Author Topic: Activision and Blizzard to merge  (Read 3534 times)

Petrarch

• Unwashed Apprentice
    • View Profile
Activision and Blizzard to merge
« on: December 02, 2007, 06:15:21 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7123582.stm

As I recall Activision is 2nd only to EA in the global stakes, so could we be seeing the stranglehold EA has on the market diminishing in the next few years?

Ironically enough EA could have had the MMO market in their pocket, where it not the fact they cancelled most of the ones they had in development and decided there was no market for it, right about the time it started to take off.

Brugdor

• Unwashed Addict
  • Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Re: Activision and Blizzard to merge
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 06:30:10 PM »
Interesting. I don't expect much to change but if it causes enough of a shake up perhaps WoW will cease to suck.
"When planning a new picture we don't think of grown ups and we don't think of children but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget and that maybe our pictures can help recall." - Walt Disney

Starseeker

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Unwashed Doc, Back from Alpha Centuri
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Well...
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 06:43:58 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7123582.stm

The companies behind Call of Duty and World of Warcraft are merging in a deal which could shake up the global video games industry.

Activision and Blizzard have said they will form "the world's most profitable games business" in a deal worth $18.8bn (£9.15bn).

US-based Activision also makes hit console games such as the Tony Hawk series and Guitar Hero.

Nine million people pay a monthly subscription to play World of Warcraft.

'High-growth industry'

Blizzard is the biggest player in online gaming and Warcraft is the global market leader of what are known as massively multi-player online role-playing games, or MMORPGs.

It is currently owned by the French media group Vivendi.

As part of the merger plan, Blizzard will invest $2bn in the new company, while Activision is putting up $1bn.

The merged business will be called Activision Blizzard and its chief executive will be Activision's current CEO Bobby Kotick. Vivendi will be the biggest shareholder in the group.

http://www.blizzard.com/press/071202.shtml

comments? 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 06:47:04 AM by Starseeker »
Starseeker, signing off.

Life is short, Fall in Love, Maiden.

Hoopy Frood

• Señor Vorpal Kickasso
  • Administrator
  • Unwashed Villager
  • Fnord!
    • View Profile
Re: Well...
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
All right, I’ve been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man whose gonna burn your house down – with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Starseeker

• Wasteland Denizen
  • Unwashed Doc, Back from Alpha Centuri
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Well...
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 01:21:39 AM »
LOL, oops. 

You can merge it, or I shall use this thread to create havoc!   ;D
Starseeker, signing off.

Life is short, Fall in Love, Maiden.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 06:34:15 PM »
Activizzard?

Blizzavision? Blactivision?

:surprised:
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 09:07:34 PM »
I think we'll settle with just: "Crap."
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Doombot

• Unwashed Addict
  • Unwashed Photoshop Goddess
    • View Profile
    • Owl's Pals
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 09:13:56 PM »
Will I get Night Owl points for quitting but not as much for getting fired?
Will I still be a member of the Owl's Pals? I'd hate to turn in my card. It's got a real owl feather under the lamination and everything.

Night Owl: Oh, indeed. I quit many a job ...better than being fired. You can keep your card... in fact, you get double points for quitting!

The SysMan

• Unwashed Villager
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 10:30:46 PM »
Actually, I meant more "actual effluent" but I suppose that is the same thing >.<
"This man seems to possess a dangerous animal cunning... The kind of cleverness to rip off your arms to crush you at chess!"

TSM: A member of the UV since March 1999.
"When God gives you lemons, you find a new God."
Moo.

Solwyn

• Staff
  • Unwashed Villager
  • This target is worth no honor
    • View Profile
    • Nathan St. Pierre.com
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 09:57:28 PM »
Well from what I understand Activision is buying up all of Vivendi's game production branch, which includes Blizzard. To be honest they were the only genuinely successful branch of Vivendi, imo. But the new name will be Activision/Blizzard or something similar, so Vivendi lost its name although I think it's controlling a majority of the shares in the merge.

I'm a little worried. Not terribly, I don't think big companies are all evil by default, but Blizzard is especially not-evil in their publication philosophy, aka "We'll release it when it's done" not "We'll release it full of bugs to coincide with a movie release date." Or "we'd rather throw away all the progress we've made on Starcraft Ghost than try to recoup our losses and release a terrible game."

The reason they've been able to do this is because the suits (guys with money) let the ponytails (creative folks) and propeller heads (coders) call all the shots, and had a really great working relationship with each other. No one ever has to tell anyone else to screw themselves due to the fact that they agree that quality will win over quantity, and it has. Vivendi didn't care as long as the checks came in on time, and they did.

Activision will now be calling the shots, and they have a much longer track record of releasing buggy games and inferior products just to get their money back faster, which I think is a bad strategy in the video game market. I'm not saying it's evil to try to keep your company afloat by throwing out a few shotgun method games (fast release low budget and quality), but I think that gamers are willing to wait and pay more for something they'll play longer and not have to patch ten times after they've installed it (or in the console world, a game that doesn't require four people with their combined eight thumbs to properly navigate the camera).

Just my 2c.
"Honor is the combination of idealism and the practical application of
it without regard for its personal cost to you."

inso

• Wasteland Denizen
  • personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 04:31:18 AM »
Activizzard?

Blizzavision? Blactivision?

:surprised:

hehe, i actually thought the first one when i first heard of the merger name.

we must go into business together!

shall we call ourselves...
InDoom? DoomSo? SoDoom? DoomIn?

</strong bad>