Author Topic: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned  (Read 116944 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:55:41 PM »
Ok, I'll start with Moira in the supply store at Megaton. You can do quests for her book and I've gotten some nice rewards from her for them. The rather funny one was a perk. She sends you out to get radiation sickness from 200 rads with the option of getting 600 rads. I did the 600 and returned to her. There is a very funny response when you turn in the quest btw. The unintended side effect of her curing you with her experimental cure is a perk that heals your limbs when you get rad sickness.  8)
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Re: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:01:51 PM »
How to Avoid Killing The Overseer.

Sneak past the office where the interrogation is taking place. Continue down the hallway to the office at the end. Go in and into the office on the left. Find the Overseer's Key, open his door and hack the computer.

However this is what happened to me.

I TRIED to hack the computer and I wasn't able to do so. So I ran into the interrogation room, opened the door, killed the guard. Walked in, and pickpocketed the access key from the overseer. Then I ran to every desk, cabinet and box taking everything I could find. Then I ran back to the computer and used the Overseer's key on the computer.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 11:04:02 PM »
*doesn't get his hands on the game til the 31st, bastards*

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 11:08:34 PM »
*doesn't get his hands on the game til the 31st, bastards*

You can play though us!

Our fun will sustain you!
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 12:23:16 AM »
Mmmm, second hand fun!  Tasty!

Silver Dragon

• Desert Nomad
  • Go rub two monkeys together and see what happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 12:51:14 AM »
How to Avoid Killing The Overseer.

Sneak past the office where the interrogation is taking place. Continue down the hallway to the office at the end. Go in and into the office on the left. Find the Overseer's Key, open his door and hack the computer.

However this is what happened to me.

I TRIED to hack the computer and I wasn't able to do so. So I ran into the interrogation room, opened the door, killed the guard. Walked in, and pickpocketed the access key from the overseer. Then I ran to every desk, cabinet and box taking everything I could find. Then I ran back to the computer and used the Overseer's key on the computer.

Actually I think you can find his password in one of the rooms in his quarters;  I sneaked by and made it to his quarters and locked myself out of the computer, so I searched through everything and found something that must've had his password because when I went back to try the computer again it worked. 

*addendum*  Okay, so I just reloaded a save from that section and I found the Overseer's Terminal Password in one of the lockers in his Office.
LISTER: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.  In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. NO TOAST.
TOASTER: How 'bout a muffin?
LISTER: OR muffins!  OR muffins!  We don't LIKE muffins 'round here!  We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and DEFINITELY no smegging flapjacks!
TOASTER: Aah, so you're a waffle man!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 02:48:21 AM »
Ok, I'll start with Moira in the supply store at Megaton. You can do quests for her book and I've gotten some nice rewards from her for them. The rather funny one was a perk. She sends you out to get radiation sickness from 200 rads with the option of getting 600 rads. I did the 600 and returned to her. There is a very funny response when you turn in the quest btw. The unintended side effect of her curing you with her experimental cure is a perk that heals your limbs when you get rad sickness.  8)

I'm doing Landmine research! Sounds like fun!

Silver Dragon

• Desert Nomad
  • Go rub two monkeys together and see what happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 10:01:43 AM »
Heheh, I just ran across an old faithful companion while wandering out in the wastes  :D
LISTER: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.  In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. NO TOAST.
TOASTER: How 'bout a muffin?
LISTER: OR muffins!  OR muffins!  We don't LIKE muffins 'round here!  We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and DEFINITELY no smegging flapjacks!
TOASTER: Aah, so you're a waffle man!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 10:44:02 AM »
There's some old favorites that we pretty much figured would be in there... but just confirming it...

Fought a Centaur, Molerats and that Mr Handy type robot with a human brain.

This game is... awesome. =)

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 11:49:29 AM »
I passed a speechcraft test and got an early copy!  Just finished installing it, a whopping 2 hours and 13 minutes before the release date (11 hours and 13 minutes before the store would open to sell the game on the day, and I'm buggered if I'm making a special trip into town (60km round trip, uphill both ways in the stinking hot, up to my armpits in snowdrifts) on my day off to play a game that I could play ALL day instead.)

So, uh...yay!

Also...has anybody else noticed the Data Files option on the menu, rather similar to Oblivion's method of loading in custom game content?  Promising sign.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 01:05:59 PM by Swash »

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »
Bottlecap mines are fucking incredible.  Save all your lunchboxes, cherry bombs, and sensor modules!

edit:  I also wanted to mention that the bloody mess perk makes some deaths a little ridiculous.  For example, if I kill a super mutant by shooting it in the head with a hunting rifle, I might expect its head to explode.  I would not expect all its limbs to simultaneously explode as well. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:31:51 PM by Thanatos »
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 10:27:47 PM »
Bottlecap mines are fucking incredible.  Save all your lunchboxes, cherry bombs, and sensor modules!

edit:  I also wanted to mention that the bloody mess perk makes some deaths a little ridiculous.  For example, if I kill a super mutant by shooting it in the head with a hunting rifle, I might expect its head to explode.  I would not expect all its limbs to simultaneously explode as well. 

Never liked that perk - kinda seemed a waste.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 10:34:33 PM »

I go the Munchkin route. What perks will give me the best (or nearly) best for my character.

More Skill points and experience bonus? Sure, I'll take gifted and educated.

Although, I will take some things that fall within my character. eg. A smooth talker will take something to give her a bonus to speeches.

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 10:39:54 PM »
This game is... awesome. =)

I have to say I agree. I LOVE wandering the wastelands, etc - it just feels so... alive (and properly post-nuclear "dead" at the same time, which is good). Easily the most immersive gameworld I've played to date.  

VATS is awesome also. Just a great addition, and, since the points regenerate fairly fast, essentially makes the game almost turn-based if you think about it.

So far, I've noticed that enemies stay at a nice level of difficulty.

Love the open ended feel. Love sneaking too.

The only two quibbles I have are combat-related:

1) people should notice gunshots in the next room (hello, Mr. Raider living in superdupermart - I just shot your friend four aisles away - think maybe you should consider checking that out?) To be fair, though, almost no game does this.

2) Can someone come in and remove the dead sheriff (and also the dead Mr. Burke) from the bar (is it reallythat hard to program it so bodies vanish after awhile?)

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 11:12:50 PM »

Well, in the older games it was a trait, and it was only a waste if there was a second trait you'd rather have, which sometimes wasn't the case.  I nearly always went Gifted/Finesse or Gifted/Bloody Mess; I just didn't like the trade-offs on the others.  In FO3 I never would have taken it if it was just the animation change, but it also has +5% to all weapon damage; that's money, sonny.

edit: also, Owl, sounds like you and I took the same path with Mr. Burke, only once I realized there was no way to save the Sheriff's life if I turned in Mr. Burke, I just reloaded and blew Mr. Burke away right after he asked me to blow the town.

edit edit:  So far, by far the most difficult enemy I have faced are the giant flamethrower ants.  Admittedly you can pop their antenna to make them attack other ants, but if no other ants are around, they still come after you.  Of course, one ant by itself isn't really that dangerous as long as you don't let them get close, but if you try to clean out the entire area I encountered them in one go, you start running out of bullets real fast (especially if you sell off most of your mines to clear up inventory space). 

Also, mines are incredible.  Did I say that already?  Oh, looks like the next room has a bunch of mutants in it, I'll just put mines EVERYWHERE, pop one, and run awaaaaaaaaaaay
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:18:07 PM by Thanatos »
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now