Author Topic: -digs out her giant stomping robot and dusts it off and goes for a spin!-  (Read 10345 times)

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: -digs out her giant stomping robot and dusts it off and goes for a spin!-
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 03:45:56 AM »
Supposedly they are going to put more emphasis on the lance aspect and the non mech assets are supposedly going to play a bigger role.

That was one thing that I didnt like about the other MW games.. non mechs, with the very rare exception, were relegated to a neusance role.

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 09:48:33 PM »
Yeah all my favorite mechs are the clan ones, I'm gonna have to go back to old school IS stuff and remember what the crap was available back then.
I think the Battlefield idea really has a lot going for it, and just tweak it till they get it right for this kind of combat. Could have a lot of mixed combat that could really be incredibly awesome.

I'm going to have to bust out all my old tech readouts, still think it's an archer but now I just have a little Btech bug going. Should almost use this thread for what kinds of Mech we want to see, based on the time period. Not sure if they'll use any mechs from 3050, but some of them were in use at the end of the Succession Wars, if barely.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 07:08:09 AM »
Yeah all my favorite mechs are the clan ones, I'm gonna have to go back to old school IS stuff and remember what the crap was available back then.

I liked a lot of the old IS designs, like the Wolfhound and the Valkyrie (not a big chance on that being in game, I'd think.) Also really always enjoyed the Zeus, which is often featured in the newer games.

Considering the time line they're putting this game into, it's not far fetched to think a Clan expansion is going to happen. So far the Inner Sphere News Network is mentioning 3048, in 3050 is when the Clans first invaded the Inner Sphere. This could be a really awesome string of games, first and all IS game, then one that lets you actually go through the beginning of the Clan Invasion.

Hatchetman

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 09:34:31 PM »
A lot of the Sphere mechs that were in the 3050 TR are all quite old, most of them go back to the height of the Star League, so almost all the pre-3050 designs are options. That was one of the nicer things about early Battletech, they didn't feel the need to make up new (and often very, very terrible looking) designs to fill endless books when the new mechs have essentially zero difference to ones that came out in the first few tech readouts. Tech readout text itself even says how rare new designs actually were, only to have dozens of them pop up over the next few years.

Sarna.net has all the tech readouts online, brings back memories going through the older ones.

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 02:26:53 AM »
The Hatchetman, for example, was the first truely new design since the Starleague fell and that was released in 3028.

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 03:15:33 AM »
Really makes since given how they basically went through a stunted cycle of tech growth after losing so much know how due to Kerensky leaving the IS.

Could make salvage really interesting, got a lucky head shot and a free mech? Maybe it's core exploded and all you can recover is some weapons which you need badly due to omnimech tech not being around yet, so you need a large laser to replace that destroyed large laser in the field, no time to retrofit to make it work.

What types of mechs do you want to see for this game given the time period, and what's are a few of your favorite mechs (doesn't have to be limited to the game's time frame.)

I really like the Zeus and the Wolfhound, hope both make it into the game.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 04:27:50 PM by Sandru »

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 06:07:40 AM »
I would like to see them actually add melee mechs

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 07:57:46 AM »
That would actually be pretty interesting, being able to actually melee. Would make city fighting and 1v1 duels rather interesting if you get up close and personal.

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 11:32:05 PM »
Actually, now after the latest Twitter post, I think the teaser mech image is probably going to be an Atlas.

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »
So it's Mechwarrior online.

Apparently they couldnt attract the  publishers to resurect the series with a massive epic scale single player game.

So long as they implement it properly.. and hopefully eventually add combined arms.. it has potential.

Hatchetman

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 08:12:45 PM »
I think it's funny they couldn't get any interest... the Mechwarrior Crysis mod is incredibly popular. There's still MW4 servers and modders out there. People still playing a decade old game because there's really nothing else should say something to publishers.

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 10:46:16 PM »
The apparent problem is that they would have to spend the money to build this game from the ground where they could just put a fraction of the developement cost into pumping out another CoD/MoH/Madden/whatever else overly abundent franchise that publishers are currently milking the crap out of.

Hatchetman

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »
My brother has every Madden and NHL going back to ... 1996? He was 10 and I gave him my SNES. It's bizarre.