Cynthia McKinney/Rosa Clemente
0 (0%)
Ralph Nader/Matt Gonzalez
0 (0%)
Barack Obama/Joe Biden
9 (60%)
Other
2 (13.3%)
I didn't vote even though I could. I'm bad and deserve to be beaten.
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: November 11, 2008, 06:37:46 AM

Author Topic: Who did you vote for?  (Read 11461 times)

Silver Dragon

• Desert Nomad
  • Go rub two monkeys together and see what happens.
    • View Profile
Re: Who did you vote for?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2008, 03:22:02 AM »
Quote from:  Solwyn
I think we're looking at this in different ways. The only (ONLY) way you are INTENDED to participate in the democratic process is the power of the vote. You're talking about the other side of things... for example.
Yes, and part of that power of the vote includes the ability to abstain from voting.  Abstaining from voting, or voting for no-one, does not remove someone's right to complain.

Quote from:  Wikipedia
Abstention is a term in election procedure for when a participant in a vote either does not go to vote (on election day) or, in parliamentary procedure, is present during the vote, but does not cast a ballot. Abstention must be contrasted with "blank vote", in which a participant in a vote cast a deliberately unlegitimate vote (drawing pictures on the ballot, etc.) or in which he simply casts a blank vote: a "blank (or white) voter" has voted, although his vote may be considered a spoilt vote, depending on each legislation, while an abstentionnist hasn't voted. Both forms (abstention and blank vote) may or may not, depending on the circumstances, be considered as protest vote.

An abstention may be used to indicate the voting individual's ambivalence about the measure, or mild disapproval that does not rise to the level of active opposition. A person may also abstain when they do not feel adequately informed about the issue at hand, or has not participated in relevant discussion. In parliamentary procedure, a member may be required to abstain in the case of a real or perceived conflict of interest.

Yes, there are alternatives and counterpoints in every example I made.

What if I see a movie advertised that I might like, then realize there's an actor in it that I despise?  Can't I complain about that?  I don't have to consume in order to complain.

What if I paid for cable for years, and decide that the programming on all the stations is terrible, and then cancel my cable account,  don't I still have the right to complain about the lack of quality programming?  Or can I only complain about it because I'm a former consumer?

Heheh, yeah, try boycotting McDonald's (for example) and see how fast those prices drop!  :P

Yes, I could email elected legislators, but whether or not I choose to do so shouldn't affect my right to complain.  I can only complain if I email them, even if nothing gets changed?

Yes, there are alternatives to paying exorbitant prices for parking, but whether or not I actually take advantage of those alternatives shouldn't affect my right to complain.  I can complain my little heart out as I ride the bus or walk from half a mile away, or I can complain while I fork over 25$ to park 50 yards away.  What if I never bought tickets, never supported the team financially in any way shape or form, and simply watch the game at home on television?  Do I have the right to complain when the team I'm cheering for performs poorly and loses the game?

I see your point, and agree, if someone is whining specifically over their lack of control over the system, then that is indeed a problem of their own making, as they have every opportunity to take steps to involve themselves.  But complaining about specific things they don't agree with is not the same thing as complaining about having no control over the system.

My point,  meandering as it may be, is action or inaction does not affect anyone's right to complain.  A complaint is an expression of displeasure, and this idea that I only have the right to be displeased about something if I directly involved myself in it is unreasonable.  Everyone has the right to complain about anything and everything under the sun.  Granted, that doesn't mean you have to listen.  ;)

LISTER: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.  In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. NO TOAST.
TOASTER: How 'bout a muffin?
LISTER: OR muffins!  OR muffins!  We don't LIKE muffins 'round here!  We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and DEFINITELY no smegging flapjacks!
TOASTER: Aah, so you're a waffle man!

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
Re: Who did you vote for?
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2008, 03:35:49 AM »
Yeah I think we agree in most cases.

In truth there is no such thing as a "right" to complain, and as long as you live in a free country you can speak whatever dumb crap you want.

But my personal opinion is that I'm sick of people whining about their own inaction, or refusing to act because the system is against them, instead of acting. Once you've acted and tried and nothing has changed, sure say whatever you want.

In other words: Les Whynan and More Thinkin
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."