Author Topic: Graphics Cards  (Read 1893 times)

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Graphics Cards
« on: December 31, 2008, 08:10:35 PM »
The time has come again to upgrade the PC - I didn't do the upgrade last year like I planned on but this time it's out of necessity. In what I assume is a botched driver update, both my sound card and DVD drive are dead. Obliterating all traces of the driver hasn't helped nor has a system restore. Might be nothing to do with that and it's just decided to die on me all at once (the soundcard is about 6 years old now but the bundled software never quite worked right for it) but with the system itself approaching 3 years, I may as well do it all at once.

Going to strip it out and use the same case (CoolerMaster 830 Stacker) but everything else is going. What I need is a bit of a heads up on graphics cards. Any perticular recommendations for what to look at? I'm toying with going back to nVidia but I don't know what ATI are like these days either.

Assume for the moment budget is of no concern and I'll work backwards from there if the prices are a bit too steep.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Cards
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 08:59:24 PM »
Well I'm kind of behind with it all as well but I do know that ATI supposedly has faster cards for lower prices atm. I see people talking about that a lot. However I don't know if I'll ever go back to ATI because of all the driver issues I had with my last one.

I'm looking to upgrade from my 7950gt as well but moving up requires a new power supply. Also my liquid cooling system for my CPU is now 2 years old. I have no idea how to maintain it, the company I ordered from gives no tech support (never respond to emails) and the fan that helps to cool the liquid is starting to go out. It's a cooler master thing but I went to their website and have yet to track down a tech support email address or phone number.

So I'm kind of stuck as to what I can do. Maybe I should take it to the geek squad and just have them replace the liquid cooling with standard fans. Anyone know if they do that sort of thing and if I should leave my system in their hands?

Apologies for the semi-hijack, Petrarch.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Cards
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 09:42:47 PM »
No worries. In fact a last resort all or nothing attempt there now has restored my soundcard but the DVD drive is still out and it sounds like one of the fans has gone now too. Still, I'll press ahead in the new year with upgrading as it's needs done sooner rather than later.