Author Topic: What's going on in your life?  (Read 538455 times)

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Re: What's going on in your life?
« Reply #1290 on: October 07, 2020, 07:29:28 PM »
Well. I quit my job because I found a better one. But I have a 6-month competition clause, so now I'm unemployed and slowly developing cabin fever from being a stay-at-home-dad.

But I bought a new 3D printer and I picked up miniature painting as a hobby, which is a very relaxing non-electronical passtime.

Cool. I used to hang around game store where people painted Warhammer 40k miniatures. As a teen played Mage Knight, which was similar but the figures were prepainted.

Working in a school has been made a nightmare by covid restrictions and having the worst prime minister of all time at the helm.

On the bright side, I'm getting an apartment with my girlfriend soon. :)

I am planning to move in with my partner of 1 year aswell. My only experience living with a female was with a stripper, and er, it wasn't the best. So this should be better I hope.

---

Overall things are okay. I am at the same company from my last post, in the trucking industry, and fortunately we have the ability to work from home since March, as the industry is basically completely computerized now. We only deliver frozen food products, and our industry actually got busier after Covid, especially in March/April when people were panic buying food. At the time, truckers had some of the most important jobs in the country, to keep food available in stores, and it felt good to be a part of that.

It's a somewhat small local company and I don't see much opportunity for growth. My career goal is to work in international shipping, so I would like to move on to a bigger company (DHL for example) who does that and make more money. My after tax income is about $28k, not really enough to save up for a house or invest much. Some days I just want to drop it all and say "Fuck it I'll work in finance!".

I'll be 30 in a few months. It doesn't matter to me much. The weirdest thing is how many people I knew from highschool are married with families now. I remember a lot of things, so its a bit hard to let these memories go of people I used to know, and how I will (or should) never see them again. I've been taking counseling for the past few months to help with my relationship and general negative attitude that I think has turned people off.

Excited for the next chapter of my life. I want to move to another city before I start a family.
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: October 08, 2020, 03:51:21 AM »

I'll be 30 in a few months. It doesn't matter to me much. The weirdest thing is how many people I knew from highschool are married with families now.

I'm 44, and there's at least one grandparent from my high school class, and most of the others have children. (I graduated from a small public school of 206 students; there were 46 in my class, which was the smallest of the four classes. The freshman class had around 75 students.)

I don't even have kids yet...though Liz and I are planning on starting this month. She's 38, due to our age we're pretty much getting to the "now or never" stage.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

TK

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Too lazy to type Throwback Kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: October 09, 2020, 06:20:08 AM »
I’m clinging on to the last few months of being 40, my children are 11,9 and 7.  I realised yesterday that my mother was a grandparent by this age through both of my older brothers.  A good few of my classmates have children planning their own weddings some have grandchildren.  This all seems barely credible and I often make a silent humble request of the world to just stop for a bit, give us sunshine and a month of Sunday’s so we can just breath but life seems to move fastest when you’re standing still.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: October 17, 2020, 03:49:10 AM »

I'm 44, and there's at least one grandparent from my high school class, and most of the others have children. (I graduated from a small public school of 206 students; there were 46 in my class, which was the smallest of the four classes. The freshman class had around 75 students.)

I don't even have kids yet...though Liz and I are planning on starting this month. She's 38, due to our age we're pretty much getting to the "now or never" stage.

I'm still not dead, but I am 40 now. A few flecks of individual grey hairs these days near my temples (right where I wanted them if I was going to get them as luck would have it) as a result of that and I still have the beard, but I'm otherwise in one piece.

I'm one of those older father type folks. After I got married, we started trying a few months later. I was 34 at this point and Mrs. P 32. After 3 years of failure, the twins took hold and were born, I turned 38 the following month. There was no reason, be it medical, social or whatever else you'd put a name to for how long it took, it was just simply bad luck. Some couples have an easier time of it than others, but getting pregnant isn't as easy as the world makes it look. Many of the folks I used to go to school with have older kids, but if I look back, had I had kids when I was in my early 20's, I probably wouldn't have been ready for it. Hell, I'm still learning this parenting thing and I don't always get it right, but they're both healthy and coming along well. One of them is better with their speech, the other is better with their motor skills.

They'll turn 30 in the year 2048, the same year I'll turn 68. It's scary biscuits when I think about it in those terms, but those days are still some way off.

Oh and hello for the first time in about 2.5 years.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: October 18, 2020, 09:26:46 PM »
Good to see you, Petrarch.

Glad to hear the family's doing well.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 21, 2020, 12:02:01 AM »
Hi Petrarch,

It's so nice to hear from you again. There is bugger all activity here, but it warms my heart that people are still dropping in from time to time.

Also, I obviously try to sell all your personal data to the internet people, so the more, the merrier. Though so far, only Facebook has responded to ask me to refrain from contacting them ever again and asked me to delete my profile.

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
« Reply #1296 on: March 12, 2021, 12:43:56 AM »
My job has gone rancid, more or less overnight.

We have a lot of elderly and vulnerable staff, who have been urged to go into the classroom this week. Bare in mind, there is nothing protecting them from the Coronavirus, besides masks and face shields. Meanwhile, they're having to sit shoulder to shoulder with a different kid, every half an hour, packed in a small room with around 30 of them.

Anyone who doesn't think that's very safe and doesn't wish to attend has recieved a lot of berating from the management and a fair few threats. It's clear that the new management look down on us but the level that they do so has only really been made clear this week.

Every day this week I'm seeing people I've grown up with, people that I respect and see as family leave in tears. All because our weak manager can't lead properly, so she has to resort to this rancid behaviour.

On top of that, our former manager got into an incident with them, which they are over reacting to. They've offered to 'protect' us from her but when it comes to the killer virus, we're SOL. I'm not sure I'll ever know the words that can express the level of contempt that I feel for this situation and our joke of a manager, who hasn't left her house since this mess started, gloating about how she gets to work at home in staff meetings with the higher ups.

The people that I work with are some of the kindest, most professional people I've met and what' shappening to them is unforgivable. I'm looking into a way out as there'll be places with jobs available that pay better and people treat you like a human being on top of it.

I wish my management the greatest of success in making the places that they run rancid shit holes. I cannot wait for them to be surrounded by incompitent guttersnipes who all hate eachother and fail time and time again as they cannot work together for more than ten minutes. I hope that she gets the loyalty that she deserves, when all of the people she's looked down on and try to manipulate over the years find themselves in a position, where they can royally screw her over and will do so for one reason or another.

Haven't really been able to express my disgust to anyone in my personal life, don't want it coming back on me, hence the vent.

I hope nobody else here is going through anything like this. Hope you're all hanging in there and are getting through everything as unscathed as possible. <3
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: March 12, 2021, 05:24:55 AM »
Sorry to hear it.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: May 17, 2021, 09:29:00 PM »
Liz and I closed on a condo on April 30.

We'll be officially moved as of this Friday.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: January 28, 2022, 11:36:26 PM »
While debating what color to stain pine stair treads to match an oak banister I realized it’s been quite some time since I’ve visited. I am still debating colors and now fear what I had in mind will clash with my old bunker beneath the village. At least we’ve started something after 7 years of homeownership
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Pariah Deathclaw

• Tangerine Target
  • Deathclaws are cool!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1300 on: February 21, 2022, 01:27:28 PM »
Im currently in college/6th form and trying my best to learn plumbing I'm debating joining the military as a logistics driver rank driver or a regular plumber.
suffice to say not much is going on in my life just trying to exist and stay livin.
Rad away? I assure you i cannot get any less rad -Pariah Deathclaw

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: July 11, 2022, 04:14:35 AM »
Liz is pregnant and due around December 20. It's going to be a girl. Leila Lydia for first and middle names.

The Hanged Man

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Eleutherophobic freedom fighter
    • View Profile
    • My Fallout lore sandbox site!
« Reply #1302 on: July 13, 2022, 12:15:24 PM »
Woo, congrats! :D

BTW, I hear 'The Hanged Man' is a very popular girls' name these days. ;)
The sun beyond the mountain glows
The yellow river seaward flows
You can enjoy a grander sight
By climbing to a greater height

I have run out of places to climb. I will abandon this body and take to the air. We will leave twin vapor trails in the air, white lines etched into these rocks. I am the aerial. In my passing, I will send news to each and every star.

Mrs Brown says: 'Hapiness is an effect, not a goal.'

Charlie is yelling @barit0wned
PC: A spider laid eggs inside my body and I need to get them out before they hatch
DM: You'll need the spider's permission first...