Author Topic: My new PC upgrades (glad I delayed it last year)  (Read 2957 times)

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
My new PC upgrades (glad I delayed it last year)
« on: January 30, 2009, 04:48:51 PM »
Been ordering my parts and while the graphics card and PSU won’t be ordered until next week, this is what we’re going to look like.

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 8MB Cache
Asus PT6 Deluxe Intel X58 Motherboard
6GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC10666 CAS 9-9-9-24
BFG nVidia GTX 295 1752MB GPU
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Edition
500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA-II 7200rpm
LG GGH-H20L Blu-Ray/HD DVD/DVD/CD Super multi drive
Corsair HX 1000w PSU
Windows Vista 64 Ultimate

Treated myself to a MS Sidewinder X6 Keyboard to match my mouse and probably going to replace my monitor in a couple of months as my current one won’t go higher than 1280.

There we have it – away from the old X2 4800 dual core and onto quad core. It also marks my return to Intel and leaving ATi behind.

There are 940 and 965 i7 chips as well, but the performance difference between the 920 and 940 is so small it simply isn’t enough to justify the extra £200. For the price and performance it throws out, the 920 is stunning. The GTX 295 didn’t come cheap however and I was originally going for the 4870X2, but while either card can run at high frame rates with AA/AF enabled at resolutions most people’s monitors can’t even display, the ATi cards seem to be more dependant on their driver updates this time and while there’s not much in it, the 295 is regarded as having won the performance crown.  Due to the amount of RAM in the system (i7 chips require the RAM fitted in sets of 3 rather than pairs – and they run at lower voltages into the bargain) a 64 bit OS was necessary this time.

Looking forward to seeing how it flexes that horsepower with Fallout 3 and in general – if all goes to plan and the parts arrive on time, I should be good to go next week.

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
Re: My new PC upgrades (glad I delayed it last year)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:04:55 AM »

must... resist... MK joke... CAN'T!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 05:20:06 AM »

must... resist... MK joke... CAN'T!

Old photoshop.

Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

JC

• Wasteland Denizen
  • My Being is Zorg!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:37:57 PM »
You've got the height of computing technology in that thing.  You have a graphics card with more RAM than my desktop.

And you're going to put Windows on it?

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 04:36:43 PM »
Gaming means Linux has issues unless you emulate, and some games can't run hardware mouse in openGL (WoW being one of them).

Though why you'd get vista is beyond me- there's a free windows7 beta which far outperforms Vista and it's free until it's released this fall o.O

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 05:08:41 PM »
Because I've had a retail copy of Vista for ages that contains both the 32 and 64 bit versions.

And I'n not going to spend a year or more using a beta OS. I'll upgrade it when it's released.