Author Topic: What's going on in your life?  (Read 538469 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your life?
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2007, 05:25:38 AM »
 :'(

I found out today that my favorite of my parent's cats Precious has been found to have a very low white cell count and the vets are thinking it could be either AIDS or leukemia.  They are supposed to get blood tests back tomorrow to confirm if it's either one. Since they have the two other cats they might have her put to sleep if it turns out to be either one. She's only about 3-4 years old.

"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2007, 08:38:32 PM »

I found out today that my favorite of my parent's cats Precious has been found to have a very low white cell count and the vets are thinking it could be either AIDS or leukemia.  They are supposed to get blood tests back tomorrow to confirm if it's either one. Since they have the two other cats they might have her put to sleep if it turns out to be either one. She's only about 3-4 years old.

Awwww =( Four years is too young for a cat to die.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2007, 09:14:22 PM »

Awwww =( Four years is too young for a cat to die.

Well...I contacted my friends that have the foster home for pets and we are feeling a bit better about this atm. We still haven't heard back from the vet but it seems that feline AIDS and leukemia aren't necessarily a death sentence even if you have other cats in the home to consider.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2007, 10:36:43 PM »
Cat update -

Both tests came back negative. However the only way to rule out leukemia completely is with a bone marrow test so early next week she will get that done and an ultrasound just to be sure. The low white count still being a concern and all.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2007, 06:48:04 PM »
My girlfriend, a mutual friend, and I participated in a road rallye with a Harry Potter Deathly Hallows theme on Saturday night. It was part scavenger hunt, part road navigation, part instruction following, and part game. You're given a list of roads you need to follow and to turn on (though the instructions don't always explicitly tell you what you need to do), and a series of other instructions that give hints on when you must peform certain actions that take precedence over the standard route instructions. There were 25 cars that registered (two cars apparently preregistered), and 24 cars that actually participated. There were 9 beginner cars (i.e. never won a trophy), 10 novice cars (those that have won a beginner trophy, 3 master cars (those that have one a novice trophy) and 2 grand master cars (those that have wone a master trophy). Each car also got to choose which Hogwarts house it belonged to. We chose Slytherin. I had only been on one rallye before, and that was a puzzle rallye where there is no predefined route. Just a bunch of locations you have to visit which are determined by puzzles you solve (and you can visit any location in any order, and you also will never be able to visit all the locations) and things you need to find at these locations. The other two had never participated in a Rallye period.

So we made many mistakes, many which we realized after it was too late to fix them. We got to the end knowing that we didn't do very well, but apparently a lot of other cars felt the same way. We also had to the tiebreaker quiz which was matching up the characters to their patronuses (this is the only part of the event that actually required knowledge of the books, the rallye itself did not). In the tiebreaker you got 5 points for each correct match and lost two points for each wrong match. (The tiebreaker score being independent of the rallye score.)

It turns out on the official answer sheet of the rallye which was handed out to everyone after they finsihed there were 38 specific things you needed to do. Each one you did incorrectly netted you 10 points. When they announced the scores, the last place team had something like 330 points. We listened for our car number and were amazed as the numbers got lower and we hadn't been called. Then they mentioned the 10th place team had also gotten the highest score on the tiebreaker (knowing we knew all but two, I figured this would be us). Sure enough, with a score of 180 points (hey, that's one item better than 50%) we placed 10th overall, and second in the Beginner class, garnering us a trophy. The first in the beginner class placed 9th and beat us by only 10 points, which means one less mistake and their would have been a tie. They were also Slytherine interestingly enough. Slytherine managed to get four cars finishing in the top 10, Ravenclaw got 3, and Gryffindor got 3. As a result, Slytherine was the winning house as well. (The Hufflepuffs all finished outside of the top 10.)
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Sweetpea

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2007, 11:45:26 AM »
Back to work today after a weekend tour of the South of England.

Spent Friday driving down to Exeter where Nat's gran proceeded to feed us cake and cream teas until we left the next day. Got to Brighton about half 8, at the pub by 9, went to search for food about 12/1am and then back to Fleet's house to drink the cider we'd bought from Devon for the boys and smoking til 4am.
Woke up on Sunday shaking involuntarily from all the sugar and alcohol leaving my body.  Went to see Steve at the cafe and he made us breakfast then down to Brighton beach and the Pier!!!  it really is as tacky as everyone thinks it is but awesome at the same time!  I got a Brighton teatowel and the shakes again from going on the trampolines.  I also rolled down Brighton Beach and it felt a lot like one of those hard, uncomfortable massages but smelt really really nice. 

met with job people in London on Monday and then the long drive back up  :bigcry: my left hip had turn to dust by the time we got in.

excellent weekend all round cept I'm never trusting anyone who says 'no, i promise you, they're not doubles.' ever again...bunch'a'bastards.
Thomas Jefferson: Question with boldness even the existance of a god; because if there be one,  he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2007, 10:04:32 PM »
Sigh...my grandmother is pretty much driving everyone crazy. She's been up here staying with my parents for the last few months and they generally like having her there. It gives my mom someone to visit with during the day and it gives my Aunt a much needed break from taking care of her down in Orlando

However it's becoming increasingly like living with a toddler. Her faculties are still there although she's pretty forgetful. The problem is that she has poor balance and does stupid stuff like trying to take a bucket full of water out on to the back porch to water plants. She doesn't ask for help, doesn't use her cane or walker and ends up falling on her butt. So I ended up out there trying to help her get up. Luckily I was over here at the time because my power has been out all day at home. As I was saying it's almost like having a toddler because it's to the point where you feel like you have to follow her around or at least be aware of where she is and what she's doing at all times.

I have to run now...I think she's heading for a floor fan.  :P

karategoldfish

• Wasteland Denizen
  • uv mac enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • http://karategoldfish.livejournal.com
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2007, 04:34:47 AM »
Cat update -

Both tests came back negative. However the only way to rule out leukemia completely is with a bone marrow test so early next week she will get that done and an ultrasound just to be sure. The low white count still being a concern and all.

yo brug,
i've had chemo-kitties my entire life.  ;) sure, they live shorter than the average cat, but not by much. i've had mya for 7 years, and when we got her she was between 1 and 2. my cats have always been indoor cats, but they aren't in pain and have had good lives, so it isn't nearly as sad as it sounds!
still, it's always better to have a completely healthy cat. good luck to your schnukums!!
love, fish

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2007, 05:20:42 AM »
Cat update -

yo brug,
i've had chemo-kitties my entire life.  ;) sure, they live shorter than the average cat, but not by much. i've had mya for 7 years, and when we got her she was between 1 and 2. my cats have always been indoor cats, but they aren't in pain and have had good lives, so it isn't nearly as sad as it sounds!
still, it's always better to have a completely healthy cat. good luck to your schnukums!!

She is doing much better and all the tests came back negative. She ended up not having to do the bone marrow thing which was nice but she was very traumatized by the ultrasound. She hid under the bed for a full day after that.  :(

I posted a pic of her eating in Doomsie's thread here http://www.unwashed.org/forum/index.php?topic=117.0

karategoldfish

• Wasteland Denizen
  • uv mac enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • http://karategoldfish.livejournal.com
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2007, 07:15:32 AM »
aw! good!
it seems like we're living parallel lives. my grandmother has alzheimer's. so i can relate to that too.  :mean:
love, fish

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2007, 02:00:53 PM »
On Saturday Liz and I got to be "crowd" extras on the set of the next Batman movie. It'll be interesting to see if we actually show up on screen.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2007, 04:47:43 PM »
where are they filming? and for how long?
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

TK

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Too lazy to type Throwback Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2007, 09:13:50 PM »
I was in the central belt this weekend, the amount of lochs thay have is unbelievable, almost every corner you turn there's another one.  Went to the Scottish deer center too, fed some deer and then watched the wolves getting fed... they got venison  :stunned:.  The wolf feeding was really cool, as the woman doing it was telling us that the alpha male was pretty safe to take his time over the meat because none of the others would challenge him the omega wolf stole the huge chunk of meat he had and ran away, he didn't manage to catch him.  Also saw a really cool bird display.

All that and I forgot the camera.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2007, 09:39:04 PM »
my grandmother has alzheimer's. so i can relate to that too.  :mean:

Mine doesn't have it so she doesn't have any excuse except she's too prideful to admit she can't do certain things anymore. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. That has to be just one of the worst things in the world to go through both for the person that has it and their family.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2007, 02:36:51 AM »
where are they filming? and for how long?

1) The filming locations change around the city, so I don't know where. As far as how long, they are supposed to wrap officially on September 1st.

2) Even if I did know where, I couldn't tell you anyway. I signed a non-disclosure agreement about revealing any specifics I would see/hear about the movie. I can't even tell you what they're calling the working title of the shoot. They aren't calling it the Dark Knight because they don't want to get crowds of onlookers.

3) There was a general cast call for extras a while back. These were for the costumed roles and were announced openly. Usually days they need extras for crowd scenes are not openly advertised. You need to know someone, or be affiliated with a non-profit. Liz and I were working on behalf of a non-profit, so they got each of our $50 wages. Yeah, crowd extras don't get paid much. But you do get free breakfast and lunch. Plus, you get to meet a lot of people (met a guy who graduated with me at Northwestern, we knew a lot of the same people, but had never met as undergrads) and occasionally hob-nob with the celebrities. Although, at this shoot there wasn't really any interaction between the major roles and the crowd.

4) There were roughly 150 of us as crowd extras.

5) There were about the same amount of costumed extras.

6) Liz saw Aaron Eckhart (Harvey Dent) pick his nose.

7) Maggie Gyllenhall really is that hot.

8.) Gary Oldman really is shorter than many people expect. My girlfriend had remarked on this. (Although I didn't know his height, I've seen enough of the movies he's been in to know he's not tall.) Seeing him in real life, he's about average height. And he's very skinny.

9) Christian Bale, Michael Caine, and Morgan Freeman weren't on set that day, or were shooting somewhere else. We weren't in a scene with them.

10) Liz and I were scheduled to do Sunday as well, but we had to cancel because we had both had a long week and were dead tired after having to get up that early on Saturday as well.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 02:38:37 AM by Hoopy Frood »