Author Topic: Ordered a new system  (Read 9389 times)

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ordered a new system
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 09:05:45 PM »
Well, the 975 is top of the line so you'll see an increase over the rest of course, though they weren't available when I built my system so I can't say exactly how good they are.

It's the price that's the killer - it's a staggering amount of money, £800 which works out at $1300. The question you need to ask is do you really need it that much?

Personally, I wouldn't be prepared to hand over that sort of money for it - if you have that much to spend, I'd still go with the 920 and put the saved money towards the graphics card, throw in a 24" widescreen monitor and a nice set of speakers to go with it. You'd probably still have change after that too.

Word of warning as well - overclocking an i7 is ill-advised if you're not up to speed on the whole scene.

Thanks, wasn't really comfortable overclocking, I game and everything but I'm not that concerned with squeezing that much speed out of it.  I'll probably end up going with the added monitor, as I'm getting two Nvidia GTX 295s....need to be able to see the difference better then my crappy 18 inch dell thats on the verge of dying. Always want to get the best, but alot of times it just isn't worth it, thanks for the help :)

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »
Wouldn't get 2 295's either - that'll make it a quad SLI setup and frankly it's not worth it. A single 295 will destroy pretty much anything you can throw at it.

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »
I'm glad I decided to ask around here as well as the other sites I was reading and looking for answers on, been trying to lower the cost while maintaining a great configuration...tried of using my brother's laptop when I want to play anything new (and both can't play at the same time if we wanted to multiplayer.)

Going to mess around so more later after I go fishing with my nephew, thanks for all the help Petrarch

TK

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Too lazy to type Throwback Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 11:00:13 PM »
The latest I7 920 stepping, D0, is quite an overclocker so I'd definately go for one of those.  It's also worth considering going for one or possibly two GTX 275 cards, they perform a hair under the GTX 285 and when the 295 is set to single GPU rendering I think that the 275 would be faster and far far cheaper.  If you have a monitor under 24" you wouldn't really see the benefit of multi GPU rendering.

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 02:23:46 AM »
Finally did some work and research, and with all the help I've gotten on the Digital Storm site, and you guys this is what I'm going to end up with. Getting a free 22'' monitor from my father, cause he's gunna upgrade to something larger hehe

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1333MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W PC Power & Cooling (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Card Reader: 1.44MB Floppy (Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 1.792GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-U12P High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) With Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 05:45:29 AM »
Finally did some work and research, and with all the help I've gotten on the Digital Storm site, and you guys this is what I'm going to end up with. Getting a free 22'' monitor from my father, cause he's gunna upgrade to something larger hehe

Good luck with them. So far my machine has been great. Only one minor software glitch that I don't think has anything to do with them. The new Firefox for some reason sometimes doesn't shut all the way down and Vista won't end the process from inside the Task Manager. It keeps me from even shutting down my machine.  :beadyeyes:
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 03:35:54 AM »

Good luck with them. So far my machine has been great. Only one minor software glitch that I don't think has anything to do with them. The new Firefox for some reason sometimes doesn't shut all the way down and Vista won't end the process from inside the Task Manager. It keeps me from even shutting down my machine.  :beadyeyes:

Going to try to help with that, a temporary solution anyway. I don't have much use in Vista so bear with me on this. Do you know how to end processes through windows task manager? Go in, find the firefox.exe, and "end process." Should shut down...doens't fix your main problem but at least it's something

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 05:41:16 AM »

Going to try to help with that, a temporary solution anyway. I don't have much use in Vista so bear with me on this. Do you know how to end processes through windows task manager? Go in, find the firefox.exe, and "end process." Should shut down...doens't fix your main problem but at least it's something

Addressed it here http://www.unwashed.eu/forum/index.php?topic=2051.0

Problem was that it wouldn't shut down that way either. Nor could I reset or turn off my machine through the menu. I appear to have figured out the source as it hasn't happened again today since I removed Zonealarm.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney