Author Topic: What would happen if you stay awake, say, oh for 11 days straight?  (Read 2646 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
What would happen if you stay awake, say, oh for 11 days straight?

I stayed awake for 3 1/2 days once. When I came back home (from vacation) I was tired but I couldn't sleep. I kept hearing my phone ring. I looked at it and nobody was calling me. No incoming call on the screen or anything but it kept ringing. Off and on I would hit the accept icon but nobody was there. I even held it and 'heard' the ringing. Then the ringing starting coming from different parts of the apartment.

Freaky.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
Re: What would happen if you stay awake, say, oh for 11 days straight?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 10:31:09 PM »
I think death would be the order of the day.
If you start hallucinating on the 2nd-3rd day, then I think by the 9th or 10th, you'd be so lost, you'd either forget to eat, drown from drinking water, or walk into traffic, fall down stairs, etc. You know, given a normal lifestyle and not in a controlled experimental environment.
But, then again, insomniacs manage somehow. So I'd say: depends on what stupid thing you do while awake.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 10:33:22 PM by The SysMan »
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 10:34:14 PM »
But, then again, insomniacs manage somehow.

As long as we keep the bodies hidden we are fine.  :anxious:
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 03:34:50 PM »
I had insomnia in high school. I went about seven days one summer, but according to my doctor I must have been dozing off for periods and not realizing it because I wasn't suffering from the normal effects of insomnia until the fifth day (hallucinations, etc). I wasn't in a clinical enviornment so people weren't monitoring me or anything. They wouldn't give me anything to sleep, they said I was just "going through a phase."
Unfortunately it lasted three more years after that, but it went away.
The hallucinations are strange, I've never taken anything to induce them so I don't know if they're any different when they're produced by the body but they were remarkably convincing. I saw my dead uncle playing the guitar on a couch and chatted with him for a few hours until my mom came upstairs and saw me talking to myself.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Wraith

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 09:17:05 PM »
When I was in middle school (like about 12 or 13 I think -memory on exact dates isn't so good), my best friend at the time invited me to go with he and his grandfather, who were going to go to the Wisconsin Dells for a week.  The Dells is basically one huge resort-town area -lots of expensive tourist crap, shows, water parks, go-karts, blah blah blah.

Anyway, at that age (and not being responsible for any of the substantial costs), it was a lot of fun.  So much in fact that my friend Jeff and I didn't sleep the entire time, which in total meant we were awake from the time we got up at about 08:00 on Friday morning until we got back the following Saturday evening (at about 18:00), but I ate dinner with my parents before actually going to sleep at sometime around 20:00.  All told, that's about 8-1/2 days, or about 204 hours.

During the time we were awake, starting on around the 3rd or 4th day, we did have some minor hallucinations.  Most of them were auditory (hearing odd noises that weren't possibly real, but seemed real enough at the time), but there were some visual ones and a few brief periods of completely inexplicable dementia and paranoia as well.  None of them lasted very long, though they did get a bit more frequent and persistent toward the end of the week.

Once I did fall asleep, I slept very soundly, and did not recall any dreams.  I woke up around 4 pm (16:00) the next day, so I slept about 20 hours straight, which is an insane amount for me, since normally I only sleep about 3 hours per 24 on average.  Other than the uncharacteristically long sleep period itself though, I felt absolutely fine and alert.

One other time a (different) friend and I stayed up about 5 days during a marathon on-on-one table-top RPG session, but that's the closest I've ever come to doing that again.  These days, I've occasionally been awake for about 3 days at a time before I finally knock off for about 6 - 10, but any more than that I just don't have the stamina for, or there's simply not enough going on to keep me sufficiently interested in staying awake over getting some sleep by that point.

I don't know how long it would take to actually kill a person, or do them permanent harm via sleep deprivation alone, but I would expect it would likely be at least two weeks, if not perhaps significantly longer.  Also, by that time, I would suspect that the increasingly drastic measures which would ultimately be required to avoid having the person simply pass out from total exhaustion would probably end up doing more damage than the loss of sleep itself.  I don't know specifics, but I know some cultures across history have toyed around with sleep deprivation as a means of torture / interrogation, and most of those which I've heard anything about involved various methods of inflicting fairly significant amounts of pain to keep the subject awake.

It's interesting stuff, but I think I'm too old nowadays to run out and volunteer to try to break any records.  Best leave it to the young.  ;)

-Wraith

Starseeker

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Unwashed Doc, Back from Alpha Centuri
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 10:46:17 PM »
Sleep death is not unheard of in Japan.  They had more than a few cases of people dozing off on bullet trains and NEVER wake up again. 
Starseeker, signing off.

Life is short, Fall in Love, Maiden.