Author Topic: PLEASE READ: Welcome to the new forum  (Read 9746 times)

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
PLEASE READ: Welcome to the new forum
« on: August 06, 2007, 11:34:42 PM »
Welcome to Simple Machines Forum.

Seeing as it was somewhat cumbersome to move the old posts here, we have started from scratch. You will need to reregister in order to use the board. Hope I won't scare anyone away - at least not beyond the reach of the bungee.

Things will change a lot over the next few weeks: We will look at new skins, smileys etc. To gain influence, please visit the Construction Site forum here
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 09:44:50 PM by Chucara »

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Re: PLEASE READ: Welcome to the new forum
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 11:43:49 PM »
The link is broken. I think you meant this one?

Unwashed Construction Site
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 05:07:47 AM »
Maybe I'm not net savvy, but this is getting a little old.  Why do we keep having to lose the archives and start from scratch every couple of years?  We lose a lot of good and memorable posts every single time and it sucks.

Edit:  Okay, found the links to the old forums, so I partially withdraw my criticism, but the oldest forum doesn't work, every link just takes me to the UV main page.

Edit:  And where can I find the really old posts, from like 2000 or so.  Where but in my heart of hearts do those storied correspondences lie?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 05:11:42 AM by Loveshack »
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 09:03:18 AM »
I can't seem to reply to your thread on the Construction board, so I'll post here instead.

Just a small matter, (and perhaps there is a setting that I missed) but is there anyway we can automate the login?  ie so that we don't have to click the "login" button every time we come here.
You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 01:54:07 PM »
Maybe I'm not net savvy, but this is getting a little old.  Why do we keep having to lose the archives and start from scratch every couple of years?  We lose a lot of good and memorable posts every single time and it sucks.

Edit:  Okay, found the links to the old forums, so I partially withdraw my criticism, but the oldest forum doesn't work, every link just takes me to the UV main page.

Edit:  And where can I find the really old posts, from like 2000 or so.  Where but in my heart of hearts do those storied correspondences lie?

Well, we started from scratch because the old board software was many versions out of date, no longer supported, and the newer versions cost money. The board had a lot of potential security leaks, and apparently one of these was exploited while I was out in D.C.  Chucara attempted to port all the old posts over, but discovered that doing so would result in the board statistics being all screwed up and many posts being lost. He figured it was better just to start with a clean database and archive the previous board. I don't know what to tell you with the other board. You used to be able to access the posts from that one.

As far as the posts from 2000 or so, we were hosted on other domains/boards. You'd have to contact the various board owners to find out if they ever saved anything. Although, I wouldn't get your hopes up with anything from V13. That database was literally broken as a result of everyone and their mother having access to the scripts. I don't know if Greg ever did figure out who finally broke the camel's back, but with the number of straws that came before, I don't think the blame could be put on any one person. Also, in the case of Vault-Tec.net, I doubt Lance Crowe AKA Moonbiter AKA Mr. Fuck You (AOF) AKA Mr. Mean (his more family friendly moniker he used on JD's Unwashed Villa) kept anything from those days. And fancy finding him because he seems to have fallen off the face of the planet, or at least the various communities either directly or tangentially related to the old Interplay forums.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 01:56:43 PM »
I can't seem to reply to your thread on the Construction board, so I'll post here instead.

Just a small matter, (and perhaps there is a setting that I missed) but is there anyway we can automate the login?  ie so that we don't have to click the "login" button every time we come here.

There should be a pulldown menu next to the login with options to select how long you want to log in for. Select "forever".

And only admins (which right now includes only Chucara...hint, hint) can post to the construction forum.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 02:13:43 PM »
I'm not 100% sure but the older archive forum may contain most of the stuff from the Vault-Tec days though I'm not able to check it as the threads keep directing to an old front page design. The odds of anything pre-dating this surviving intact are fairly remote I'd say. I believe in the case of V13 we couldn't take our stuff without taking the entire database as well, and as Hoopy pointed out about its condition, we just abandoned the board and moved to the new one.

In the case of gamestats, we had a forum script that was the more modern version of the one we used, which some may vaguely remember as being the green and black board which replaced the yellow one, but it kept breaking down so it was scrapped as well.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 02:40:56 PM by Petrarch »

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 02:37:12 PM »
I'm not 100% sure but the older archive forum may contain most of the stuff from the Vault-Tec days though I'm not able to check it as the threads keep directing to an old front page design.

Now that you mention it, you might be right. I know Lance gave the forum a few months notice, and Rob and him worked together to make the transition as smooth as possible, so I wouldn't be surprised if we were able to archive all the posts from then.

One thing for Chucara. I notice that even though the profile settings allow one to make one's email not publicly available, that checkbox doesn't seem to work.

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 09:00:30 PM »
Hoopy: Ok, if we can get the posts, I can try to work them into this forum.

I'm looking into the e-mail problem.. I noticed that as well.. So far, only registered members can see them and not webcrawlers.

Carib

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Light Fighter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 01:26:15 AM »
I am here. Damn changes comes.

PsychoPompos

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 06:25:33 AM »
holy shizzit

i just figured out that holding ctrl (it was a bypass hunch)

and clicking a link on the classic board will take you into the board

and it freaking works

turn the search date to "to the beginning"
and it opens its heart

:'(
 :)

http://www.unwashed.org/classic/index.php?s=53d8b0e513ec2df0df8a874731b13d59&act=SF&f=12

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 06:35:22 AM by PsychoPompos »
"Not really.It's kind of stringy. There are much better meats out there"

And the thunder said,
Datta, Dayadhvam, Damyata

PsychoPompos

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 06:29:46 AM »
The holy motherfucking grail   ;D ;D

i got into the archives... and they all work
"Not really.It's kind of stringy. There are much better meats out there"

And the thunder said,
Datta, Dayadhvam, Damyata

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 10:52:42 AM »
i just figured out that holding ctrl (it was a bypass hunch)

and clicking a link on the classic board will take you into the board

Actually, if you read the bugs thread - it has nothing to do with holding down ctrl.. I just fixed it :D