Author Topic: New Fallout 3 preview  (Read 2223 times)

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
New Fallout 3 preview
« on: August 12, 2008, 02:20:14 AM »
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Chucara

• N'est pas une spoon
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: New Fallout 3 preview
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 04:28:15 PM »
Hmm.. I'm both impressed and dissapointed at the same time. It seems to feel less like Fallout and more like [Generic 3D shooter]. I think the world has plenty FPS games at the moment, and I'd much prefer a more tactical game. The VATS helps a lot, however. It's still definitely a game I'd buy, but I'd rather have Fallout 2 with improved graphics and a new storyline. (Keeping the isometric/birds eye view).

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 04:31:31 PM »
Hmm.. I'm both impressed and dissapointed at the same time. It seems to feel less like Fallout and more like [Generic 3D shooter]. I think the world has plenty FPS games at the moment, and I'd much prefer a more tactical game. The VATS helps a lot, however. It's still definitely a game I'd buy, but I'd rather have Fallout 2 with improved graphics and a new storyline. (Keeping the isometric/birds eye view).

Well that's the catch 22 ain't it? Bethesda were damned if they do, damned if they don't right from the start. If they had kept to the isometric style, it's a sure bet there'd be an uproar about that too.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 05:10:14 PM »
My biggest fear over it being made by Bethesda is that it's going to be a repeat of Oblivion. A game that should have had tons of replay value had absolutely none for me. It just turned into a marketing ploy for them to earn extra money by selling improvements to the game that should have been included in the first place or been part of free updates to it. Valve is putting out free updates to TF2 every few months so don't anyone bother with the argument that it can't be done.

Bethesda being involved is the main reason I haven't pre-ordered and will continue to hold out until after Spore and Warhammer.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 07:22:41 PM »
My biggest fear over it being made by Bethesda is that it's going to be a repeat of Oblivion. A game that should have had tons of replay value had absolutely none for me.

for me it had some replay value, i made three characters to get the achievements for it :P
i got screwed out of one due to a glitch that skipped one of my Mage's Guild ranks. so my main concerns are:

- better 360 achievements, as opposed to all "reach *rank* in *Guild*". they can have the storyline ones, but add some more interesting ones... like "Use VATS to score a critical headshot kill", "Steal from X people", or something like that. achievements for getting addicted to certain things would be funny. and maybe some Mass Effect style achievements that modify future characters to give replay value.
- less stupid bugs. Oblivion was FULL of them. i've had to reload games because some NPCs wouldn't spawn.
- oh and separate save slots for each character. another biggie for alt-whores like me :P

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 01:20:01 AM »
alright there's 27 new screenshots :

http://www.digitalsomething.com/news/1181.html

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:24:24 AM by inso »