Author Topic: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned  (Read 117577 times)

Shard

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
Re: The official UV FO3 *SPOILERS* thread - you've been warned
« Reply #255 on: January 24, 2009, 12:58:32 AM »
Holy crap! Somehow I went through my entire first playthrough without ever encountering (or even being aware of the existence of) a Super Mutant Behemoth

I also, by coincidence, never found the Jury Street Station. I start exploring this wrecked train and jesus christ, two ( or maybe three) of these things just start wandering around the trains.

*laughs* What were they thinking putting these so close to Megaton? haha

Shard

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 24, 2009, 01:55:05 AM »
Ok, something is nagging me.

I was reading some guy talk about deathclaws when somebody asked what they used to be, and somebody said they were genetically engineered from jackson chameleons.

Now, I swear I remember reading somewhere in game in FO 1 or 2 about them being mutated from racoons.

However, the fallout wiki does not appear to agree with me. Ok, no problem, I'm wrong...but I still *strongly* remember there being some connection to racoons. Am I just completely crazy?  Is there any possible reference that I could have read that I just mixed up in my head overtime?

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 24, 2009, 02:13:09 AM »
"January, 2076 - Using batch 11-011, experiments are conducted on raccoons. Same results are noted, but the attempted escape of several infected raccoons causes Major Barnett to terminate the escape... and the test subjects. Two pairs of raccoons, however, are unaccounted for.

Note: Scott Campbell and Chris Taylor intended these escaped raccoons to form an intelligent animal community NW of the Glow called the "Burrows." This location was never implemented. "

maybe you read that before?
"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

Shard

• Desert Nomad
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 24, 2009, 02:32:13 AM »
AHA! There we go

Do you know when/where you read that or have a context for it?

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #259 on: January 24, 2009, 02:42:27 AM »
AHA! There we go

Do you know when/where you read that or have a context for it?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

Under 2076

I remember reading raccoons as well and then later I started seeing references to chameleons. I'm not sure if that's a ret-con or not.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 24, 2009, 05:04:46 AM »
Deathclaws are large, mutant versions of Jackson's Chameleons.  The ones on the East Coast in Shy-Town are hairy, a trait they evolved to cope with the colder temperatures.  I forget if the Deathclaws were a natural mutation or the result of a government experiment in the interest of using them as weapons.  The fact that they are so tough, adapt to their environment so quickly, have evolved much faster and to a near-human level of intelligence than their surrounding fellow mutants, (mole rats, ants, etc.), and that they are a creature seemingly designed for killing would indicate the former.
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2009, 09:14:19 PM »
Thanks for putting a link there Doombot, I thought I had done that in my own post. *nods*  yeah, that's where I found that little bit, Doug.   

speaking of deathclaws, I have yet to see one. looking forward to it though - I want to make a deathclaw gauntlet!

"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

Turjan

• Wasteland Denizen
  • You cannot kill a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2009, 02:03:26 AM »
speaking of deathclaws, I have yet to see one. looking forward to it though...
You might not be quite so keen once you see one - they're harder than rock.
In fact they're harder than The Rock going to a rock concert.
While dressed as a stick of rock.
In a Flintstones car. Made from rock.
Driven by Rock Hudson.
 :laugh:
Well okay, maybe they're not quite that rock hard, but they're certainly harder than old style Fallout Deathclaws, so be forewarned! :rifle:

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2009, 02:09:49 AM »
I'll be interested to see if they ever go to Chicago at a later date. Bethesda struck Fallout: Tactics as canon, but during a conversation with one of the Brotherhood scribes he mentions a BoS detachment that was sent to Chicago, but says they went "completely rogue" and simply states "don't ask".

So it seems that a Chicago BoS will be canon, (perhaps a hint at what we might see in Fallout 4?) but Bethesda will be doing it on their own terms for the future. That and I suspect it also serves as a bit of a dig at Tactics.

As to Deathclaws, not only are they rock hard, but they're lightning fast into the bargin. It doesn't happen very often but with the better criticals perk and the A3-21 Plasma rifle it can be possible to 1 shot them however.

Those ruddy sentry bots annoy me more mind. Shot one with the Fat Man out of pure annoyance once which was quite a sight, later swapping to nuka grenades.

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 26, 2009, 02:13:53 AM »

Well okay, maybe they're not quite that rock hard, but they're certainly harder than old style Fallout Deathclaws, so be forewarned! :rifle:

Mr. Deathclaw, say hello to Mr. Dart Gun. and then Mr. Bottlecap Mine.  :laugh:

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #265 on: January 26, 2009, 03:32:48 PM »
About the racoons- The Burrows was suppsoed to be an area in FO1 but was ditched fairly early. I had Tim Cain delve a bit into it during some e-mail conversations I had with him while working on the FMF.

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 26, 2009, 08:20:53 PM »
I never had any problem with deathclaws. Then again, I did avoid them as much as possible.
Hell, I was more freaked out in the Yao Guai Caves and the Dunwich Building more than anything else.
Gnnarr. :(
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 26, 2009, 09:33:58 PM »
Just a reminder for everyone that Operation Anchorage is out tomorrow (27th) for the PC & 360.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #268 on: January 26, 2009, 10:06:53 PM »
I never had any problem with deathclaws. Then again, I did avoid them as much as possible.
Hell, I was more freaked out in the Yao Guai Caves and the Dunwich Building more than anything else.
Gnnarr. :(

There's a bobblehead in a deathclaw nest (some sort of cave) so I had to battle many...many...MANY... MANY deathclaws.

That's ok. I had the Plasma rifle.

Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 26, 2009, 10:54:40 PM »
There's a bobblehead in a deathclaw nest (some sort of cave) so I had to battle many...many...MANY... MANY deathclaws.

You shouldn't have had to though. It's just inside the cave entrance.  :anxious:

I killed a ton of Deathclaws in some sewer system of a town on the NE side of the map (if I remember correctly). It's where I found the experimental power armor.

I haven't played FO3 in months now. I guess I should crank it up and start getting some DL content going. I saw that Fileplanet has a DL for it now.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney