Author Topic: we need a new game thread - what games have you been playing lately??  (Read 18755 times)

Carib

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Light Fighter!
    • View Profile
Re: we need a new game thread - what games have you been playing lately??
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2007, 10:26:42 PM »
I know... this is a real blast from the past.. but I was playing Fallout 2 and Diablo II and a Bit of StarCraft. Classics never die!

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2007, 01:07:33 AM »
I don't want to buy any more games for PS2, so I need to decide if I'll get a 360 or a PS3. Any suggestions? Anyone? I'm not planning to move to Blu-ray anytime soon, so that doesn't matter as a feature.

I would say 360. It beats the PS3 in performance (though, loses in graphics). It also is hundreds of dollars cheaper for the equivalent level of system.

And Sony lost most of it's exclusive franchises and premiers with PS3, so that doesn't really matter anymore. However, I don't currently own either, so I'm not as in tune with the modern consoles as someone like Petrarch might be.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2007, 01:03:52 AM »
Hmmm, the only servers I see are Vivaldi, Caravaggio, Pachelbel, Cervantes, and Carracci.  Weird!
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Night Owl

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • Unwashed Film Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2007, 02:31:11 AM »
so I need to decide if I'll get a 360 or a PS3. Any suggestions?

360. Not close, imho.

Pipboy 2000

• Administrator of Things/Thongs
  • Administrator
  • Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2007, 04:20:26 AM »
WoW, Diablo 2, and Wii games
Pipboy2000
Postmaster General, Unwashed Civil Defense Force

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2007, 06:44:18 PM »
I don't want to buy any more games for PS2, so I need to decide if I'll get a 360 or a PS3. Any suggestions? Anyone? I'm not planning to move to Blu-ray anytime soon, so that doesn't matter as a feature.

I would say 360. It beats the PS3 in performance (though, loses in graphics). It also is hundreds of dollars cheaper for the equivalent level of system.

And Sony lost most of it's exclusive franchises and premiers with PS3, so that doesn't really matter anymore. However, I don't currently own either, so I'm not as in tune with the modern consoles as someone like Petrarch might be.

The relatively short version as I see it:

The Wii has potential and is currently top of the sales pie, but for the age of it the games available are rather lacking and it could do with expanding. I kinda feel it's still got that very kiddy console image stuck to it as well. It doesn't do as much as the other 2, but instead aims for the fun factor.

The PS3, well, the high price tag is what you see first and foremost there. I sort of get the impression that Sony have taken the line of "It's a Playstation, of course people will buy it" and it's backfired as their arrogance in press releases in the year or so before they launched is near legendary. As Hoopy pointed out as well, they've lost a lot of the exclusives this time around. It's not a bad console but it seriously needs a price cut and some games pushed out the door for it.

The 360 has the largest games catalogue right now compared to the others and it's got a number of its big guns just around the corner for release with more to follow in 2008. There have been the widespread reports of the hardware issues with it, though everyone gets a 3 year warranty from MS now and the Elite black version seems to have corrected some issues.

In conclusion, I'd second Hoopy for the 360. To my eyes, it's the best bang for your buck with the most choice.

datamies

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2007, 08:01:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

It seems like I'll be buying a 360 as suggested. It might not happen until spring when the European version of Rock Band gets out though. I'll be hopefully entertained by BF2 and FFOW until then...