Author Topic: The first five minutes of Alien versus Predator: Requiem  (Read 9809 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Re: The first five minutes of Alien versus Predator: Requiem
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2007, 07:16:55 AM »
Kids are overrated.  :-X

I have no real feelings either way about kids dying in movies - to purposely avoid it is as bad as including it for the heck of it. But if it's reasonably within the plot for kids to die, then what's the problem?

Perhaps only the bad kids should die like the kids who don't listen to their parents or refuse to eat their vegetables. Kids who say please and thank you survive. This would help parents everywhere.

"Stevie... Don't scream in church... you don't want to end up like that kid in Saw 6"
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Loveshack

• Unwashed Journeyman
  • "I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20..."
    • View Profile
Re: The first five minutes of Alien versus Predator: Requiem
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2007, 02:51:24 PM »
Saw the movie, and while it was better (read: leaps and bounds beyond) than the first one, it wasn't nearly as good as installments in either individual series. 

SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::
Indeed a kid does die on screen, very quickly and with minimal gore and without showing his face during said chest bursting, so all in all it wasn't nearly as horrifying as I was expecting.

Then the movie takes a turn for the TRULY tasteful by having the Predalien use a hospital's maternity ward as a snack bar.  It's not actually shown, but it's implied.  (Closeup of bassinets full of sleeping newborns, slowly pans up to closeup of drooling Predalien.  Moments later, all the babies are missing.)  :o

And lastly, in a scene that seems to imply that the writers realized they painted themselves into a corner by having their star alien be unable to lay eggs and only a limited number of facehuggers surviving from the initial shipwreck, the Predalien has a specialized method of reproduction wherein it finds pregnant women and vomits multiple embryos down their throats.  Said embryos eat the pregnant women's fetuses and burst en mass from their bellies.  In one particularly unnecessary scene you see a writhing mass of chestbursters amid an assortment of vaguely recognizable baby parts.  You know, because the audience really needs to know what that looks like. :P

SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::SPOILERS::

All in all an okay film, but certainly not on my A-list.  While it seems that the design team learned from their mistakes in the last film, meaning that the predators aren't built like pro wrestlers and all of the aliens aren't eleven feet tall and the human characters aren't all obvious cannon fodder, (which makes for some genuine "Wow, I thought they were going to make it to the end!" moments), the movie relied too much on shock and schlock but not enough on action or story, though it has its moments.

Then they nuke the city at the very end killing everyone including the Predalien and Predator, who are locked in mortal combat and have simultaneously mortally wounded each other at the time.  Meaning every life or death battle you've witnessed for the last two hours was completely irrelevant to the story since everyone still dies.  Meaning it was just a matter of whether or not they died a horrible painful death by one of the many ways a person could expect to die at the hands of a Yautja or Xenomorph, or whether or not they died a horrible painless death by, well, nuclear explosion.

Also, in continuing the tradition of bastardizing the source material, the 10-seconds-after-host-regains-consciousness embryo births remain intact.  So instead of following the original movie, where John Hurt had a facehugger clamped to his face for several hours, remained unconscious for several hours after that, and appeared fine for several hours and then give birth to that thing over the course of about a minute and a half; the new alien life cycle goes like this: 

::Host wakes up::
Host: "Hey, what happened?"
::crunch/splat/dead::
SCREEEEEECH!!!

I demand consistency in the life cycles of my horror movie creatures.  This is worse than when Pinhead just started randomly making cenobytes, that's not his job!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 03:08:24 PM by Loveshack »
"Nice try Horrigan!  Now... TASTE THE FURY OF VIC'S PIPE RIFLE!"