Author Topic: Wrath of the Lich King launch!  (Read 10204 times)

Max Stone

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
Wrath of the Lich King launch!
« on: November 13, 2008, 09:28:39 PM »
Ah, it's that time! A new WoW expansion.

It's been a pretty smooth launch so far, at least when it comes to the realms being stable. (For those joining in, I work tech support for Blizzard).

The main problem we have is that the DVD of the game is dual layered and most older dvd drives are running on older firmware that can't read it properly.

They've actually consolidated the installations into a single disc, so if you don't have WoW or Burning Crusade installed you can install from the LK disc and it will install everything up to 3.0.1 which is about time!

I actually haven't gotten a chance to play myself, I worked 6pm to 5am for the launch, went home, created a Death Knight, immediately passed out, and now I'm working 2pm to 1am. We've already been hearing that some European players have been hitting level 80.

Maybe I'll get to play after I work Friday, Saturday, Sunday.....the massive amounts of overtime is nice. and my collector's edition signed by the dev team is even nicer!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: Wrath of the Lich King launch!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 09:42:03 PM »
So did you sell your soul all at once to work for Blizzard or is it some kind of payment plan?

No offense  ;)

And obviously I won't be returning to WoW.  :P
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 10:10:38 PM »

Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 04:33:03 AM »
I've actually started to miss WoW - been over a year and I miss it.  :(
"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

Max Stone

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 12:52:08 AM »
I finally got to go to Northrend, we've been pulling 7 day a week, 10-12 hour shifts. I also got to finish the Death Knight starting zone which was a lot of fun.

Now to finish Fallout 3, Gears of War 2, Mirror's Edge, and those few other games I can't even think of now.

I can't wait until 2009 when I finally get a chance to play any of these.

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 04:09:44 PM »
I'm having a load of fun. The launch (EU here) went far, FAR smoother than TBC or even Vanilla.

Currently been leveling my druid like a madman- would've been server first Tauren + Horde druid, but partys and shit mean I'm gonna be around 3 hours behind the winner instead. *grumbles* Damn you, real life!

Apart from that, really enjoying Northrend. Was  fun being back on mounts for a while, but once I hit 77, I squealed with glee for getting ym flightform back- flying is good, but when you're a druid, you truly become addicted to it. Now, another 40% to 80 and I can go gank lowbie deathknights >:)

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 05:26:40 PM »
As well as someone making it to lvl 80 in 27 hours, a clan called TwentyFifthNovember has now claimed to have cleared every raid in the expansion.

All I can say is I'm glad my WoW days are over, though it was the backstabbing, laziness, attitude and lies from other players that got me in the end rather than the time sink involved.

lara

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 08:49:17 AM »
I  lost my ex- boyfriend to Burning Crusades, so Im glad the guy I'm dating now doesn't know what a Lich King is :P
I never understood why anyone would pay a monthly fee to play a computer game, when Guild Wars exists for just the cost of the original CD and is exactly teh same as WoW but prettier. It would really stress me out - every day that I didnt play would make me feel guilty for wasting money!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 09:25:04 AM »
I  lost my ex- boyfriend to Burning Crusades,

Eeeep. Sorry to hear that. =|
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 05:24:56 PM »
I  lost my ex- boyfriend to Burning Crusades, so Im glad the guy I'm dating now doesn't know what a Lich King is :P
My personal opinion is that if you lost someone to a game they were a douche in the first place, the game just sealed the deal. It's like blaming the inventor of beer for your spouse being an alcoholic.
I never understood why anyone would pay a monthly fee to play a computer game, when Guild Wars exists for just the cost of the original CD and is exactly teh same as WoW but prettier. It would really stress me out - every day that I didnt play would make me feel guilty for wasting money!
The way that guild wars works is vastly different (from an infrastructure standpoint): you're actually just on a matchmaking service that has everything broken into instances. You're not in the public world unless you're in a town, and even then you're broken into "districts" which are the equivalent of a variety of load-balanced instances, so essentially a visual chat room. It takes a LOT less money to maintain, because the servers don't hold nearly as much information, and don't do nearly as much on the server end with keeping synchronized with the client, and they don't have a huge staff of online guides and tech support available 24/7 in-game and by phone.

But I totally agree, every day I don't play I feel like I wasted that much money.

"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 06:45:38 PM »

Sorry about the boyfriend but if he was willing to give you up for WoW then he was a loser anyway.  :P

I do have to say that I don't agree with your take on wasting money. I look at an MMO monthly fee and it's about as much as going to see a movie once you factor in gas, popcorn, drink and such. Now I can go to that movie and be entertained (maybe) for about 2 hours or I can pay for this game which can keep me occupied for many hours if I want. So an MMO is actually cheaper entertainment than many other things. *shrug*
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

lara

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 08:18:55 PM »
lol i dont mean i lost him because of WoW - i mean i lost him as in he would play a lot but much later we broke up because of unrelated stuff  - its like when women say  'i'm a football widow' just for a season - not meaning 'my husband actually died' :)

I played WoW for a few weeks once on his buddy key, but i just didnt like the grind (kill 6 of this and 8 of that and 12 of the other) so i never got to level up to what i hear is the good part. Also - I'm interested to hear from experts - what's good about NOT being instanced? How is the fact that youre with other players all the time LESS like a visual chatroom than if you get to play on your own when you actually adventure?

I remeber being told to kill some rats but i had to run around longer cos other people kept getting to my rats first - it was like looking for parking when people keep nipping in and taking our spot!

Edit: I've heard the argument about how the fee is necessary for the awesome support etc before, but I have to say I dont get it. In Dec I'll have played Guild Wars for two years and I havent once ever needed support, online or otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:31:20 PM by lara »

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 08:33:37 PM »
lara, I have a 100% foolproof unstoppable argument for why I pay a monthly fee to play WoW:

I like WoW. 

That's pretty much it.
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 08:40:53 PM »
I like my previous post's brevity so I don't want to edit it, but I want to talk some more, so I'm going to reply to myself.  awwww yeah narcissism

Azjol-Nerub is like the shortest instance in the history of instances, but that's no big deal.  It's trippy as hell on my new box.  Last night I was listening to a bunch of my (drunk and high) guildmates run it, and apparently our GM is afraid of spiders.  He was tripping balls.  It was a pretty funny thing to listen to.

I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

lara

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 08:45:05 PM »