Author Topic: So this story about some random McCain supporter  (Read 12283 times)

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
So this story about some random McCain supporter
« on: October 15, 2008, 04:54:39 PM »
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/10/06/mccain-obama-terrorist/

That was just the first link I found from a search. The left is all in a tizzy because of this sort of thing going on where some person at a McCain rally called out that Obama is a terrorist.

My question is this. Where has all this concern been with the groups that have been referring to Bush as a terrorist for years now? You people opened the door for this sort of thing and now you're all upset that some Republicans walked through it as well. I guess maybe you should have said something earlier if you were concerned, eh?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10767465/

http://www.codepinkalert.org/article.php/article.php?id=581

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/cindy-sheehan-chavez-great-bush-a-terrorist

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0224-04.htm

http://www.nogw.com/

http://tvnewslies.org/html/george_w__bush_-_world_s_leadi.html

Heh, it seems someone did a far better job at summing this up with far more examples than I gave. Except Malkin isn't pointing out instances of Bush being called a terrorist. She's pointing out the violence and hatred from the left that for the most part hasn't been covered by the MSM.

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/10/12/crush-the-obamedia-narrative-look-whos-gripped-by-insane-rage/

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/10/15/the-rage-thats-not-on-your-front-page/

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:19:42 PM by Brugdor »
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
Re: So this story about some random McCain supporter
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 06:19:35 PM »
I hate Malkin.

She seems like she has a really awesome point and then shoots herself in the foot by talking like a redneck. It goes from eloquent, rational dialogue to racial slurs in two words sometimes.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 07:14:25 PM »
I hate Malkin.

She seems like she has a really awesome point and then shoots herself in the foot by talking like a redneck. It goes from eloquent, rational dialogue to racial slurs in two words sometimes.

Eh? Racial slurs by her or by the left attacking her?

The reason I ask is because any Fark thread regarding her will have numerous racist remarks towards her. I don't recall her ever using one though.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 10:24:58 PM »

That was just the first link I found from a search. The left is all in a tizzy because of this sort of thing going on where some person at a McCain rally called out that Obama is a terrorist.

Actually, there's more to it than that.

Let us not forget the McCain supporter that called Obama an Arab and McCain didn't bother correcting him on two fronts:

1) Obama is not Muslim

2) Muslim does not equal Arab anyway. There are Islamic non-Arabs and there are non-Islamic Arabs.

And then there was the guy that called for Obama to be killed.

So it's not so much one isolated incident but a pattern that seems to pop up among the McCain/Palin contingent.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 11:20:41 PM »

Actually, there's more to it than that.

Let us not forget the McCain supporter that called Obama an Arab and McCain didn't bother correcting him on two fronts:

1) Obama is not Muslim

2) Muslim does not equal Arab anyway. There are Islamic non-Arabs and there are non-Islamic Arabs.

And then there was the guy that called for Obama to be killed.

So it's not so much one isolated incident but a pattern that seems to pop up among the McCain/Palin contingent.

I have to assume by "McCain/Palin contingent" that you mean Republicans. My response to that would be the many links Malkin provides are of Democrats engaging in the same type of behavior towards Bush, military recruiters and Republicans in general.

Now certainly McCain did have an opportunity to correct that one person as he did the other but in ignoring the statement and moving on he's done nothing different than any Democrat politician who has overlooked these incidents from members of their own party.

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 03:33:58 PM »
She went on a rant about "towelheaded throat-slitters" when talking about the middle east. Someone asked if she meant specifically people engaged in terrorism or the people as a whole and she said "the entire region is full of terrorists, so anyone with a towel on their head is probably a throat-slitter."

"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:30:30 PM »
She went on a rant about "towelheaded throat-slitters" when talking about the middle east. Someone asked if she meant specifically people engaged in terrorism or the people as a whole and she said "the entire region is full of terrorists, so anyone with a towel on their head is probably a throat-slitter."

You sure that wasn't Ann Coulter? Sounds more like something she would say.

Edit - had to go back a bit for this one but here is Malkin reacting to Coulter's use of some bigoted terms at the CPAC conference back in 2006

Link

Ann says many deliberately provocative things. This one was spectacularly ill-chosen and ill-timed. I want the young conservatives who attended CPAC–particularly young conservative Muslims–to know that not everyone uses that kind of epithet.

I don’t. Not in public. Not at home. I have no ill will towards peaceful people who happen to cover their heads for their faith.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:44:29 PM by Brugdor »

Nighthavok

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »

My question is this. Where has all this concern been with the groups that have been referring to Bush as a terrorist for years now? You people opened the door for this sort of thing and now you're all upset that some Republicans walked through it as well. I guess maybe you should have said something earlier if you were concerned, eh?

If I'm not mistaken, the "terrorist" remarks are being shouted only because Palin "linked" Obama to Bill Ayers in her stump speeches.  That's guilt by association, but even then, there's not much of an association.  President Bush however, invaded two countries, deposed and killed a foreign dictator under the guise of baseless claims. 

Also, as I understand it, it was the media that picked up this ball and ran with it, not the Obama camp.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 08:52:28 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, the "terrorist" remarks are being shouted only because Palin "linked" Obama to Bill Ayers in her stump speeches.  That's guilt by association, but even then, there's not much of an association.  President Bush however, invaded two countries, deposed and killed a foreign dictator under the guise of baseless claims. 

Also, as I understand it, it was the media that picked up this ball and ran with it, not the Obama camp.

Couple of things -

Obama has been linked to Ayers before McCain and Palin ever mentioned it. Hillary mentioned it as well when she was running against Obama. CNN just ran a story on his connection to Ayers and while it didn't prove they were best friends it pointed out that Obama has lied about certain ties he has to Ayers.

The Democrats have come out swinging about the Ayers story now. Funny how they didn't do so when one of their own was pointing it out, eh? Anyway they are sending their race card players out to try and turn it into a racial thing now.

Nighthavok

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 10:08:21 PM »

Couple of things -

Obama has been linked to Ayers before McCain and Palin ever mentioned it. Hillary mentioned it as well when she was running against Obama. CNN just ran a story on his connection to Ayers and while it didn't prove they were best friends it pointed out that Obama has lied about certain ties he has to Ayers.

The Democrats have come out swinging about the Ayers story now. Funny how they didn't do so when one of their own was pointing it out, eh? Anyway they are sending their race card players out to try and turn it into a racial thing now.

Keep in mind that it's not only "terrorist" that was shouted, but "Kill him" and "Bomb Obama" as Hoopy alluded to earlier.  Now, of course, you can say that the left is going bonkers because Obama's black and they're turning it into a race issue.  They (the right) can't outright say "don't trust him."  So let's build a case of reasonable doubt and have ourselves a nice character assassination.  As if saying "Barack Hussein Obama" isn't for any other reason than to just say his full name.  :surprised: 

It's appealing to the basest of McCain's base.

Although it will be interesting to see what develops in the next few days. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:51:32 PM by Nighthavok »

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 07:09:21 PM »

Couple of things -

Keep in mind that it's not only "terrorist" that was shouted, but "Kill him" and "Bomb Obama" as Hoopy alluded to earlier.  Now, of course, you can say that the left is going bonkers because Obama's black and they're turning it into a race issue.  They (the right) can't outright say "don't trust him."  So let's build a case of reasonable doubt and have ourselves a nice character assassination.  As if saying "Barack Hussein Obama" isn't for any other reason than to just say his full name.  :surprised: 

You mean like the case of reasonable doubt that the left created over Bush's military records? My point being that the left has done all of this before too. They've carried signs like the one linked on Malkin's page that depicts Bush's severed head. The loonies exist on both sides of the fence but now I'm supposed to be concerned for Obama because people on the right are acting out in the same way that the left has been for the last 8 years? Umm no. I'm not fearful or upset over it and I refuse to be.

Nighthavok

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 01:51:33 AM »

Couple of things -

You mean like the case of reasonable doubt that the left created over Bush's military records? My point being that the left has done all of this before too. They've carried signs like the one linked on Malkin's page that depicts Bush's severed head. The loonies exist on both sides of the fence but now I'm supposed to be concerned for Obama because people on the right are acting out in the same way that the left has been for the last 8 years? Umm no. I'm not fearful or upset over it and I refuse to be.

...  No one asked you to be fearful or upset.

Yes, both parties have their fair share of lunatics.  Yes, both parties have unscrupulous friends in and out of the limelight.  Yes, it's common knowledge that every single human being on the planet lies.

But whether you like it or not, the sensitivity towards a black candidate of such stature and historical prominence is taken into account.  That's just how it is. 

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 02:55:30 PM »
But whether you like it or not, the sensitivity towards a black candidate of such stature and historical prominence is taken into account.  That's just how it is. 

And the fact that no one was referring to Bush as an Arab or Islamic.

People were calling Bush a terrorist due to his actions. It's an opinion formed out of what he had done.

People are calling Obama a terrorist because he's Arab (not true) and/or Islamic (not true). There is a difference here that Brugdor seems to be missing or ignoring.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 03:07:36 PM »
People are calling Obama a terrorist because he's Arab (not true) and/or Islamic (not true). There is a difference here that Brugdor seems to be missing or ignoring.

I started this thread to show the hypocrisy of the left in getting all upset about this happening to Obama when it's been happening to Bush for all this time. What difference does the motivation make when both groups of unhinged supporters wish death on the politician?

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 04:23:15 PM »
I started this thread to show the hypocrisy of the left in getting all upset about this happening to Obama when it's been happening to Bush for all this time. What difference does the motivation make when both groups of unhinged supporters wish death on the politician?

I'll give you a difference:

President Bush is not in a contested race. President Bush has the power of the White House Press corps and the entire executive branch behind him. He's president. It comes with the freaking job. Every president can expect to (and frequently does) encounter this. And the issues are taken very seriously by the Secret Service. It is inexcusable, but it's not unexpectable.

Obama was the first presidential candidate ever to receive Secret Service protection. McCain's campaign has encouraged the "Obama as a terrorist label" multiple times. (E.g. Palin's repeated mention of Ayers' connection to Obama, which while noteworthy, is hardly damning. Besides, he's a "washed up terrorist" according to the McCain camp, yet they have a hard-on for bringing the guy up in speeches.) McCain downplays the ignorance in his own supporters.

I believe Colin Powell put it best in his mention that even if Obama was Muslim, so the fuck what?

So yeah, the difference is McCain should be coming out much stronger against this than he is, rather than implicitly condoning it through the actions of his veep.