Author Topic: I think my ever-tenuous grip on sanity is slipping again  (Read 4103 times)

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
I think my ever-tenuous grip on sanity is slipping again
« on: August 26, 2008, 06:36:25 AM »
I seem to have gone a bit silly.  After 14 years working at a desk and spending my spare time in front of a computer or the telly, I have gone and bought a bicycle and joined a martial arts class.

I'm 33 years old, covered in bruises, aches, pains and (frequently) lathered in sweat... And I've never felt better!

It's like my body is saying "This is what I was built for.  Forget about that damn computer.  MOVE!"

I'm scared.

I have led a mostly sedentary life and up until a couple of years ago I had the same body I've had since high school:  generally weak, not exactly fit, but thin as a rake and mostly healthy.  Then I hit 30 and the weight started piling on.  So I'm making an effort (for the first time in my life) to actually lose weight.  And after only a month or two it seems to be working somewhat.  Again, scary.

I was never any good at sports or athletics as a kid, so I turned to more academic pursuits.  Invariably, any time I tried to make physical improvements, my body just ignored me.  Even when I was going to the gym every other day, I couldn't build strength or fitness.  It all seemed like such a waste of time so I stopped trying.

But now, for some reason, my body has decided to come to the party... When I stretch, I get more flexible.  When I work out, I get more fit.  When I move, I lose weight.  This goes against everything I have learnt about myself over the last 3 decades, and frankly, it's freaking me out.
You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Re: I think my ever-tenuous grip on sanity is slipping again
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:25:01 AM »
This may be hard to convey to some people but there's something awesome about being hit (in this context).

I kinda like looking at a big bruise on my shoulder and remembering the sparing session.

We call them trophies. =)
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

MrWeasel

• Wasteland Denizen
  • God of nekid volleyball and serving wenches
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 02:58:41 PM »
Just remember the 4 food groups and you be all set quickly like

caffene
nicotene
sugar
preservatives

don't believe none o that crap bout vitamins
You May Soar with the eagles but Weasels do not get sucked into ramjets! Gotta watch out for the hovercrafts though...

Killmod

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 04:40:39 AM »
Kind of surprised it didn't hit you in high school. I was pretty much the same was as you until I became a freshman in Highschool when I pushed myself to become more athletic (and get the ladies of course  ;)). Now, although it can be stressful and mentally exhausting, I feel better than I ever had in my life and will probably continue for most of my life.  ;D

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 04:04:35 PM »
Yeah I had the same issue. I was in athletics in high school (which in Texas means football) so I got used to the abuse, but music school meant I was either in front of a computer or a piano for 98% of my day, so I gained weight fast.

Now that I've graduated I spend most of my time trying to make money (in front of a computer) and do a lot of running to lose the weight I gain while getting money.

The balance is slowly shifting towards favorable.

But yeah! Keep it up Wease! Plaguemeister!

/edit

Realized that it might look like I meant MrWeasel, so I changed that.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:40:08 PM by Solwyn »
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Tink

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Coffee Wench
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:15:38 PM »
There is a flip side to that. I've always been athletic, and now that 50 is closer than 40, I'm feeling it. My snowboard that I loved so much 2 yrs. ago, got passed to my daughter last winter due to a bad knee. I've got 2 herniated disks in my neck , tennis elbow, strained torpesius muscle and on top of all that lovely stuff, today I found out I've got skin cancer from too many years of working in the sun. So much for keeping fit. *shrugs* I enjoy my work though, so thats enough for me. Now I have to cross the boarder and come back as an illegal to get some help with medical coverage. :laugh:

Seriously though, can we have pics?  ;D I still have my evil moments. :P
No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationary.

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 02:51:35 AM »
Just remember the 4 food groups and you be all set quickly like

caffene
nicotene
sugar
preservatives

don't believe none o that crap bout vitamins

I never really got into coffee, and I haven't had a cigarette for almost a year and a half now.  The missus likes cooking with fresh ingredients so that limits my preservative intake.  Which only leaves sugar... Actually, it's probably best not to go into that.  I do like my sugar.
You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot