Author Topic: I have a burning question, that I need to ask......  (Read 4922 times)

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
I have a burning question, that I need to ask......
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:18:05 AM »
So, how was Fallout 3 received? I actually made it to the midnight launch to get it....On the Ps3, but hey, it was Worth it to me.

Did it hold up to your standards? Did it live up to the old "soul" of the orginals? Was it ENJOYABLE?

I will say I was happy with it.... cant quite be the same as the old ones, but then again, it can never be the games we rember,
 just like waste land kinda cant be directly compared to fallout 1 or 2.

Im STILL messing around with it and intend to get a computer copy of it pretty soon..... now that I have a damned compuuter to run it on! :LOL:
Back from the Wastes after far, far to long....

To those who remember such things, Was once Known as "Darkness Flame" (A looooong time ago)

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
Re: I have a burning question, that I need to ask......
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 01:10:23 PM »
The second sticky at the top of the board (the FO3 spoilers thread) is a good place to look for this kind of info.  However, if you're worried about the spoilers part, the executive summary is that people seemed to like it.  From my recollection of the thread there was general consensus that the atmosphere was good and the ending was terrible.  There was some initial concern that it would be Oblivion with guns, but most seemed happy with the way it turned out.

Oh, and it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who remembers Wasteland.  Did you spot the references to it in FO3?  Vax was probably the biggest one that I encountered.

edit:  And yes, that's an original Wasteland graphic to the left.

<---
You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 04:32:06 AM »
Ive always liked your AV LOL   8)

In all honesty I likely missed quite a few references as it has been a LOOOOONG time since Id played it...

I do have to ask, did you ever get a chance to play Fountain of dreams though?

Sorry about posting something that seems to be a repeat  :worried: I should have noticed the mentioned thread....
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 04:41:20 AM by Desolo »

To those who remember such things, Was once Known as "Darkness Flame" (A looooong time ago)

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 06:14:50 AM »
I never played Fountain of Dreams.  However, I did notice that the Wasteland wiki states:

On June 21, 2007, Brian Fargo said, "I am indeed looking into bringing back the game that spawned the Fallout series. Stay tuned...." in an interview with fan site Duck and Cover.

Haven't seen anything more recent about it, but I am keeping my ear to the ground.
You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 07:02:16 AM »
I have a burning question, that I need to ask

There's a shot for that now...so I hear.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 04:25:16 AM »
Founatain of Dreams took a long time to locate.... And I lost it a looooooonnnggg time ago. Had to "install" it on a 3 1/4" floppy in order to get it to work! :LOL:
And even then if you messed up and made the game impossible to finish you had to start from scratch. It was an interesting game, but no where near as good as what wasteland was....

As for the rumor that one day wasteland will be back..... That would be just so cool wouldnt it?  ;D

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 08:14:05 AM »
Fountain of Dreams is a bit easier to find these days, what with the plethora of abandonware sites out there.  It's against forum rules to post links to such sites though - just a heads-up for those that go looking and want to share what they've found.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 02:19:25 PM »
Fountain of Dreams is a bit easier to find these days, what with the plethora of abandonware sites out there.  It's against forum rules to post links to such sites though - just a heads-up for those that go looking and want to share what they've found.

It's not against the rules to post links to abandonware sites as long as they don't contain Warez.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:05:21 PM »
Even If i could find that one again I doubt I could play it on this thing! :LOL:

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 11:49:45 PM »
Hm, didn't know there was a distinction between abandonware and warez.

In any case, Fountain of Dreams should be playable if you run DOSbox.  Handy little DOS emulator that can even simulate a slower processor.
http://www.squakenet.com/computer_games/download.asp?game=321&title=Fountain-of-dreams has links to a few places to download the game as well as a link to Dosbox.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:52:40 PM by Swash »

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 01:14:53 AM »
So, how was Fallout 3 received? I actually made it to the midnight launch to get it....On the Ps3, but hey, it was Worth it to me.

Did it hold up to your standards? Did it live up to the old "soul" of the orginals? Was it ENJOYABLE?

I will say I was happy with it.... cant quite be the same as the old ones, but then again, it can never be the games we rember,
 just like waste land kinda cant be directly compared to fallout 1 or 2.

Im STILL messing around with it and intend to get a computer copy of it pretty soon..... now that I have a damned compuuter to run it on! :LOL:

I am enjoying it. I don't seem to be as into it as I was the last ones, but I am also 10 years older and far busier in my life...so that might be the reason. I've not found anything about the game that I dislike yet.  *thumbs up*
"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 03:12:29 PM »
Now to figure out how to get it to run.....Nothing like trying to make things work almost 20 years after they were published  :laugh:

I am impressed most people Ive asked about Fallout 3 agree that it turned out pretty well.