Author Topic: Need help on breaking a lease  (Read 2395 times)

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
Need help on breaking a lease
« on: June 25, 2008, 03:53:05 PM »
So good news and bad. I got a new job, which pays far more than the old one did. And I want to move to an apartment that is like ten minutes from work.

As luck would have it, i signed a one year lease that is about halfway through. But here's the kicker, our A/C unit leaked condensation while we were asleep and caused the carpet and wall to become wet and moldy, so we called our landlord. They sent out a maintenance guy who (I shit you not) sprayed Tilex on everything and left.

Then they called in the carpet cleaners, who took moisture samples and said they couldn't do anything. They claimed the floor was probably rotted through and the wall needed to be cut. Then the maintenance guy came back and claimed it was no big deal.

This was Friday. I called the landlord asking them to do something about it, and they said the maintenance guy wanted to "wait the weekend for it to dry out."

At this point, it's Wednesday and no one has come back out, and there's still mold in my closet and on the floor and wall. Do you think I have a case to break the lease for health reasons?

I did some research and it looks like there are no federal standards for mold, but our state (Texas) has a process where we can contact the county health department and they can do an inspection and then send a notice of violation to the property owner for allowing unlivable conditions. I'm trying to be as peacable and nice as possible with our landlords but I think the claws need to come out for us to get out of dodge. Our neighbor (we live in a 4plex) had the same problem, and is doing the same thing, so I think we have a case if it comes to that.

Any tips, advice?
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: Need help on breaking a lease
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 04:04:10 PM »
Grats on the job!

As far as the apartment goes I can only advise  that you document everything. Make sure to take pictures of the mold too. That way you'll have proof when you do find whoever you need to go to about this.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 04:22:48 PM »
Grats on the job!

As far as the apartment goes I can only advise  that you document everything. Make sure to take pictures of the mold too. That way you'll have proof when you do find whoever you need to go to about this.

The carpet guys who assessed that the place was falling apart gave us their card, so we have at least one expert witness if it comes to that.

This unit needs a lot of work, so I'm hoping they'll see it as a wash. I leave, they get to fix the place up without worrying about us being there. Our downstairs neighbors both had the same problem, and our next-door neighbor has similar but not exactly the same problems.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 08:15:05 PM »
Get a doctor's note saying you have to move for health reasons? However, I heard that mold testing is in that quasi ambitious state right now. eg. Yeah... there's mold but we're not sure if it's in concentrations enough that will harm you.

What about contacting your local legal aid office and see what they have to offer?
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:10:17 AM »
Set it on fire.

What? 'Helpful'? Oh, okay, then :T

Well, I would suggest just throwing guilt to the wind and calling the health department. Mouldy carpet is not a "oh, lets put that on the back burner while I level my alts, shall we?" thing, nor is a cockroach infestation. Grab the 2-bah-4 and give everyone a good whacking.
I am asthmatic and so mould would not be tolerated. Ever. >.>
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 05:18:26 AM »
If it were up to me I'd light the damn place up and run away.

But the "responsible" thing is to go ahead and find some way to work this out.

On the plus side, we found some pretty sweet stuff near my new job, so I'm psyched about moving.