Author Topic: So, Has anyone tried Kinect?  (Read 2423 times)

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
So, Has anyone tried Kinect?
« on: February 25, 2011, 06:20:49 PM »
Who's tried Xbox Kinect? Its been out for a few months now. I don't own one myself, but have played a few hours of Kinect sports. I was really impressed! The motion sensing technology isn't perfect of course, but it's damn good. I mean, it can tell when you blink!

I think the technology has a lot of potential. Much more impressive than the Wii. The thing really makes you use your full body, often making you break out in a sweat. Also, me being 6' (2m) tall, I hit the low hanging ceiling fan a couple of times when throwing the Javelin. Could create totally new games types. Too bad it had to come out as expensive equipment late in the Xbox life. If it had been a part of the system from the start, with full body motion sensing from the start, things would be a lot different.

I predict it will go the way of the Wii. For about 2 years games will come out, mostly party and mini-games, nothing too deep. And when the new Xbox is announced or comes out, be a lot of garbage while big developers move on to the new system.

I think it's still awesome as hell though. And I imgaine that the Playstation 3 Move may have been a bit of a failure, since I havent heard anyone talk about it.

So what are your thoughts Village?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:23:03 PM by KMD »
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: So, Has anyone tried Kinect?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »
I am planning on buying a new Xbox once we're done renovating our home - one with Kinect. I think the technology is fantastic, but judging from the games that have been released so far, I'm afraid that its looking more and more like a Wii with better graphcis every day. Which sucks, as my Wii is the least used of my electronical devices, just after my Automated Dodo Feeder 2000 TM

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 03:05:52 AM »
I actually worked for xbox for a little while, and the Kinect is pretty damn awesome tech wise, compared to the competitors.

The Wii isn't bad, but the Kinect sensor is pretty BA, just have to make sure you're aware of it's limitations with play space/lighting. Got a lot of calls bitching with people unable to make it work cause they either A) broke the servo motors that move it, trying to force it (bad idea...don't touch it or make the camera move by hand,) B) played in dim light, got calls from african americans and the like calling it racist, when you need really good light to play with it, it's a good sensor but it's still just tech.

I'm not sure I'd buy one personally since I don't really console game anymore, and am usually out of my house more often then I'm in it, but it's definitely fun to use. I'm sure in the next iteration of the xbox it'll be standard, as it's really something gaming consoles should have now. Wii had a good idea, but Microsoft built better tech around it.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 07:36:13 AM »
We got one. It works very well considering we don't have ideal conditions.

Semi-dim light and non ideal placement. eg. Can't place it on the TV as that's too close. Can't put it on the wall where we want since we have a painting there. So it's above the painting and looking down at a angle. Still it works fine.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!