Author Topic: Hello out there in internet land!  (Read 8106 times)

Nik

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
Re: Hello out there in internet land!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 08:32:09 PM »
Oops.  Sorry for starting a thread and then disappearing.  That leads directly into my answer to this question:

Hey Nik, what's crack-a-lackin'.  You do nanowrimo this year?

No, i didn't do nanowrimo this year.  Instead i started grad school, which kinda ate (and continues to eat) my life.  Sigh.

Jeff

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 09:22:41 PM »
Welcome back!

<--- Ozy

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 10:11:01 PM »
Instead i started grad school, which kinda ate (and continues to eat) my life.  Sigh.

I just finished grad school. What are you going for? Masters? Ph. D.?
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Bubonic

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Trying not to feed the Yao Guai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 12:28:36 AM »
Na_Day = TSSR. 

Oh wow.  Now that is going back a good long while.  Thanks Tink.
You know what Freud says : You gotta think twice before you penis.
--Solwyn

Blue Elf shot the potion!
--Gauntlet

The UV Bungie Cord is strong.
--Doombot

Nik

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 02:55:02 AM »
Instead i started grad school, which kinda ate (and continues to eat) my life.  Sigh.

Congrats!  That is a sentence i hope to someday be able to utter myself.

I'm going for a PhD, so, uh... i'll be here awhile.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 01:56:24 PM »

Impressive. What discipline and do you know what your Masters thesis will be on yet?

(I was in a professional Masters program so I didn't have to do a thesis for it. Granted, I won't be able to ever get a PhD without having an academic Masters, which means I'd have to fill a couple missing requirements if I ever decide to, but it's unlikely I'll ever pursue anything beyond my masters, at least for computer science. I might consider going to law school someday, though.)
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Nik

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 02:08:27 PM »

Impressive. What discipline and do you know what your Masters thesis will be on yet?

(I was in a professional Masters program so I didn't have to do a thesis for it. Granted, I won't be able to ever get a PhD without having an academic Masters, which means I'd have to fill a couple missing requirements if I ever decide to, but it's unlikely I'll ever pursue anything beyond my masters, at least for computer science. I might consider going to law school someday, though.)

Computer engineering... it's sort of a sideways shift from my undergrad field, computer science.  No idea what my thesis'll be yet, but it'll likely be something to do with wireless sensor networks or mobile ad-hoc wireless networks.  (Or mobile ad-hoc wireless sensor networks?  Oh the possibilities are endless.)

Right now i'm working on a final project for a CE class i'm taking that's taught by my advisor.  The project is due at 3 p.m. today.  It's 5 a.m. now and i've been working on the project without a break since 12 p.m. yesterday.  And no signs of being done any time in the near future... whee.  I guess this is kind of like practice for what life will be like when i start my thesis work?

Law school sounds like fun.  (Maybe just right now.)

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 12:38:17 AM »

Computer engineering... it's sort of a sideways shift from my undergrad field, computer science.  No idea what my thesis'll be yet, but it'll likely be something to do with wireless sensor networks or mobile ad-hoc wireless networks.  (Or mobile ad-hoc wireless sensor networks?  Oh the possibilities are endless.)

Right now i'm working on a final project for a CE class i'm taking that's taught by my advisor.  The project is due at 3 p.m. today.  It's 5 a.m. now and i've been working on the project without a break since 12 p.m. yesterday.  And no signs of being done any time in the near future... whee.  I guess this is kind of like practice for what life will be like when i start my thesis work?

Law school sounds like fun.  (Maybe just right now.)

I took a wireless networking course in grad school. Most difficult course I took, so I'm impressed that you'll be looking at it for a thesis. My strengths are on the programming end of computer science, whereas this was all applied math (essentially the opposite side of CS spectrum from programming). Applied math is not my forte. Although, I somehow pulled off an A in the course (the professor must have liked me or something; I was always at his office hours; he must have admired the effort).

And I hope the project turned out well for you.