Author Topic: -digs out her giant stomping robot and dusts it off and goes for a spin!-  (Read 10358 times)

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
So they are finaly starting to ramp out information on the Mechwarrior reboot.

Yay!

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
Oooh, really?  Is this the one they got sued over the teaser for because it had the Warhammer in it?

It'll be interesting to see what they do with multiplayer in the current online gaming climate.

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
So they are finaly starting to ramp out information on the Mechwarrior reboot.

Yay!

Damn, and I thought they had finally nailed Battletech's coffin closed.

/goes digging!

Oooh, really?  Is this the one they got sued over the teaser for because it had the Warhammer in it?

It'll be interesting to see what they do with multiplayer in the current online gaming climate.

Supposedly a guy at Piranha tweeted that the delay wasn't due to Harmany Gold or the Unseen. I think they're ok using the older mechs since some of the newer material from the actual Battletech/Mechwarrior board game was allowed to use the machines (some of them,) again.

I thought this project would have gotten killed with how absent it's been, but man am I stupid happy that it's actually looking like it'll see the light of day! Kind of hope the delay has a positive impact on the game, single player and multi.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 07:05:59 PM by Sandru »

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
I'm liking the comments about making all weight classes necessary - I might actually get to pilot my old Raven again.  Though maybe that'll be too modern for the setting...

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Time to go Commando...

<.<

Thinking about it, it'll be interesting to see how advanced they'll make the 'Mechs, that time period they picked (assuming they're holding to the end of the Third Succession War,) means there's a lot of stuff they can't incorporate. No Clan or recovered Lostech to use, so it'll be pretty basic (not a bad thing.) It'll be nice if they make each type of mech really useful.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 02:31:58 PM by Sandru »

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
If the UAV drone makes it to the release it'll make the mech's paintjob important...hopefully.  Unless it highlights mechs as it flies past.

Saw a video of two guys dissecting the teaser as if it was actual gameplay footage.  Kind of sad.

Hatchetman

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
Can't waaaaaaaaait for the new mechwarrior, especially since I don't have crysis so can't use the living legends mod. Third Succession is also a pretty great time for the game, depending on which part of the war it'd be set around the original mechwarrior computer games (Inception was 3028), and with Zap Weisman running the project I'm really hopeful. And hopefully the Macross-mechs will actually be there.

Also, woah Celest. :o

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
Can't waaaaaaaaait for the new mechwarrior, especially since I don't have crysis so can't use the living legends mod. Third Succession is also a pretty great time for the game, depending on which part of the war it'd be set around the original mechwarrior computer games (Inception was 3028), and with Zap Weisman running the project I'm really hopeful. And hopefully the Macross-mechs will actually be there.

Also, woah Celest. :o

Well, the Warhammer is pretty much confirmed to be in the reboot still, so I'm guessing they're still able to use those mechs. Seems the time period of the game is going on around the year 3048, guessing it's in the end years of the war.

And Swash, hope that kind of thing is important, that'd be a lot of fun.

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
One thing I always wanted in a Mechwarrior game was to have aerotech and infantry as playable roles.  Would need MASSIVE player limits for that though.

Give the infantry objectives to complete that can't be done by mechs - infiltrating bunkers once a 'mech's blown the doors, protecting the (AI) crew at a repair depot, things that can turn the tide.  Maybe even give them access to weapons that can seriously inconvenience a 'mech if ignored.

And then air support so there's a whole air-superiority aspect to things.  Maybe even giving the fighters the ability to fly up into orbit to besiege dropships for particular objectives.

Balance would always be the trick.

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
One thing I always wanted in a Mechwarrior game was to have aerotech and infantry as playable roles.  Would need MASSIVE player limits for that though.

Give the infantry objectives to complete that can't be done by mechs - infiltrating bunkers once a 'mech's blown the doors, protecting the (AI) crew at a repair depot, things that can turn the tide.  Maybe even give them access to weapons that can seriously inconvenience a 'mech if ignored.

And then air support so there's a whole air-superiority aspect to things.  Maybe even giving the fighters the ability to fly up into orbit to besiege dropships for particular objectives.

Balance would always be the trick.

You know when they made elementals playable in some of the later games I thought they were gonna go that way.

Honestly I'd like to see them take some more from the flexibility of the tabletop game. If you get your guns shot off you can pick up a tree and smash a mech to pieces with it, or throw rubble from a burning building at them.

It ended up just being a game of "who has the longest range weapon." My brother would just get a PPC and run backwards while blasting people with it, was incredibly annoying (and incredibly effective).
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

Hatchetman

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
Re: -digs out her giant stomping robot and dusts it off and goes for a spin!-
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 10:01:18 PM »
The Warhammer is pretty much iconic Mechwarrior, but showing it in the trailer is one of the things that started the legal issues. I'm hoping that they're actually past that and they're able to use them.

The table top game had a lot more strategy involved. I dunno if any of you played MW4 or Mercs online extensively back in the old days but the majority of play revolved around assault mechs with high-mounted ERLL nosing up over a hill, firing, then moving back behind the hill. It was horribly dull, and some of the best players could be completely thrown by just not doing that. I was almost disqualified from an online tournament because I didn't play that way and a bunch of other players complained.

One thing that really needs to be brought into the games is the melee potential. Death from above was possible in all the games, but was really more just a side effect of falling damage. Not much is more satisfying than using a mech that sacrificed arm hardpoints to retain its fists and then punching things.

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 10:07:46 PM »
Supposedly one of the developers tweeted that using an Unseen (legal issue mech) wasn't the actual cause for the delay, but they really haven't said anything past that.

Having infantry and aerospace would be awesome, would definitely make multiplayer incredibly amazing and deep. Just imaging that learning curve for all three types, is just awesome. Faster mechs, while more vulnerable would still be able to duck into cover (relatively) faster then the larger ones, aerospace having to watch out for the armaments on some of the bigger mechs (unless they're already engaged on the ground) and infantry having the bonus of size letting them sneak around and help out however they can.

Probably going to be more of a standard mech on mech type of game though, which still won't be bad.

On the developer's actual site, they've got a twitter feed that's basically giving out info on the game but using it as an in universe source of info.

http://www.piranha-games.com/MechWarrior.html

I'd say the mech they're piecing together might be a Dragon or an Archer, but maybe it's a new mech altogether they're being allowed to make for the game. Not sure if they've said or not.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:10:57 PM by Sandru »

Hatchetman

• Tangerine Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 11:12:10 PM »
The Warhammer did set off something with Harmony, it's not supposed to be the current delay but it did cause problems when it first was shown.

That's one of the things I loved in online play, the majority of players in the ERLL boats couldn't hit a Summoner or Hellbringer with it's engines maxed out, those were my traditional rides. I knew a guy who loved using Ravens and his mere presence in games would drive people into rages. Having mechs needing to shoot at player-controlled aeros? That would be brilliant as long as there was a limit to them in online games.

The mech in their latest twitter post I'm pretty sure is an Archer as well, those shoulder pods are pretty distinctive, but the feet aren't the same as the original Macross Spartan.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:14:47 PM by Hatchetman »

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 11:52:57 PM »
Having mechs needing to shoot at player-controlled aeros? That would be brilliant as long as there was a limit to them in online games.

I think the Battlefield model for that would work pretty well.  Have a certain number spawn at the launching area.  Perhaps even have mech pilots able to drop out of their mechs (at the expense of greatly reduced weaponry weight compared to dedicated infantry)

Could go the CoD route too - have particular equipment available that enables different roles.  If you want to pilot a mech you need a cooling vest equipped which takes up a significant portion of your weight limit.  Allows for sidearms and perhaps submachine guns but no body armour and no heavy weapons.  And leaves their mech vulnerable while they're off trying to complete an infantry objective.

Sandru

• Wasteland Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 01:55:48 AM »
I think the Battlefield idea really has a lot going for it, and just tweak it till they get it right for this kind of combat. Could have a lot of mixed combat that could really be incredibly awesome.

I'm going to have to bust out all my old tech readouts, still think it's an archer but now I just have a little Btech bug going. Should almost use this thread for what kinds of Mech we want to see, based on the time period. Not sure if they'll use any mechs from 3050, but some of them were in use at the end of the Succession Wars, if barely.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:58:06 AM by Sandru »