Author Topic: Recipe Help  (Read 2713 times)

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Recipe Help
« on: June 18, 2009, 02:28:12 AM »
Beginning of the month my grandfather had a stroke. He was in the hospital for two weeks and is more or less fine now.

My grandparents still live in a house on their own. My dad is working on getting some sort of help for them (the whole do chores and cook thing), but i've been there every day this week to help out and try to get them used to both a schedule and someone else doing all the work.

What i'm actually asking is for easy recipes of soft foods that i can prepare and potentially make extra for a quick reheat later on. Bringing this up also counts alot on my grandmother not being a picky eater (not sure how much we can count on that).

To start with, if anyone can help me, both of my grandparents grew up in Lithuania and then WWII happened. I know they both enjoy herring and will eat most fish. i havent gotten into their nuances to know much more than that. i'm not sure if there have been any vegetables on their table at any meal in the past few days, i know i didnt make anything.

thanks in advanced for everything, any help is appreciated.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?

Celest

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Help
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 03:00:24 AM »
Hrm.. well i know an easy recipe for some great chili beans but not sure if that's soft enough.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 03:37:21 AM »
Not recipe help but do they know about IHSS or In Home Supportive Services? I don't know what it's call in your state.

The amount of money given depends on the severity of their disability (problems from old age are valid). Even family members can receive money for taking care of parents. At the very least, you can get someone to cook for them.

With the economy, the requirements for eligibility are stricter but you never know...

But to the recipes...

Spaghetti is easy to make and reheat. You can make it somewhat bland if they have tummy issues.
Tuna and chicken salad keep very well for a few days. They can just smear it on a cracker and eat. Nice and easy. Make it somewhat dry if you want it to keep longer.
Rice dishes are good. The fiber will help them... keep regular.

If you want recipes, here's my favorite recipe site

All recipes – complete resource for recipes and cooking tips
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

Swash

• Administrator
  • Unwashed Apprentice
  • Unwashed Pirate Cap'n
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:09:23 AM »
My only speciality is cheesecake and that could be a touch too rich for the elderly.

AcdQueen89

• Unwashed Villager
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:29:47 PM »
Not recipe help but do they know about IHSS or In Home Supportive Services? I don't know what it's call in your state.

my dad's working on that. he's trying to find a service with a lithuanian speaker who can come to the house.  right now it's a matter of finding someone who fits what they need (once we figure out exactly what they need and have a doctor's note to the fact) and being able to tell whoever it is what to do because my grandmother will be of no help in relating anything useful other that medication/food times.
In case of rapture, can I have your car?