Author Topic: Why You Can’t Travel Back in Time and Kill Hitler  (Read 2269 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Why You Can’t Travel Back in Time and Kill Hitler
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:13:16 PM »
As the article mentions there, the entire timeline of the Red Alert series came about due to Hitler being erased from history. Without him rising to power, Germany joined the Allies but it turned out he was what kept Stalin in check. Without him, the Soviets didn't join the Allies and instead went to war with them.

However Red Alert 3 undoes this again by Einstein being ereased from history. He was gone, Hilter was still gone, but the Allied/Soviet war still happened, albeit differently and the Japanese became another super power.

Reading that back, it wouldn't look out of place as the plot for an episode of Doctor Who.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:17:10 PM by Petrarch »

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 10:30:15 PM »
There's a TV tropes section that deals with that.

Removing Hitler is impossible or bad.

Either someone worse comes along, humanity never learns the lessons of hatred and repeats it later to a larger degree, it's unavoidable (your gun will jam when you shoot teenage Hitler), or by some cruel twist of fate... you going back is what caused Hitler to become ruler of Germany.

Hitlers Time Travel Exemption Act
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:22:41 PM »
Time travel is impossible.
Either time is immutable, or time travel is actually alternate dimension travel.
<.<
>.>
I'll be quiet now -.-
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 03:50:30 PM »
Time travel is impossible.
Either time is immutable, or time travel is actually alternate dimension travel.
<.<
>.>
I'll be quiet now -.-

Don't bring science into this room, we're talking about Hitler in here.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."