Author Topic: Todo list for the new forum  (Read 16617 times)

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
Todo list for the new forum
« on: August 06, 2007, 11:38:29 PM »
Here is a list of things that I can think of we need to do in order to be fully running on the new board:

- Add Spoiler tag functionality
- Other (please suggest)

Already taken care of:

- Have all admins create accounts
- Make said accounts administrators / moderators
- Find a few skins that will cover most people's tastes.
- Force everyone to use the skin I like the most, because I'm a bastard
- Add smileys
- Revisit "Newbie - Hero Member" system (To be revisited if old post come back)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:15:35 PM by Chucara »

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
Re: Todo list for the new forum
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 05:41:26 PM »
I just thought of something...

I'm not a skinner (one who makes skins) but I'm great Photoshopper. Let me know if you need any Photoshop type art done. eg. Smilies, Icons, Bush/Hitler/Ape hybrids.

Thanks! =)
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 06:41:22 PM »
You just have to get the booze from the distillery in Klamath, and you'll get the perk.

I have several foul attempts at making a logo for the village over the past few years, but none were quite up to standard. If you could make one, it would be grand. Otherwise, I'm sure we could use help with changing this board.. But Solwyn is on hold for the moment. (I'll get back to you after the weekend Solwyn)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 11:38:19 PM »
You just have to get the booze from the distillery in Klamath, and you'll get the perk.

I have several foul attempts at making a logo for the village over the past few years, but none were quite up to standard. If you could make one, it would be grand. Otherwise, I'm sure we could use help with changing this board.. But Solwyn is on hold for the moment. (I'll get back to you after the weekend Solwyn)

Just let me know the size, what you want it to say and anything else.

We could also take a vote and I could make a few logos made on the feedback.
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 11:41:33 PM »
Just let me know the size, what you want it to say and anything else.

We could also take a vote and I could make a few logos made on the feedback.

That's a good idea. It's not like I'm the sole decision maker here. No matter what we decide on, make one without any text as well. What do you work in Photoshop or Illustrator?

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 12:29:44 AM »
What do you work in Photoshop or Illustrator?

"I'm great Photoshopper. "

=P

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 05:30:54 PM »
I'm just a volunteer. Let me know if there's anything that needs to be done and I'll do it. : )
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 11:38:27 AM »
I remember Doombot mentioning having a spoiler tag (in anticipation, no doubt of the upcomming FO3) and I think it's a great idea.

I've looked at the two mods for SMF which are supposed to do it, but I can't get either of them to work on a test system.  I think they were built for previous versions of SMF and haven't been updated for v1.1.3.

Now, I've never touched CSS or PHP in my life (I can work with vba, and can recognise C on sight), but I've got a bit of time on my hands, so I spent the last two days ploughing through the various mod files (and the default SMF source files) in an effort to try to get one of these spoiler mods working.  I am, however, extremely close to throwing my hands up in disgust at the whole affair... There are just all these variables... with no context... I can't tell where they come from or what they are supposed to contain.... There isn't even any real indication of where they go or what they intend to do once they get there and have downed a couple of martinis...  Agggghhrrrrrr!!!!

The SMF mod forums are incredibly unhelpful, but there is a wiki in progress which is shaping up to be very nice.  I'll probably keep plugging away at it sporadically (as my sanity allows) but if anyone knows of any other resources that may assist, I'll probably get the job done faster (read - ever).
You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 01:48:25 PM »
I imagine a low-tech spoiler tag could be accomplished by making the board script set all text within the start and end tags for it be black text on a black background.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 03:58:29 AM »
True.  In fact, this is how one of the existing mods is supposed to work.  There is, however, a problem with the way in which it sets up the tag (by modifying the subs.php source file) only I can't see the problem.  It looks fine to me, but it doesn't pass validation (ie won't install).
You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 04:04:00 AM »
True.  In fact, this is how one of the existing mods is supposed to work.  There is, however, a problem with the way in which it sets up the tag (by modifying the subs.php source file) only I can't see the problem.  It looks fine to me, but it doesn't pass validation (ie won't install).

Gotcha. I can't be of much help since I've never done anything with php. And after rereading my post up above, I notice my grammar in that one is appalling.
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 01:08:09 AM »
Is there anyway, we can get one of the Choose your own adventures scripts for the board?

I like those.

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 11:38:15 AM »
On the board? I don't think so, but we can find one to put on main site.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 08:46:16 PM »
On the board? I don't think so, but we can find one to put on main site.

On the main board. =) With a permalink to the story? We had one back in 2000 and it was fun. =)

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 01:16:38 AM »
I vaguely remember that

On the main board. =) With a permalink to the story? We had one back in 2000 and it was fun. =)

I vaguely remember that.. I'll see if I can find a script to modify, otherwise it wouldn't take me long to make one myself. (I'd like to have the advantage of using the users from the forums). But it will take a while, as I'm still working on "something".