Author Topic: Out for a week  (Read 3519 times)

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
Out for a week
« on: June 19, 2008, 05:54:27 PM »
Going to the Outer Banks in NC for a week with my family (4 groups in all - my wife and I; my brother, his wife, and their two kids; my sister, her husband, and their two kids; and my mom and her husband.) We're renting a sick beach house with 5 floors, ten bedrooms, a sports bar (mine!), an elevator, etc etc etc. Right on the beach - am verymuch looking forward to sitting on the beach with a bourbon and a cigar while watching the waves roll in. Got a brand new bottle of Knob Creek and six choice stogies from the cigar shop. I'm all set.

This should be interesting, because my brother's kids are really young (three and two), and are *always* underfoot (they are also in the "very noisy and annoying" stage of life). There will be places off-limits to them (like MY bar, already named "Owl Tavern"), but still... I might have a few more gray hairs from all the screaming. I'll bring duct tape. My sister's kids are older (6 and 8 ), and very well behaved, so they are no trouble at all.

So anyway, that'll be my week. I'll think of all of you as I'm on the beach (even you, BC!)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:08:58 PM by Night Owl »

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: Out for a week
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 05:58:37 PM »
Travel safely and have fun!
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 06:55:06 PM »
That sounds like one of the (if not THE) best vacations of all time.

Although I'd replace the stogies with some Old Toby and the Knob Creek with some Glenmorangie.

Have a good time, and beware the mighty sun.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 07:06:44 PM »
I've never tried a pipe - I'm guessing I would like it a lot.

I do like Scotch too - I will pick up some down there (scotch may actually be a better oceanside drink)  I think a walk into town is necessary upon arrival. I'm also bringing 2 cases of beer (I'm picky, and I want MY favorites.)

That sounds like one of the (if not THE) best vacations of all time.

Yea, I'm REALLY looking forward to this trip - we all get along great, and love hanging out together. This is our first time doing something like this, so it's exciting. We'll be mainly staying around the house, beach, gameroom, theater (oh, the house has a theater - I'm in charge of DVD's - bringing like 40 of em) - we'll cook "in" most nights (bbq, etc) - there's a pool and jacuzzi... man, this is gonna be fun!!!

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:16:57 PM »
I've never tried a pipe - I'm guessing I would like it a lot.

I smoked a pipe for a few years back in the day. There are a ton of tobaccos to fit just about everyone's palette. I've always enjoyed the smell of pipe tobacco and still have my old stash boxed up because it's fun to pull out every once and a while to smell it (not smoke it).
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 08:49:29 PM »
Have lots of fun!

Sounds like a nice vacation. =) Enjoy yourself!
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Starseeker

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Unwashed Doc, Back from Alpha Centuri
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 03:54:03 AM »
I have a pipe, but sometimes I am just too lazy to stuff it and light it.  It can also be a b#$ch to maintain, since I have already ruined one of my good pipe by accidental washing.

If you can't get Cubans, some of the top brands like Cohiba has productions else where that are sold in the US.
Starseeker, signing off.

Life is short, Fall in Love, Maiden.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 05:15:05 AM »
I'll think of all of you as I'm on the beach (even you, BC!)

as long as you arent imagining us all in skimpy swimsuits i'm sure you'll have a great time.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Desolo

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 05:18:38 AM »
I'll be damned..... Well, Enjoy the outer banks,  :laugh: They wont be around forever..... To much damn erosion and what not, and alot of people just make it worse by dumping sand bags and want to make hard points that'll trash even more.

And if your lucky you wont get to bothered by the snooty in-town jerks that populate the area so nicely. :worried:
Back from the Wastes after far, far to long....

To those who remember such things, Was once Known as "Darkness Flame" (A looooong time ago)