Author Topic: What's going on in your life?  (Read 538658 times)

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your life?
« Reply #765 on: June 02, 2010, 04:01:55 AM »
Been a while... Hey guys. Long time no see. Very sorry. Been busy, lots of training and making our way for the next big Deployment to Afghanistan!

And a happy belated Memorial Day to you.

Good to hear things are still going well with you.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Carib

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Light Fighter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: June 08, 2010, 09:21:42 PM »
I missed you guys. Well after July things should slow down enough for me to be able to give you guys a heads up on my doing. I am well. Right now the good news I have is my wife is pregnant, so I am going to be a father. The sad part is, I won't be here for the delivery since I am deploying.

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #767 on: June 08, 2010, 09:28:49 PM »
Christ, where do I start?

Stopped playing wow, decided after 3 months that watching Tv and playing endless games of SC2 beta was not better and restarted. Playing more casually now and having a blast. Working out, getting drunk, the same old really.
Currently cramming for a butt-load of annoying exams. Finished statistics today (hoping for a passing grade, will be a bit sketchy). Saturday is an oral exam in operating systems (roughly 900 pages, 14 subjects, teacher expects no more than 10 words per subject for notes- yeah, he can go fuck himself). Calculus2 re-exam next Saturday (fuck it to hell, I was supposed to be judging the Danish nationals in Magic: The Gathering that weekend  :beadyeyes2: ). Still doing Friday Night Magics at my dorm's bar, where I also got a steady gig as bartender (every other weekend, give or take). Final exam is the 23rd (concurrent programming) and the 25th I'll be leaving for the US for 5 weeks. Still trying to see if I can fit in time to hit those of you in Chicago if you have a day or two free.
MY grandfather died February, which was a mercy for someone who hit extreme senility after his wife died two years prior. My only remaining grandparent is my 94 year-old grandmother, whom we just moved into a nursing home after the caretakers at a protective-housing place were unable to give her the care she requires anymore. After we got her furniture and pictures over there,s he's settled quite well, but I doubt she'll live to see 95.

And Carib, congratulations! Looking forward to hearing more lengthily from you soon =)

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 09, 2010, 02:06:09 AM »
and the 25th I'll be leaving for the US for 5 weeks. Still trying to see if I can fit in time to hit those of you in Chicago if you have a day or two free.

This +1! I'll be moving in with my girlfriend into an apartment there later this month. (Stupid house hasn't sold yet, though.) And while I'll be out of town for the end of the month. (Origins gaming convention in Ohio, followed by a (likely) trip to India for a wedding, so I'll be gone from June 23-July 5) I'll be around for the rest of July. So if you are hitting Chitown after then, let me know. The best place to get a beer in Chicago (according to BeerAdvocate.com) is about a mile from our place. They have 26 craft beers and imports on tap, another on the handpump machine, and around 200 or so bottles.

There's also an amazing (and amazingly inexpensive) little Cuban restaurant that's a BYOB right down the street from us. They even make homemade sangria and mojito mixes. You just supply the booze.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #769 on: June 10, 2010, 01:31:56 AM »
You're making me drool, Hoopy :o

But yeah, seems tickets from NE are like $60 one-way to Chicago, so definitely wanna come by. If anyone has a couch I could crash on to make it a weekend, that'd be awesome (strangers from the internet on your couches- tantalizing thought  :dizzy: ). Alternatively I might just make a daytrip outta it. Who else will be around during July?

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 11, 2010, 03:54:04 AM »
You're making me drool, Hoopy :o

But yeah, seems tickets from NE are like $60 one-way to Chicago, so definitely wanna come by. If anyone has a couch I could crash on to make it a weekend, that'd be awesome (strangers from the internet on your couches- tantalizing thought  :dizzy: ). Alternatively I might just make a daytrip outta it. Who else will be around during July?

My girlfriend's got a futon (so do I, but my couches and futon stay behind until the house sells), so it probably won't be too difficult for you to crash at our place.

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #771 on: June 14, 2010, 07:07:27 PM »
Sounds awesome! Going to Nashville to visit my host-sister's hubby (stationed there while his medical discharge is being processed) until the 5th. Any particular dates past that, that would suit you best?

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: June 15, 2010, 12:39:10 AM »
Sounds awesome! Going to Nashville to visit my host-sister's hubby (stationed there while his medical discharge is being processed) until the 5th. Any particular dates past that, that would suit you best?

Don't know. Let me get back to you. The following weekend I'm probably heading back out to the house to clean it for a day. We'll see.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 15, 2010, 07:30:44 PM »
The best place to get a beer in Chicago (according to BeerAdvocate.com) is about a mile from our place.

if they have non beer liquors i'm fairly certain i can make the trip downtown.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #774 on: June 15, 2010, 08:31:32 PM »
Oi, get on MSN AcdQueen  :(

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 16, 2010, 12:15:45 AM »
The best place to get a beer in Chicago (according to BeerAdvocate.com) is about a mile from our place.

if they have non beer liquors i'm fairly certain i can make the trip downtown.

They have a few wines. And they have an extensive collection of bourbon, Scotch, Irish whiskey, and other whiskeys. (While they are primarily known for their beer, they, like most of the craft-beer bars in the city, are also known for having a great whisk(e)y selection.)

As well as pretty much any U-Call-It.

And they can even do a martini, though, I wouldn't expect much beyond the standard vodka/gin and vermouth combo.

And they even serve Intelligentsia coffee.

The website:  http://www.maproom.com
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:19:01 AM by Hoopy Frood »

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 07, 2010, 05:24:04 AM »
Bangalore was great! The food was phenomenal. I've never had vegetarian that good before. If I could eat that stuff every day it'd almost be enough to make me give up meat.

That being said, I'm glad to be back in the First World with such creature comforts as readily available TP, comfortable mattresses, soap in every bathroom, and tap water you can drink.

Not to mention clean-air standards.

KMD

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #777 on: July 23, 2010, 12:01:29 AM »
     Good thing they're making K2 illegal in Missouri; It's ridiculously easy to get. I walked into a head-shop this past weekend, and two kids (looking about 16) walked in, pointed at the counter, payed up forty bucks and left, without more than a few words and no i.d. check. It was mind boggling how quickly they made 40 dollars on (legal) drugs. Though I think it's illegal in most states, not Missouri until the end of August.
     If marijuana were this easy to get companies would make ridiculous profits, scary thought.  :bucktooth:
In the wasteland, the sly survive and the past and present are one, the sinners rot and the future is the ultimate purgatory

Killmod/Jesse

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 25, 2010, 05:00:04 AM »
So the results from my Learning Disability testing were given to me yesterday afternoon. My visual processing and memory abilities are 3 standard deviations away from my audio processing (I've always had a phenomenal auditory memory), with a bit of ADHD thrown in just to add icing to the LD cake. I've got a non-verbal learning disability.

It's something that affects less than 1% of the population, with an equal proportion among males and females. However, females with this condition have a significant advantage over males:  they usually possess higher executive-level processing. In other words, they have high enough levels of cognizant ability that they can compensate for there lack of visual processing acuity. This is why 83% of adult males with this LD are currently spending or have spent time in prison. Fortunately, I was blessed with an off the charts executive level function.

If anyone's curious, here are two articles on the subject:

http://www.friendsofquinn.com/share/c/39623/1671/disabilities

http://www.learningdisabilitiesinfo.com/nonverbal.html

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 12, 2010, 08:55:38 PM »
i just got back from florida.

if you ever go on vacation with someone over 80, dont let them drive. they might be able to drive mostly fine in an area they know, never EVER let them go on unfamiliar streets if you want to come out of the car with any part of your sanity intact.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?