Author Topic: Ordered a new system  (Read 9402 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Ordered a new system
« on: June 26, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
Been saving up for quite a while and got a nice Christmas gift from my Aunt to help out. The sudden price drop at Digital Storm helped too. I assume there's some new tech on the way that caused the drop in price which makes me really glad I waited a bit. I had targeted a system that wasn't nearly this good for about $150 more before the prices were cut.

Specs -

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Antec Nine Hundred Two
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: Intel X58 Chipset (Features: 6 Memory Slots, Firewire, eSATA, Gigabit LAN)
System Memory: 3GB DDR3 1333MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W PC Power & Cooling (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silencer Edition)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: 7.1 24-bit / 192kHz Decoding High Definition Integrated Audio
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) With Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon

The only thing I'll have to upgrade fairly soon is the amount of memory. I should be golden for any games released in the next 2-3 years now.  8)
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Ordered a new system
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 07:36:43 PM »
Not bad at all - I love my i7 920. Not enough difference between it and the 940 to justify going higher given the price difference.

You should go for the extra RAM and get to 6GB as soon as possible - just need to be careful with the BIOS settings as the i7 needs it to run at lower voltages. Anything over 1.65 and you risk frying something.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 07:39:44 PM »
Not bad at all - I love my i7 920. Not enough difference between it and the 940 to justify going higher given the price difference.

You should go for the extra RAM and get to 6GB as soon as possible - just need to be careful with the BIOS settings as the i7 needs it to run at lower voltages. Anything over 1.65 and you risk frying something.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I don't OC really though so it shouldn't be an issue.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 08:29:49 PM »
Very nice. At least I think so... I'm still fuzzy on some of the tech. But the descriptions suggest power!
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 01:36:10 AM »
Nice rig. Hardware has become really cheap lately, as I recently got a surprisingly nice, albeit Gateway, Laptop at best buy for around $500  ;D
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 01:28:42 AM »
Typing this on my new system. Well...actually I'm typing it on a keyboard that's attached to my new system but you get the point.  :P

Everything is going great so far. I'll post some pics of it later as the case is kind of...er...air flowrific. Only odd thing is that the PSU is at the bottom of the case which is a new thing for me. I can see how dust buildup will be more of an issue with that design. Other than that it looks very promising. First game I installed was FO3. Do I get a cookie for that?  ;D

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 05:24:55 PM »
I love the tower, but I gotta admit, the fans (except top fan) were too noisy for me, so I got the low-noise fans and repalced. Plus, the alck of LED's on my new fans lets me keep it running while I sleep. Grats with the sytem either way, though!

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 06:11:48 PM »
I love the tower, but I gotta admit, the fans (except top fan) were too noisy for me, so I got the low-noise fans and repalced. Plus, the alck of LED's on my new fans lets me keep it running while I sleep. Grats with the sytem either way, though!

Mine is pretty quiet compared to what I'm used to with my old system. Either way I can't hear them over my air purifier which is almost always running.  The PSU is a low noise version so that helps.   :)

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 11:03:31 PM »
I'm finally upgrading from my 2.4k single core with a crappy vid card and 1 gigs of memory (screamer for sure), I'm looking at an i7 myself, I'll post specs once I have it ordered and here (still being picky with components, playing with price a bit...never satisfied lol)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 10:01:03 PM »
Just an update on the system performance. Every game I've thrown at it I can play at full resolution (1920x1080) with all the bells and whistles on. Lack of ram doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

I'm playing through FO3 again and I've played COD4, Empire: TW, L4D, TF2, and Bloodbowl. L4D in particular looks awesome with all that detail turned up.  8)

I might load up Bioshock again too at some point.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 10:42:59 PM »
Just an update on the system performance. Every game I've thrown at it I can play at full resolution (1920x1080) with all the bells and whistles on. Lack of ram doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

I'm playing through FO3 again and I've played COD4, Empire: TW, L4D, TF2, and Bloodbowl. L4D in particular looks awesome with all that detail turned up.  8)

I might load up Bioshock again too at some point.

L4D looks SO awesome. On a side note, there was this Guy who got out of prison after 10 years. Most of the article was about the changes in just 10 years and part of that section was related to computers, social networks, internet speed.

But he was raving about L4D. It looks almost real! It's like I'm really there!
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 07:20:35 PM »
Glad to see you're enjoying Fallout at the full shabang. I have to turn SLI off when I run it (otherwise the HDR doesn't work correctly) but that doesn't seem to hold it back at all.

Just as a word to Sandru as well, stick with the i7 920. As I've mentioned above the 940 simply isn't worth the extra money.

I shall end on a screenshot, which being 1980x1200 res, is too big to link in without my getting shouted at.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:23:14 PM by Petrarch »

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 08:40:02 PM »
Glad to see you're enjoying Fallout at the full shabang. I have to turn SLI off when I run it (otherwise the HDR doesn't work correctly) but that doesn't seem to hold it back at all.

Just as a word to Sandru as well, stick with the i7 920. As I've mentioned above the 940 simply isn't worth the extra money.

I shall end on a screenshot, which being 1980x1200 res, is too big to link in without my getting shouted at.

I was actually going to come ask a question about processors, was wondering if the difference between a 920, 950 and 975 was anything really big, I can afford going with the 975 without really worrying about it....just wasn't sure if it was worth it. I've also never overclocked a system, but the site I'm going through offers to do it if I get the upgraded air cooling (which I'm doing anyway, OC or not.) sorry for being a tech noob :P

going to hijack my brothers Fo3 Cd when I end up ordering (still researching parts right now, I've missed alot since I last bought a system) and play it into the ground

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 08:57:09 PM »
Well, the 975 is top of the line so you'll see an increase over the rest of course, though they weren't available when I built my system so I can't say exactly how good they are.

It's the price that's the killer - it's a staggering amount of money, £800 which works out at $1300. The question you need to ask is do you really need it that much?

Personally, I wouldn't be prepared to hand over that sort of money for it - if you have that much to spend, I'd still go with the 920 and put the saved money towards the graphics card, throw in a 24" widescreen monitor and a nice set of speakers to go with it. You'd probably still have change after that too.

Word of warning as well - overclocking an i7 is ill-advised if you're not up to speed on the whole scene.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 09:02:35 PM by Petrarch »