: "Vinny thinks this is orange!"

86. Rasheed Wallace, Portland Trail Blazers: Broke the NBA record for technical fouls in a season, then broke his own record a year later. He also earned a seven-game suspension for threatening referee Tim Donaghy after a 2003 home game. Hmmm ...

For those that don't follow sports much, Tim Donaghy is the ref that has been arrested for fixing games.  ;)

87. Randy Moss, Minnesota Vikings and Oakland Raiders: When he tries, he's one of the all-time greats. When he doesn't, he's Todd Pinkston with a higher salary.

88. Todd Pinkston, Philadelphia Eagles: He's always Todd Pinkston.

:laugh:

Pretty good list but how is someone like Lawrence Phillips left off of it? That dude was a complete train wreck even in college where he was arrested for dragging some girl down a stairway by her hair.

"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

JC

• Wasteland Denizen
  • My Being is Zorg!
    • View Profile
Re: 100 players you love to hate
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 06:51:29 AM »
Ooooooh, a bevy of wonderful sports quotes.

One day, perhaps I will understand their hidden meaning.

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 07:15:08 AM »
"23. Hideki Irabu, New York Yankees: When your team's owner calls you a fat toad in the media, things probably aren't going so well."

OMG is that funny.

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 04:33:31 PM »
No Patrick Ewing?

My friends used to have a group called Team Patrick Ewing. They'd use it when they went bowling or played video games, and the rule was you had to put TPE and then a group or person who was doing really well and then threw it all away in the clutch.

One of them, for example, was TPE OJ.

Mine was TPE Austria-Hungary.

"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 09:02:29 PM »
No Patrick Ewing?

As a pretty big Knick fan, I'm frustrated that Ewing couldn't deliver the championship, but I don't know if I'd label him as someone who couldn't do it in the clutch. He had the unfortunate circumstance of running into two players / teams who were simply an eyelash better (Hakeem's Rockets, and Jordan's Bulls.) But at least he made it to the big stage (and had some decent games there.) And he did win an NCAA championship, too.   

Those mid 90's Knick teams were fun to watch (if you like brutal basketball.) Would have loved to have seen them play the bad boy pistons in their heyday. I suspect the games would have ended up something like 35-34. 

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 11:31:52 PM »

Those mid 90's Knick teams were fun to watch (if you like brutal basketball.) Would have loved to have seen them play the bad boy pistons in their heyday. I suspect the games would have ended up something like 35-34. 

The Pistons were my team back when I was really into basketball.  I haven't followed it much since all the big stars (Magic, Bird, Jordan, etc) left.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 04:55:13 PM »
Yeah I could see that. I think the main reason my friend felt that way is because he was such a huge fan of the knicks.

To be honest I've never really followed basketball, I lived in DFW before the Mavericks won any games, so it was hard to get into it back then.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."