Author Topic: Mass Effect (spoilers)  (Read 5157 times)

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Mass Effect (spoilers)
« on: February 01, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Figured I'd make a post for our newly combined forums, what better way with a game conversation? I'm leaving my first post spoiler free, so that anyone who may not want to know something, doesn't get a face full of spoilers when they open it. Any post I make after will.

Any other villagers into/played the Mass Effect series? Number 2 just came out and it's pretty damn awesome, makes me want to replay the first one just to get different outcomes in the second. The character development is pretty good, they really grow on you as you do your squad mates side missions and learn some of their back stories (not for all of them, some are kinda dull but the majority are good.) Think my favorite people are Mordin and Thane, both very interesting and well done characters.

If you're still reading this and haven't played either of the games and you enjoy a good RPG (albeit with shooter elements,) with a good story, the Mass Effect series is a great pick. The voice acting is top notch and the presentation is wonderful and helps pull you in.

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:54:43 PM »
I'm LOVING Mass Effect 2. I like that they made it a little more shooter-like. Infiltrator w/ cloak and sniper rifle is really fun.

I lost my original save, so I couldn't import my old Shepard, but it's not that big a deal. NPC's are better this time around, too (although they were great in the first as well - but I think this one has a more fleshed-out group of companions.) I like the "personal / loyalty" missions for each.

Good days for gaming, for sure.

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:43:03 PM »
You'll probably want to redo a new save when Mass Effect 3 comes out anyway, so you can make sure you've got all the choices you want. Assuming you care that much lol. The love interests and some of the side plots that are bugged or I missed from the first one have me wanting to go slug back through the first one again and replay the second (waiting for a few patches though, some of the choices don't carry over correctly like Conrad Verner.)

Been playing a Soldier, pretty much blasts anything down in his path...bit more fun then the last game but, been trying out Infiltrator and the Vangaurd. What extra skill do you take with your infiltrator? I'm not far enough on mine yet to pick, but would be good to have some insight :P

I played mostly paragon through it and thinking of making my vangaurd a renegade to see the flip side, really can't wait to see how things pan out with the interrupts with it and the dialogue.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 12:17:37 AM »
Me again.

Despite Star Trek Online arriving, I got through Mass Effect 2 over the weekend and finished it this evening. Used an imported Shepard. Suffice to say, I'll keep how it ended for my character under my hat for now.

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 01:18:18 AM »
my X-Box died the weekend before launch. so i went to EB to pick up my pre-order to go home and not play it.  :dead:

i'd have gotten the PC version if i didn't have 3 end game save files on my X-Box hard drive that i wanted to import.

JC

• Wasteland Denizen
  • My Being is Zorg!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 05:01:56 AM »
I played this game and enjoyed it.

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 09:57:03 AM »
You know, I never did rescue the council in the first game...does that decision have any impact on the sequel?

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 01:37:48 PM »
Basically replaces the alien council with an all human one....they''re both still dicks to you though no matter what.

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 06:00:21 PM »
okay i got my replacement X-Box on Friday, and i am totally in love with this game.

my only nitpicks so far are that the veins that pop up when you are damaged are a bit annoying (as opposed to really annoying, like i first predicted) and the text is meant for HDTV (though some people on the Bioware forums with HDTVs are also complaining about it being too small), and i have had at least one enemy get stuck in a door, even though they said they fixed that.

in short, it's great. i know maybe one person personally who doesn't really like it.

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 11:07:52 AM »
Alright, picked up ME2.  My favourite moment so far: Mordin singing G&S.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXiU6kiq_Ms

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1461-Mass-Effect-2

Yahtzee reviews ME2.

also, started a third playthrough and am about 2/3rds through Insanity mode. which i like to call "masochist" mode. i am also dedicating this playthrough to getting everyone killed :P

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 08:10:06 AM »
I beat it paragon as an infiltrator on normal, it was awesome.  Redoing it on renegade as an adept on the hardest difficulty with a save I got off the web so I could see the results of some different choices in ME1;  jesus H christ I wish I'd saved infiltrator for the harder mode.  I know it's harder and all but I don't see any way the time slowdown when you enter sniping mode doesn't alleviate the whole 'pop up long enough to use a power and your shields are gone' thing.
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now