Author Topic: Triathlons  (Read 2253 times)

karategoldfish

• Wasteland Denizen
  • uv mac enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • http://karategoldfish.livejournal.com
Triathlons
« on: June 15, 2009, 04:21:31 AM »
I'm starting to train for my first triathlon, and I'm wondering whether any of you have had any experience with them. I just bought a road bike and I am learning to swim (for the first time since 8th grade), so I am a bit nervous! The event is a sprint triathlon in Indianapolis in August - 10 mile bike ride, 500 meter swim, 3 mile run. Do you guys have any advice? Links to training websites? Personal experiences?
love, fish

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Triathlons
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 05:51:06 AM »
Good for you, I've always wanted to try one.  I think I've learned I hate running though. lol

"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:02:59 AM »
I'm starting to train for my first triathlon, and I'm wondering whether any of you have had any experience with them. I just bought a road bike and I am learning to swim (for the first time since 8th grade), so I am a bit nervous! The event is a sprint triathlon in Indianapolis in August - 10 mile bike ride, 500 meter swim, 3 mile run. Do you guys have any advice? Links to training websites? Personal experiences?

Well... I had a 5 hour Krav Maga test where I had to run, throw the medicine ball, do squats, run some more, fight, run, do crunches, and run so more.

I'm trying to remember what I did to prepare. I kept a lot of Gatorade with me. Powerbars were suggested. They gave me the energy without being so heavy that I threw up. So hydrate yourself.

Sorry... I wish I could remember more.

Oh yes. Hydrating yourself. You want to drink LOTS of water for the week prior to the event. I think at least 2 liters is fine. Gatorade on the day of the event if you like. Powerbars... make sure they're something with grains so the energy will last longer. Oatmeal or "good" cereal was suggested as a good breakfast choice.

Hope this helps.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Tank

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Rawr. Hear the kitty roar!
    • View Profile
    • The Hub
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:16:16 PM »
Load up on bananas or other potassium-filled snacks a week or two prior. When yous tress your muscles like that, you'll risk running low on the natrium/potassium levels around your muscles, resulting in cramps.

And if you hate bananas, like me 9after eating 4 a day for six months while doing competitive swimming), throw toe in a blender with a cup of strawberries and two cups milk, couple icecubes and blend it. Nomnomnom!

Solwyn: Sorry to anyone here with a business degree, but I don't trust or like any of you.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 02:04:15 AM »
i used to swim competitively. my advice about that, KICK.

it's been years, but most of your stoke is in how far your feel propel you. strait legs will help you make a killing there. most non-swimmers will underestimate the use of a strait leg.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?