Author Topic: Question about the forum rules... spec. the consequences for breaking them.  (Read 4323 times)

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
Among the possible penalties listed for forum rule breaking is this,
- Post count Reset
and this,
- Probationary Period (Results in loss of all privileges except for the ability to post)

Would someone please explain to me how a post count reset is a punishment? Is it like we're all Trandoshan bounty hunters and resetting our post count is akin to the Cosmic Scorekeeper zeroing out our scorecard? Do we win a prize after X number of posts?

And what other revocable privileges beside the ability to post does forum membership carry?

Also, BABA BOOEY! BABA BOOEY! THE WATERCHIP IS IN NECROPOLIS! BABA BOOEY!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:11:36 PM by Loveshack »
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
That one was for cases of one user posting pointless responses to as many threads as possible in an obvious attempt to pad their post count.

Other privileges include Not Having Paris Hilton as User Pic, Not Having Your Posts Edited To Say "I will read and obey the forum rules" and Being Able to Read The Forum.

Some day I hope technology advances to the point that Not Having The Post Button Trigger A Randomly Timed Screamer is an enjoyable privilege.

(In short: The privileges boil down to "Not having the admins make it impossible for you to use the forum in a normal manner until they feel you've learnt your lesson.")

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
Ah, I see. Thank you, Swash.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
Also, the posting rules have been pretty much the same for as long back as Vault-13. With only occasional modifications when one of the admins has decided to actually update them.

I mean, really when it comes down to it, most forums rules can come down to the simple rule of "Don't be a dick."
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Also, the posting rules have been pretty much the same for as long back as Vault-13. With only occasional modifications when one of the admins has decided to actually update them.

I mean, really when it comes down to it, most forums rules can come down to the simple rule of "Don't be a dick."

We should have something like Highlights with Goofus and Gallant... but with Diamond Gypsy playing the role of Goofus.

"Don't Do Diamond Doings"
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
"Don't Do Diamond Doings"

"Don't Do What Diamond Doings Does."

BTW, I found her!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:28:29 PM by Loveshack »

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
i hate you
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

JC

• Wasteland Denizen
  • My Being is Zorg!
    • View Profile
Rules for forum use must be related to current examples of poor behavior.

E.g. Current poor behavior is people not posting.

Solution: Punish those not posting in absentia.  That'll make em come back!

Jeff

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
You can't make me, bitch!

crap

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
Me either!!!

shit