Author Topic: we need a new game thread - what games have you been playing lately??  (Read 18774 times)

Starseeker

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Unwashed Doc, Back from Alpha Centuri
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: we need a new game thread - what games have you been playing lately??
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 12:10:05 AM »
Granado Espada, now COMPLETELY free.  Except for some quest bugs, everything is peachy. 

Most of the Sword of New World (the American name for GE for those who don't know) reviews say that if you don't like mega grind korean MMORPGs you'll hate it, but I have to say that the basic mechanics look pretty cool.  I'll probably try the open beta when I get home from work.

I really don't know about that.  I mean, most RPGs have their grind here and there, and you usually grind before the boss to get an extra edge.  The quests are pretty fun(to me), especially when you get to higher levels. Most of the complaints are probably for the pioneer certificates that you can get for killing huge amount of monsters, but those are optional.  I really like the fact that UPC/NPC will actually join you if you fulfill a certain requirement/quests.  And since I need to level up to handle some of the bosses, I might as well get a kill count/reward for it. 
Starseeker, signing off.

Life is short, Fall in Love, Maiden.

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 08:48:15 PM »
Well hey, like I said I'm gonna try it out, so if your servers are the same as the american ones, which realm or zone or whatever are you on and what's your family name or whatever I need to look you up once I'm in?
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 08:59:20 PM »

Most of the Sword of New World (the American name for GE for those who don't know) reviews say that if you don't like mega grind korean MMORPGs you'll hate it, but I have to say that the basic mechanics look pretty cool.  I'll probably try the open beta when I get home from work.

Oh. I didn't know. I was gonna ask, so thanks.

hmmm - I think I should try this.
"there are not many people who can live up to the standard set by goldfish."
~KGF

Thanatos

• Unwashed Apprentice
  • Derivative Archetype
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 09:29:11 PM »
Do it!  It'll be the win! 

edit: Note that the game client you have to download is 3.5 gigs or something crazy like that so if you're planning to try it, you need to start downloading it like way before you plan to actually play it.  I say people should try it out though, we can all pester Starseeker for ph4t l00t and free money.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 09:32:18 PM by Thanatos »
I fall and I leap and
I'm freaking out
Nowhere near my place and I
Know that they've seen me now

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 02:00:28 AM »
I've been playing Psychonauts a bit recently, other than that, I'm playing Visual Studio or Eclipse.

I tried Bioshock.. Didn't think it was all that great.

Starseeker

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Unwashed Doc, Back from Alpha Centuri
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 04:58:35 AM »
Do it!  It'll be the win! 

edit: Note that the game client you have to download is 3.5 gigs or something crazy like that so if you're planning to try it, you need to start downloading it like way before you prawn to actually play it.  I say people should try it out though, we can all pester Starseeker for ph4t l00t and free money.

LOL  ;D

They have 3 North American Servers now, and one European server.  I am most active in Orpesia, which is a non Baron pvp server.  One thing I am happy with is their technical support, I submitted a ticket regarding a quest bug, and my problem was solved within a hour.  The fact that I am not a paying customer doesn't seem to matter.  There are quite a few girls playing this game, since they can wear all the frilly dresses while killing monsters.   :P

Btw, after dl the game client, you still need to patch it, which will take it while, so just leave it on while it does its thing.  One last important thing, you might run into problems with their security software, because I did as well.  There are different solutions to different problems that may arise, check the forums for the most comprehensive solutions.

Constansa on Ospesia.  I didn't want to start on a pvp server until I know what I am doing. 
Starseeker, signing off.

Life is short, Fall in Love, Maiden.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2007, 05:48:24 AM »

Oh. I didn't know. I was gonna ask, so thanks.

hmmm - I think I should try this.

*talks to self*

Signed her up for LOTRO trial and she never even got on.

*grumble*

:'(
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2007, 07:11:26 AM »
lol

I did so, I did so!!

I keep meaning to chat with you about it! Busy busy busy.

In fact  tried it, the hubby tried it and my kid tried it. Ryley is still pretty hooked on WoW though.
~KGF

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 07:21:51 AM »
lol

I did so, I did so!!

I keep meaning to chat with you about it! Busy busy busy.

In fact  tried it, the hubby tried it and my kid tried it. Ryley is still pretty hooked on WoW though.

You should have let me know when you'd be on!  I could have at least ported you around to look at some places like Bree, Hobbiton, Rivendell and such. I gave Solwyn and his wife the grand tour the other day and they had a great time with it.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Sylvee Bee

• Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2007, 07:28:42 AM »
:(

I had been so busy at the time, the few times I got a chance to play it was very random and I myself didn't know I was gonna play, let alone tell someone ahead of time!

darnit, that would have been cool to!
~KGF

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2007, 11:31:36 AM »
I've continued with the Tabula Rasa beta, and my verdict is that one is a keeper when it goes live. It reminds me of AO in some ways and I suspect there's elements of Planetside in there, but I've never played that one.

Even for a beta, it seems to run rather well and my rig can push the detail settings right up. For me, it's a nice sci-fi setting which is what I prefer over the fantasy theme, seems to have enough to do, though the UI takes some getting used to. If they squash a few bugs, a tweak here and there, they've got a very solid base to expand on and plug more content in as the game progresses.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2007, 05:16:46 PM »

That's ok. If you had met up with me we might have used the in game voice chat and then, like Doomsie, you'd be afraid of the DDV©.   :(

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2007, 05:18:04 PM »
Guitar Hero 2 and Dead Rising.

WoW every once in a while.

can't wait for the end of October, Guitar Hero 3 comes out... with a sexy Les Paul controller.

datamies

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2007, 08:27:40 PM »
can't wait for the end of October, Guitar Hero 3 comes out... with a sexy Les Paul controller.

I'll probably get that one too, but I'm waiting more for the Rock Band myself. I'm not into Fenders in real life, but the new controller seems nice. The drum controller is why I really want that game though. I don't want to buy any more games for PS2, so I need to decide if I'll get a 360 or a PS3. Any suggestions? Anyone? I'm not planning to move to Blu-ray anytime soon, so that doesn't matter as a feature.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2007, 08:47:40 PM »

That's ok. If you had met up with me we might have used the in game voice chat and then, like Doomsie, you'd be afraid of the DDV©.   :(

Oh we need to do that. A UV raid. =) I should ask for my headphones back.
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!