Author Topic: So turning 21 sucked more than turning 20  (Read 5247 times)

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
So turning 21 sucked more than turning 20
« on: June 15, 2010, 07:41:41 PM »
and not even because i had a huge hangover or got arrested or anything. really didnt drink much come to think of it.

most important shit of it: my laptop died. i've got a toshiba sattelite L35 from 2007 that i just updated to win 7 in early april.

i was going to watch a movie last week and it wouldnt recognize the dvd player, i restarted it. wouldnt boot at all or respond to f2 f12 or f8 or anything. now it wont even start. if i press f2 or something it'll go to what looks like a DOS screen but wont accept any commands or key strokes. i dont want to take it to geek squad or anything because they decided my sister needed a new mother board when her power cord was broken. i've tried taking out RAM, my hard drive and all the other basics i could think of.

does anyone have any suggestions, know what could be wrong or experienced something similar? or should i just suck it up and go to the geek squad?
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
Re: So turning 21 sucked more than turning 20
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 01:22:02 AM »
Laptops usually don't live much beyond three years, sadly.  Not sure if it's the reduced airflow or the fact that they get moved around quite a bit more, but generally you're lucky if you get to the end of the fourth year.

Obviously it's powering up if you're able to hit F2 and get a response.  Exactly how far does it get through a normal boot sequence and what happens at that point?
Does it make a rapid series of beeps at any point?

It sounds like something's fried in the motherboard to me.  If that's the case I honestly don't think it's worth trying to repair it.  The CPU's probably not got much life in it and if you get a new mobo/CPU set you're probably up for new RAM to suit it.

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:03:06 AM »
I can only agree with Swash here. The only two laptops I've seen survive past their fourth year are my own (replaced the HDD twice, split the entire thing apart twice as well to give it a cleaning to prevent heat problems) and my ex's (fucking miracle).

If you only hit boot, never windows, it's most likely the HDD. If you don't get any response, it'll be the I/O controller, the keyboard and/or other bits and bobs of the hardware that're fried. Problem with this sort of error is a) laptops being ridiculously hard to find errors on (because you cannot simply replace hardware until you find the arrant bit like we do on desktops) and b) laptops suck at having proper output controllers and beep-devices to tell us error-codes. If I were you, I'd give the geek-squad a try, see what happens and most likely go order a new laptop when they declare the poor thing DoA.

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:08:28 AM »
Incidentally, happy birthday!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 06:15:38 PM »
Whoops! I got so caught up in the laptop story I forgot to wish you a Happy Toaster day!

Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 06:26:42 AM »
thanks for belated birthday wishes.

turns out my dvd just died and then fucked with everything. mostly works now, but i dont have a dvd player for the moment and i'll miss it until i find a replacement.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 10:39:51 AM »
I'd definitely be taking the time to backup anything you don't want to lose.  I wouldn't be expecting the laptop to live a whole lot longer.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 06:13:53 PM »
I'd definitely be taking the time to backup anything you don't want to lose.  I wouldn't be expecting the laptop to live a whole lot longer.

That happened with my last computer. It started to fizzle... I ran it until in nearly died and portions of the data were corrupted. I was pretty lucky though.. I just lost a few photos but what really irritated me was the audio. I lost 1 chapter out of a 60 file audio book. So I just considered that a lost (the entire 60 file book). Who wants to skip a chapter?

"...I have something to tell you that will SHOCK YOU!"

SKIP

"...so that's what happened to Father! Let's never speak of this again."

=/

And then repeat that over several other audio books.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Morb

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 07:31:29 PM »
Even more belated happy birthday!

Speaking of computers that are breaking down... Does anyone have a clue what's going on with my pc, because some of the newer games like Mass Effect 1-2 and Champions Online have started to get weird graphics bugs, from oddly flashing polygons to bits of character models that stretch into infinity like puppeteer's strings? The card is GeForce 7900 GTX, which has served me well up until now, but lately I've heard a lot of bad stuff about NVIDIA and their card-killer driver updates...   I suppose it could be the new drivers or overheating or both. I wasn't really planning on buying a new one just now, but it's bloody irritating, when you're trying to fight villains and all of a sudden the screen starts to flash like the baddies slipped you some acid or something...

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 01:11:05 AM »
Tis the way is usaully is. But 21 is a state of mind.

Happy Belated Birthday Acd!

PS. HEY ADMINS

I didn't know where to put this, but my browsers won't open the general forum page through both Firefox and Google Chrome. Is anyone else having these issues? Your welcome.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 01:16:04 AM by KMD »
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 01:52:37 AM »
I didn't know where to put this, but my browsers won't open the general forum page through both Firefox and Google Chrome. Is anyone else having these issues? Your welcome.

Try changing the visual theme for the forum.  That was causing problems for a few other people apparently.